Simon Kenton 63 Walton-Verona 50

A little fine tuning? Your starting guards have gotten 25 to 27 minutes a game and have been outscored 103pts to 26pts. Looks to me like a overhaul should be coming.

An overhaul should occur but it probably won't. Again I will say, without a point guard on the floor, the production of others will suffer.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An overhaul should occur but it probably won't. Again I will say, without a point guard on the floor, the production of others will suffer.

I couldn't agree with you more that no changes will happen because Walton's head coach just doesn't get it or doesn't want to get it. With their current starting line-up, they will be lucky to win the All A region title again and have no chance to win the big regional championship. Changes are needed now, not later.

Sandlin and Judy are just Sophmores and received several interests from playing aau ball. Of course time will tell, but the opportunities are there. Letters have been sent and doors are open. I say congrats to them and good luck in their future.

I am an innocent bystander in all of this, but any one that believes that Cory Miller (Walton's coach) isn't a wonderful coach is either blind or doesn't understand basketball. The problem that he faces is that he has some talent down low, and a tough time getting them the ball...I think that Walton has a good team and will challenge for the district/region titles, but outside of their three bigs, (Judy, Sandlin, and Dixon) they are pedestrian...they have a couple of streaky spot-shooters (Slavey and Taulbee) that can't shoot off of the dribble or off of a pick, and two girls (Hoffa and Ginn) that are tough, do-it-all types that are better kids and athletes than they are basketball players. I don't mean to put anyone down, but a coach is as good as his talent - Calipari isn't any better with X's and O's than Tubby Smith...he just has much better talent...

For those of you that think Coach Miller and his staff haven't GREATLY IMPROVED the chances of Walton by being there, you are crazy!!

I am an innocent bystander in all of this, but any one that believes that Cory Miller (Walton's coach) isn't a wonderful coach is either blind or doesn't understand basketball. The problem that he faces is that he has some talent down low, and a tough time getting them the ball...I think that Walton has a good team and will challenge for the district/region titles, but outside of their three bigs, (Judy, Sandlin, and Dixon) they are pedestrian...they have a couple of streaky spot-shooters (Slavey and Taulbee) that can't shoot off of the dribble or off of a pick, and two girls (Hoffa and Ginn) that are tough, do-it-all types that are better kids and athletes than they are basketball players. I don't mean to put anyone down, but a coach is as good as his talent - Calipari isn't any better with X's and O's than Tubby Smith...he just has much better talent...

For those of you that think Coach Miller and his staff haven't GREATLY IMPROVED the chances of Walton by being there, you are crazy!!

You are entitled to your opinion and I am too. Because my opinion along with some others differs from yours on Coach Miller, you then state we are either blind or don't know basketball. Let me tell you, I know basketball pretty darn well and am only stating what I have seen over the past 3yrs. If you don't see the same things, fine, you again are entitled to your opinion.

Sandlin and Judy are just Sophmores and received several interests from playing aau ball. Of course time will tell, but the opportunities are there. Letters have been sent and doors are open. I say congrats to them and good luck in their future.

Last year when Moss and Critteneden were "only sophomores" they could put up 30pts on any given night. Either one of them could take over a game at anytime. They do have D-1 qualities, and did as "only sophomores". As matter of fact, they both did as "only freshmen". What kind of numbers did these girls put up last year? My guess is neither one of them average double digits in any catagory. I don't even remember the Judy girl playing varsity last year. To say either one of these girls have D-1 talent is simply foolish right now. I will say out of the two Judy is a much better player than Sandlin from what i have seen. Walton does have some talent down there, but I did not see any D-1 talent on the floor Friday when we played WV. Sydni was probably the best player on the floor with Dixon being the second best. I still maintain that the best player you guys have by far is Dixon. Let's face it, if Dixon is not in foul trouble this is a totally different game. No one else from Walton stepped up to fill the void when Dixon was on the bench in foul trouble. And I can assure you that nowhere in coach Stowers scouting report did it say we must stop Judy and/or Sandlin in order to beat Walton. I can also assure you that the names of Dixon, Salavey, and Talubee were high concerns on SK's game plan.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am too. Because my opinion along with some others differs from yours on Coach Miller, you then state we are either blind or don't know basketball. Let me tell you, I know basketball pretty darn well and am only stating what I have seen over the past 3yrs. If you don't see the same things, fine, you again are entitled to your opinion.

Wow...where to begin.....in the efforts to repeatedly express "opinions" on who "knows" what is going on, what should happen, and yadda yadda yadda for this team, I certainly hope these girls are not reading these posts. There is a wide variety of talent at this "small" school, and where it's not developed yet that allows them to beat or be competitive with "talent pool" sizes of Boone, Ryle, etc. players are utilzied, where the coach puts them. Blame on lack of ability for the season is going from the coaching to the players. Facts may be the facts....Coach Miller knew before taking the job the school size and talent pool WV had......work with it. The players are doing the best they can under the direction. The players are playing for the love of the game...to win what they can....and to go as far ...as they can.....period.

I would agree that Kelli Dixon is the most productive player Walton has night in and night out. She did score 23 or 26 points against Sydney Moss of Boone County. Kelli has had a nice career at Walton. She will be missed next year. Keep up the good work Kelli. :ylsuper:

Tiger1 - I apologize for making the inflammatory comment - the great thing about America is we are able to have our own opinion and voice it - you showed a lot of class by not blasting me - I didn't mean to put anyone else down (although what I wrote did). As a former bball coach, I just hated when people would say things like "Great Game Coach". As a coach, you don't score a basket nor do you defend one. On the same token, coaches do have a large impact on the culture of a team and program, and the best ones always put their teams in the best position to be successful. I just think very highly of Coach Miller, and believe that every problem Walton has had can't be only attributed to him or his staff - the girls have to do a better job handling pressure, and individuals have to do more than 'just shoot' and stay out of foul trouble...

Tiger1 - I apologize for making the inflammatory comment - the great thing about America is we are able to have our own opinion and voice it - you showed a lot of class by not blasting me - I didn't mean to put anyone else down (although what I wrote did). As a former bball coach, I just hated when people would say things like "Great Game Coach". As a coach, you don't score a basket nor do you defend one. On the same token, coaches do have a large impact on the culture of a team and program, and the best ones always put their teams in the best position to be successful. I just think very highly of Coach Miller, and believe that every problem Walton has had can't be only attributed to him or his staff - the girls have to do a better job handling pressure, and individuals have to do more than 'just shoot' and stay out of foul trouble...

Really no need to apologize. I do agree with some of your statements that the girls have to do a better job during the games and that the coach doesn't play in the game...but with that said, I believe Coach Miller could put the team in a better position to be succeed by possibly experimenting with some other line-up that might provide more production than what the team is getting right now...since it is so early in season what could it hurt. Hopefully things will get turned around at Walton.

Johnny Wooden, Bobby Knight, Adolph Rupp, Pat Summit, Dean Smith, Denny Crum - you name them - could coach at W-V and many would find fault with them. That said, this list is just to make a point, and no one is comparing any past or present W-V coach with the previously-stated list of coaches. Just saying that of any program over the last few years, the criticism of coaches at this school, on this web site, has been extraordinarily high - more so than at any other I can think of.

Come to think of it, this may be a contributing factor in the frequent W-V coaching turnover the past few years. Why is this? It is not a good reflection on anyone, and it makes outsiders scratch their heads and wonder about the alledged "fans" and "supporters" of the program. Support the coaches and cheer for the kids - be positive and get rid of the venom! That's what adults are supposed to do, not take anonymous pot-shots at coaches who are working hard to help their kids and school.