A Great Investing Decision

Clyde

The guy that was hired to pain murals in the building and took stock instead of cash payment.

Worth 196 Million right now.

Lost 3 Mil in the last 3 minutes. Just imagine that for a second. :lol:

Edited by HammerTime

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...obviously I'm not going to be able to get any FB stock. HOWEVER...I'm now ready to consider some sort of investing. So, how does a beginner learn? I'm about 3 months away of having the amount of money I'm willing to invest. I need to know everything from the ground up. Assume nothing. I literally am like a pre-schooler here. The only stock I've ever had was SBUX when I worked for them, but all I had to do was say how much I wanted to have taken out of my account each pay period and the shares accumulated.

Help me please!

OK...obviously I'm not going to be able to get any FB stock. HOWEVER...I'm now ready to consider some sort of investing. So, how does a beginner learn? I'm about 3 months away of having the amount of money I'm willing to invest. I need to know everything from the ground up. Assume nothing. I literally am like a pre-schooler here. The only stock I've ever had was SBUX when I worked for them, but all I had to do was say how much I wanted to have taken out of my account each pay period and the shares accumulated.

Help me please!

Yes, somebody please help her! I'll just watch to make sure you all are explaining things correctly. :D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Yes, somebody please help her! I'll just watch to make sure you all are explaining things correctly. :D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:lol: You wanting to learn too but too much of a man to ask? :D

Help me please!

I know you've said this but I can't remember: Do you have a 401(k) or some type of retirement account already? If not, that's probably the 1st place to start.

Help me please!

My advice is to not just research investments but research investment advisors. The problem is that really good , trustworthy advisors are hard to find.

From an investment standpoint if you're looking to get into equities (ie stocks) then maybe an index fund would be the place to start.

Go here for some Investing 101.

http://www.fool.com/how-to-invest/index.aspx?source=ifltnvpnv0000001

im interested as well. I have an 2 IRA's I put money into but I want to do some out of IRA investing.

As far as liquid investing I'd first ask if you have a nice cushion of cash for the unexpected expenses of life. I wouldn't invest in stocks without having that cash supply. I'd only invest what I've got above and beyond that.

As far as liquid investing I'd first ask if you have a nice cushion of cash for the unexpected expenses of life. I wouldn't invest in stocks without having that cash supply. I'd only invest what I've got above and beyond that.

Yep Im good there on both angles. Good safety net of cash and very low month expenses. (house and all vehicles are paid off)

Yep Im good there on both angles. Good safety net of cash and very low month expenses. (house and all vehicles are paid off)

A few questions you need to ask yourself:

How long are you willing to invest? Do you need it for something like college?

How much risk are you willing to take? There is no wrong answer but you need to be honest with yourself.

Do you need professional advice?

Do you need it to provide income? Or is it a pure growth investment? A little of both?

I know you've said this but I can't remember: Do you have a 401(k) or some type of retirement account already? If not, that's probably the 1st place to start.

I think we went over this once and she does. Always put as much as your employer is willing to match.

A few questions you need to ask yourself:

How long are you willing to invest? Do you need it for something like college?

How much risk are you willing to take? There is no wrong answer but you need to be honest with yourself.

Do you need professional advice?

Do you need it to provide income? Or is it a pure growth investment? A little of both?

Completely agree with Clyde.

I would start with a Roth IRA (After 401K) and then once you are comfortable and feel good about what you are doing then I would consider a brokerage account for the left over funds from the first 2.