A five-class proposal ...

westsider

Not that anything is going to change but no where around here is there states with as few schools as Kentucky with 6 classes.

WV 132 schools 3 classes

Indiana 280 schools 5 classes

VA 308 schools 3 classes

TN 375 schools 3 classes but I believe they hand out 6 Titles

MO 580 schools 6 classes

PA 598 schools 4 classes

IL 760 schools 8 classes

MI 768 schools 4 classes but 8 titles

OH 820 schools 6 classes

Tennessee hands out 6 plus a private title I believe. VA hands out 6 titles in their three classes. You researched some but not enough. Those aren't the only states in America that you listed too. You can take samples and twist them any way you want.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee hands out 6 plus a private title I believe. VA hands out 6 titles in their three classes. You researched some but not enough. Those aren't the only states in America that you listed too. You can take samples and twist them any way you want.
Tennessee has 300 schools in the six classes that make up Division I ... that doesn't count the private-school division.

Actually I know the KHSAA (and a large majority of the football coaches) are happy with what we have now and that is the way it will be at least for the next 4 years.
I really don't think "a large majority" of coaches favor six classes ... I know several that were happy with four.

There was imput from the coaches association and I believe a very lage majority was in favor. Maybe someone can come up the the info.
Was there input from certain representatives of the coaches association or a significant portion of the state's coaches? At the time, some coaches I know were wondering where the push for six classes was coming from ... the "coaches" or the KHSAA.

Was there input from certain representatives of the coaches association or a significant portion of the state's coaches? At the time, some coaches I know were wondering where the push for six classes was coming from ... the "coaches" or the KHSAA.

I would like to know what coaches were/are against it. Of all the coaches I have ever had conversation with over the last 4 years there were NONE against 6 classes. I will say it isn't more that 30-40 coaches that I have spoken to.

Hot shot, westsider and others not in favor of the 6 classes, I want to apologize for the tone of the above post. It was unnecessary and driven by my exasperation with the repeated threads questioning the 6 classes. I get it: some folks don't like it. But it's done and over with. It isn't going to change at least not for the next 4 years and if it changes thereafter, such won't be because fans or posters don't like it. The KHSAA thinks there are valid reasons for the 6 classes; others don't. But I just wish people would accept that it's here to stay and move on.

I enjoy the discussion, so I don't expect the debate to die down even if the matter is "settled". Question when 6 classes was institued, what was the reason stated for the change?

I would like to know what coaches were/are against it. Of all the coaches I have ever had conversation with over the last 4 years there were NONE against 6 classes. I will say it isn't more that 30-40 coaches that I have spoken to.

Chicken nuggets and oil changes - would coaches ever make a decision not in their own self interest?

Chicken nuggets and oil changes - would coaches ever make a decision not in their own self interest?

6 classes creates more opportunity for kids and teams to be successful. This will create more interest and more participation. This is HS football the more kids playing the better. So what 4 teams make the playoffs, so what there are blowouts.

Part of 'the problem' is that there is state and nothing else. Districts are meaningless and there really is no such as a 'Region' any more. So it is 'State' or nothing. And you have districts that are stretched across a quarter or more of the state. 6 classes and the associated chopped up districts and classes create massive additional travel costs for this state and keep kids and fans on the road too much - during the season and especially during the 'survivor-type' playoff period.

Here is a 4 class proposal.

4 Classes - 56 - 60 teams per class (226 schools so 226 / 4 = 56.5)

Districts:

- 3 or 4 teams in size.

- District Champion determined by regular season play only. Determined by pure district record and head to head play.

Regions:

- Regions would be the paired districts. Regions would be 7 to 8 teams.

- Region play would also be round robin during the season. So 6 or 7 of your games are now booked. You only have to fill 3 or 4 vs. 5 or 6 as needed now.

- There would be a 'regular season Region' winner but it would not be the Regional Champion. What it would be good for is a bye in the first week for Regions with only 7 teams (vs. 8). This would be the majority of regions so long as classes and regions are evenly split.

- Regional tournament format - blind draw, Quarters, Semis, finals - 3 weeks. Why blind draw? It provides that randomness that could pair top teams early and allow the up and coming schools to advance further.

State Tournament:

- 8 Regional Champions Play in Quarters, Semis and Finals. Structure into East-West or Metro-Statewide for Quarters and Semis. The semis would then be a 'Super-Regional' Champion akin to the Jefferson County vs. Statewide in 4A in the 80s.

So what do you have with this?

More localized play that promotes more local rivalries and interest. (And a lot less travel)

64 legitimate 'District Champions'

32 legitimate 'Regional Champions'

8 legitimate 'Super Regional Champions' (East Super Regional, West Super Regional, etc.)

4 State Champions.

This is a customized version of the Indiana format. But with 4 classes the math works out perfectly and with the East-West, Metro-State Wide alignments the Super Regional concept is a natural.

You also get EVERY school into the playoffs. This is a format that supports ALL SCHOOLS in the playoffs and does no create the stupidity of keeping a very small minority out of the playoffs. If you want kids to experience post season - then get them ALL into the post season. There seems to be a view that is OK to disadvantage a small minority of kids - as long as its a real small minority. A mentor once taught me - never cut one kid from a team for they will live with that for the rest of their lives that they were the only one cut. If you cut - cut 2 or more. Well, that is how we should fell about the 30 or so schools that are currently left out of the playoffs. Its stupid. If participation is your argument - then get them all into the post season!

So there it is. The numbers are perfect. It allows for a lot of measuring points (i.e. levels of champions) and gets every kid into the post season. 4 classes works for this state and the math works if you quite trying 'fix' things you can not fix with playoff structure.

Edited by Bluegrasscard
Minor formating and wording that is less objectable

6 classes creates more opportunity for kids and teams to be successful. This will create more interest and more participation. This is HS football the more kids playing the better. So what 4 teams make the playoffs, so what there are blowouts.

If six is good then seven is better and eight is great and if it is good for football then it is good for every other sport.

At this point all I would really like to know is why six (6) and why just football?

There are only 32 teams in the NFL so winning the "SUPER BOWL" is a joke? So what there are 6 state champions, 24 region champs, and 48 district champs. It's high school football and the more success that is available the more kids will play..

Comparing the NFL and KY HS football is the real joke?? So approximately 1 in 37 wins a state championship, 1 in 9 wins a regional, and 1 in 4.5 win a district; if they could only award "sub-districts", we could probably achieve your goal of awarding everyone a championship.

Regarding your last statement, show me where more kids are playing due to 6 classes??

It also creates a joke of a playoff system, where winless teams make the "playoffs"?? Even the NBA or NHL aren't that silly!!

Heck I bet you think the Bengals should be a playoff team, just so Mike Brown's feelings don't get hurt?? :D

Comparing the NFL and KY HS football is the real joke?? So approximately 1 in 37 wins a state championship, 1 in 9 wins a regional, and 1 in 4.5 win a district; if they could only award "sub-districts", we could probably achieve your goal of awarding everyone a championship.

Regarding your last statement, show me where more kids are playing due to 6 classes??

I agree, comparing the 2 is a joke. Where did I say my goal was everyone win a championship, show me where that is? My question is simply whats wrong with letting more KIDS and SCHOOLS win a district, region or state championships. How does it hurt? I would like to know number of players now as compared to 6 years ago. Not sure that is something the KHSAA keeps records on.

It also creates a joke of a playoff system, where winless teams make the "playoffs"?? Even the NBA or NHL aren't that silly!!

Heck I bet you think the Bengals should be a playoff team, just so Mike Brown's feelings don't get hurt?? :D

NO I don't think the Bengals should make the playoffs. You must be my wife because for some reason you keep wanting to tell me what my goal is and what I think. I bet the winless teams stay winless after their playoff game also. Maybe you should just stop watching and worrying about KY high school football and you wouldn't be so stressed.