A Great Investing Decision

Clyde

A few questions you need to ask yourself:

1. How long are you willing to invest? Do you need it for something like college?

2. How much risk are you willing to take? There is no wrong answer but you need to be honest with yourself.

3. Do you need professional advice?

4. Do you need it to provide income? Or is it a pure growth investment? A little of both?

1. I would like to do a little short term and a little long term. Only future need for money would be if I wanted to buy a new house (I wouldn't not sell my current one, its on property that I intend to keep in the family)

2. Probably start off with light to moderate risk for a while, then perhaps add some higher risk to the mix in a few years.

3. I manage my IRA's on my own at the moment, I review them about every 6 months or so. Dont know that I need someone to constantly help me, just some initial guidance.

4. Just growth investment at this time, but it would be nice if some of it could be available as income if I needed it.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you've said this but I can't remember: Do you have a 401(k) or some type of retirement account already? If not, that's probably the 1st place to start.

I do. But now looking to actually invest a little outside of that.

My advice is to not just research investments but research investment advisors. The problem is that really good , trustworthy advisors are hard to find.

From an investment standpoint if you're looking to get into equities (ie stocks) then maybe an index fund would be the place to start.

Go here for some Investing 101.

How to Invest

Thanks! I'm thinking I may want to do the investing of my paltry sums myself, not hiring an advisor. So, do something like e-trade or sharebuilder, etc.

I think we went over this once and she does. Always put as much as your employer is willing to match.
I am contributing the max my employer will match. Have been considering contributing up to 5% additional, but I don't understand the fund, so I'm not sure that's the wisest of my choices.

Thanks! I'm thinking I may want to do the investing of my paltry sums myself, not hiring an advisor. So, do something like e-trade or sharebuilder, etc.

My question about an advisor wasn't regarding the mechanics of the trade. Rather, it was about advice.

My question about an advisor wasn't regarding the mechanics of the trade. Rather, it was about advice.

Honestly, I really want to learn as much on my own before I decide if I'll go that route. Your link above is a good place for me to start. Are there any free sites that give tutorials, or any sort of background. I know most of you probably learned about all this in some high school or college courses. But they weren't offered at my all girls high school, and I didn't make it far enough into college to get to those courses.

Honestly, I really want to learn as much on my own before I decide if I'll go that route. Your link above is a good place for me to start. Are there any free sites that give tutorials, or any sort of background. I know most of you probably learned about all this in some high school or college courses. But they weren't offered at my all girls high school, and I didn't make it far enough into college to get to those courses.

I would say most of us did not learn in high school or college. Heck, we didn't have any money then so it didn't resonate.

I learned mainly from the site I linked. I read a lot of their stuff. Subscribe to a stock-picking service through them. Read books. Blogs.

I would say most of us did not learn in high school or college. Heck, we didn't have any money then so it didn't resonate.

I learned mainly from the site I linked. I read a lot of their stuff. Subscribe to a stock-picking service through them. Read books. Blogs.

Lots of stock sites and even message boards with good education tools.