Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A five-class proposal ...

Featured Replies

I heard this suggested and discussed recently among friends and seriously wonder that if it would be approved if proposed.

 

It's a pretty easy proposal ... five classes.

 

Four classes, nearly identical to the four-class setup we had from 1975-2006, with one exception.

 

Trinity and St. Xavier would be placed in a class by themselves in 5A, because of their significant enrollment advantage. The two schools would meet for the 5A state championship every year.

 

They would be free to play all comers ... the Louisville/Kentucky public schools, the Cincinnati/Indianapolis/Tennessee powerhouses, whoever they can get on the schedule.

 

Thoughts?

  • Replies 89
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, once those two are out of the way, who would be next?

Maybe each school could have their own class so everyone gets a state championship. Or let's not crown state championships and just give everyone a participation ribbon. You have the same elite schools in their respective class. Let's face it, there is about 5 schools in each class that have a legitimate chance at a state championship every year.

I heard this suggested and discussed recently among friends and seriously wonder that if it would be approved if proposed.

 

It's a pretty easy proposal ... five classes.

 

Four classes, nearly identical to the four-class setup we had from 1975-2006, with one exception.

 

Trinity and St. Xavier would be placed in a class by themselves in 5A, because of their significant enrollment advantage. The two schools would meet for the 5A state championship every year.

 

They would be free to play all comers ... the Louisville/Kentucky public schools, the Cincinnati/Indianapolis/Tennessee powerhouses, whoever they can get on the schedule.

 

Thoughts?

Kinda boring .

I believe that there needs to be five classes instead of six, far too much lopsidedness going on with six classes.

I like it myself, but, if you're gonna have just 2 teams in one class, then make them 2 play in the 6a state championship and split the other teams into 5 classes...

If you check scores from other states, they are somewhat comparable to our finals. There are many blowouts. I was watching a Washington state final and the score was 49-0 in the middle of the second quarter. Sometimes superior teams are just that, superior. I think the KHSAA is happy with what we have now and that is the way it will be.

If you check scores from other states, they are somewhat comparable to our finals. There are many blowouts. I was watching a Washington state final and the score was 49-0 in the middle of the second quarter. Sometimes superior teams are just that, superior. I think the KHSAA is happy with what we have now and that is the way it will be.

 

The difference between most states that have 6 classes is they have 4 or 5 times as many schools as Kentucky. It's one thing to have a blowout when the superior team is the best of 100 schools, it's another thing when they are superior to 28 teams like Kentucky. I personally would like to see 3 classes with T, X, Highlands, Cov Cath, Ryle, Male, Bell County, etc in the largest class battling it out.

If you check scores from other states, they are somewhat comparable to our finals. There are many blowouts. I was watching a Washington state final and the score was 49-0 in the middle of the second quarter. Sometimes superior teams are just that, superior. I think the KHSAA is happy with what we have now and that is the way it will be.

 

Actually I know the KHSAA (and a large majority of the football coaches) are happy with what we have now and that is the way it will be at least for the next 4 years.

The difference between most states that have 6 classes is they have 4 or 5 times as many schools as Kentucky. It's one thing to have a blowout when the superior team is the best of 100 schools, it's another thing when they are superior to 28 teams like Kentucky. I personally would like to see 3 classes with T, X, Highlands, Cov Cath, Ryle, Male, Bell County, etc in the largest class battling it out.

 

There are many states with similar populations that have just as many classes.

I agree that five or four classes would be better from a competitive standpoint, but I don’t think placing St. X and Trinity in a class by themselves does anything except punish them for being good. Should Highlands also be punished? What about Boyle? I agree with BF, where does it stop?

So would the Trinity and St. X kids only play one playoff game a year (11 games total)? That seems fair to those kids...

Actually I know the KHSAA (and a large majority of the football coaches) are happy with what we have now and that is the way it will be at least for the next 4 years.

 

I bet they are. Much easier to defend your coaching abilities when you advance farther in the playoffs/win district/have a winning record etc.

I like it myself, but, if you're gonna have just 2 teams in one class, then make them 2 play in the 6a state championship and split the other teams into 5 classes...

 

Tried that already. Now we'll just put them in the same district in 6A and get the game between those two out of the way much sooner.:D

The only argument for this would be the large disparity in male population that these two schools have over their counterparts, otherwise they are being punished for their sucess.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.