Mitt Romney working hard for the 2012 nominee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. It's just that when people say "Christian," they generally mean "politically conservative Christian." IMO, it's pretty rare that "liberal" pops up in peoples' minds when they hear "Christian."

And there's another thread going right now debating the political leaning of Jesus, so I won't go there. :D

I guess I can see where you're coming from but I don't totally agree. Too many walks of life that fall under the Christian umbrella for me to generalize.

I'm hoping....That guys got more than a few screws loose.

You mean stuff like this?

If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague

It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents.

I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk

I think the radical view is to say that we're going to change the definition of marriage so that it can mean two men, two women, a man and three women, a man and a child, a man and animal
Wow! This guy is going to sweep the gay vote.

I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution. But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And that's what we need to do – to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards
A Theocracy is going to be a blast!

Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?
Ok, I laughed on that one. At least we know that a Huckabee vs Romney debate would be funny.

You forgot "Birkenstock wearining". :D

How 'bout granola chomping, dope smoking, VW bus driving, tie-died shirt wearing, infrequently bathing........I grew up in the SF Bay Area during the 70's - I could go on forever.

Don't worry Rockmom. I know these don't apply to you.:thumb:

It's pretty simple really. Christians are the msot judgemental people of all. They judge everything you do, all the while claiming to be doing the work of Christ. If you don't belong to their sect of beliefs you're going to hell. Yet they preach acceptance. Hypocritical and judgemental. The best two words to describe Christians.

Sounds pretty judgmental.:D

As a former Mormon (raised then moved on), the things that draw people in to Mormonism are some of their strong values and a lot of comforting teachings. For those that believe in God, it can be bothersome to have the idea that those who do not or did not become Christian during their lives spend eternity in Hell. Mormons believe in baptism for the dead, and an afterlife before heaven where those that did not accept the teachings during life can accept it then. A second chance if you will. They teach about families being together forever and all that. Lots of comforting, emotional stuff.

Many of their teachings directly contradict Biblical teachings. The problem is that they have their own translation of the Bible, where things "that were lost" are added back in, which erase those contradictions. This creates a situation where those things seem perfectly normal to Mormons, but crazy to those that don't believe in their translation. You pretty much have to believe in Mormonism to believe they don't contradict.

When you're in it, things don't look the same way that they do to those outside, which is why it looks crazy to you, and now to me. There's a lot they hold back from you until later in life, "when you're ready". Like that their temple practices are lifted almost in their entirety from Freemasonry. Like that they believe Mormons who go to the Celestial Kingdom (think highest level of heaven) will become Gods and Goddesses and have their own universes to create and rule over. And the list goes on. When I started scraping the surface of those things at age 18, I was outta there. It's no coincidence that the characteristics I just described (normal to them but no one else, divergent teachings that they hold back until later) are often associated with cults.

Now, I do think it's an odd statement to say they scare you. I don't know what you think they're going to do differently than anyone else as POTUS. There were people when JFK was elected that said the Pope would rule the United States. It's nonsense. Religion is a tool to most politicians anyway.

I do agree that the South Park episode was pretty spot on with most stuff. Again, it's that weird situation where because they believe, it doesn't seem odd to them. Stuff like "God told me not to retranslate the pages because he is angry with me for giving them to you." To everyone on the outside, that equals "No crap, you can't duplicate it."

DF, didn't the Mormon church split or something? Isn't there a fundamental and more modern version? What's the difference, if you know? Or am I mistaken?

How 'bout granola chomping, dope smoking, VW bus driving, tie-died shirt wearing, infrequently bathing........I grew up in the SF Bay Area during the 70's - I could go on forever.

Don't worry Rockmom. I know these don't apply to you.:thumb:

I LOVE granola! :D Oh...and I confess...There have been Saturdays that I never got out of my PJ's, let alone bathed. :lol:

DF, didn't the Mormon church split or something? Isn't there a fundamental and more modern version? What's the difference, if you know? Or am I mistaken?
There is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and several other similar groups. These are the ones that make headlines for polygamy and have the raids happen. The LDS DOES NOT recognize these groups and saying they are represenatitive of Mormons is more or less equating that the 9/11 bombers are representative of Muslims as a whole.

Most of these groups split off when the LDS renounced polygamy (due to political pressure on Utah becoming a state).

Reading about the Mormon faith is actually very fascinating.

There've been several splits over the years. The most major is the Community of Christ, formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS). They have 250,000 members, and the onus of their split was the belief a descendant of Joseph Smith should always be their "prophet", though they have other differing beliefs that developed. They had a descendant of Joseph Smith as their leader until 1996. The most well-known is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, because they still practice polygamy (a belief of LDS that was removed when it became culturally unacceptable to continue - something that has happened more than once in their belief system). In all, there are six active groups, including the Mormon Church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) that have diverged from the founding under Joseph Smith.

formerkywrestler is also right, that they are not part of the church you think of when you think of Mormons. The only reason the Fundamentalist church exists is because they were thrown out.

RockMom, I don't mind his name just wondering if he loved to play first base. His choice in the religion aspect, would have to do some research more of the man, so I couldn't say no right now. I want the best person for my country.

Can't remember who mentioned my Religion was "started by one man also," the only thing my Man was killed and came back to life in three days.

The Bible talks about judging and Heaven and Hell and I've stated this since I came on BGPs, I've had people tell me I was going to Hell, and I will never ever tell someone that.

The Bible is it the truth or fiction? I have faith its the truth and some need to check it out.