What makes the game special?

BelfryJustice

What makes football so special at your high school? Is it the food? Is it the fans? Is it the team? Is it the coach? Is it the battle? I hear and have read many post about the fields, but I want to hear what makes your syetem the best and so special? What are some the things that you want to see or do when you go to the game?

It's the kids...how hard they work each day to be the best they can!!

The look in their eyes when they've just won a game or the sadness you see when they've just lost.

Football is much like life..It has it's great days and it's bad days...

I've watched kids that have learned something about themselves in the game of football and have go on to use it in the game of life!!

It's the kids...how hard they work each day to be the best they can!!

The look in their eyes when they've just won a game or the sadness you see when they've just lost.

Football is much like life..It has it's great days and it's bad days...

I've watched kids that have learned something about themselves in the game of football and have go on to use it in the game of life!!

Well said

I agree with Tony Danza, as far as the concept and my love for high school sports in general. As far as my love for MANUAL football, that goes back years.

Back in the day, when my brothers were playing, and people would ask me if I was going to play, I was like "NOOOOO!!!" as sports was completely uninteresting to me, and I just didn't like it. Time went by, and at one point I was practically forced to play for St. Margaret Mary... that lasted an entire week. I didn't even get to the first game (which I regret to this day). But something opened up in me.. a certain admiration for the people that were playing the sport. But still, I hated it... It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.. I came in thinking about how much I'd hate it, and that made me hate it moreso. So more time went by, until the Male-Manual game of RowdyRedRams senior year. I had been to the games before, and had seen the blowouts. But this time, I think it really set in as to what I was watching... and as the game went on, I wanted more and more to see my brothers team succeed his senior year. The game wasn't pretty. Male, as usual in that time, dominated and showed no mercy. But man, did I want revenge. It was at that game that I decided I was going to play football for Manual, and that my brothers would get to see one of the teams that a Ram brother was on beat Male.

That happened, my junior year, in 01.

So the old rivalry, in it's tradition, is basically why I love Manual. The whole history and connection that goes on and on through many families and friends, some not even realized. It's something I'm so proud to be a part of.

Football is like no other sport..it takes the team to all work together for the play to work. In basketball and baseball it's more individual....a homerun requires no teamwork...not all jumpshots do either. But almost every touchdown does. There's something special about seeing 11 kids working together for a common goal.

Brotherhood is what makes X's system so special. Their program is very focused on the team and not the player. X does not put the players' names on their jerseys. They are not representing Smith or Jones or whoever...they are St. X...hence the cheer..."We are St.X" Players design their own "team" shirts. Players here pride themselves on working hard..they push each other in practices and do not accept "coasting" by fellow teammates.

The coaches foster and encourage this Band of Brothers. The have taken a page from the military. They realize that extreme conditioning will instill extreme pride and an extreme loyality between players.

I have to say it is a little of all the things all of you have said. It is the atmosphere in the stadium, the players on the field, the coaches on the sidelines, the fans in the bleachers and the LOVE of the game. It is also how those kids learn to work together and the fact that as their lives go forward they can use what they have been taught to be more productive members of society.

There is just so much to say why it is so special to me. My 4yrs of high school, which revolved around football, was the greatest 4yrs of my life. Belfry has such a tradition. You hear the saying over and over "Once a Pirate, Always a Pirate. That is so true. You are a part of a family. We don't have to have class reunions, because every Friday night during the Fall is like a reunion. We still come to the games after 5,10,15,20+ years and cheer like we are all still freshman. My love for Belfry and all involved runs deep on those sidelines, in the stands, and watching from above.

It's all about the pride you take in representing your school.Football is the sport where kids take the most pride, in some cases.Having your team name across your chest, playing in front of the home fans, and playing for a great coach, there's nothing like it.

Just knowing that those guys are out there on the field, with the stands full of fans, playing the game they love is what makes it so special to me. Most of them boys lives revolve around football, and just knowing that they're doing what they love is like nothing you could ever imagine. I have the biggest amount of respect for all the dedication them boys put into their team.