Hats Off to Aaron Harang

Clyde

As many of you know I'm a big Adam Dunn guy. I like guys who show up to work every day and produce without making a fool of themselves in the media with yapping and "me me me" stuff.

So I tip my hat to one Aaron Harang who has pitched his last game as a Cincinnati Redleg. The big boy from San Diego handled himself the right way despite, like Dunn, being on bad teams for a while. He could have made comments to the media lashing out at the organization for not surrounding him with better talent but never did.

Aaron Harang will always be a Red.

I like Harang too, but the fact that he did not lash out at the organization means very, very little to me. For starters, he's still hoping to make the playoff roster. Secondly, he was the centerpiece of a bad team. If anything, he should be grateful that the organization gave him as long of a leash as they did.

I like Harang too, but the fact that he did not lash out at the organization means very, very little to me. For starters, he's still hoping to make the playoff roster. Secondly, he was the centerpiece of a bad team. If anything, he should be grateful that the organization gave him as long of a leash as they did.

My comment about lashing out was not in regards to his year. It was in regards to the years when he was good and the Reds were bad.

It is kind of sad to see Harang's personal fortunes go south just when the team starts to shine ... you have to wonder how much that relief outing in San Diego had on his last couple of years.

I knew you'd say that.

I knew you'd say that.

It is interesting that Harang never came back from the SD outing. I'll accept that it may have affected the rest of his 2008 campaign. But, I cannot attribute that relief outing to his failures in '09 & '10. If anything, the 677 innings that he threw from '05 through '07 had a much bigger effect on his career.

I am interested to see if Harang goes elsewhere to play. And, if so, how will he perform? Personally, I don't think he has anything left in the tank.

It is interesting that Harang never came back from the SD outing. I'll accept that it may have affected the rest of his 2008 campaign. But, I cannot attribute that relief outing to his failures in '09 & '10. If anything, the 677 innings that he threw from '05 through '07 had a much bigger effect on his career.
Possibly, but you never know how many lingering effects that relief outing could've had on his arm ... the line between his effectiveness and ineffectiveness is that outing.

I agree with Clyde. Harang is a true pro, and guys like him are in the minority in pro sports. I was at the game yesterday, and gave him a standing ovation when he left the game. I must admit I was a little teary eyed at that moment, and was ridiculed by my wife. I wish Aaron nothing but the best, and I hope he is able to pitch effectively with another team next year.

I agree with Clyde. Harang is a true pro, and guys like him are in the minority in pro sports. I was at the game yesterday, and gave him a standing ovation when he left the game. I must admit I was a little teary eyed at that moment, and was ridiculed by my wife. I wish Aaron nothing but the best, and I hope he is able to pitch effectively with another team next year.

I was there also. Shame he couldn't have pitched longer. He looked solid in the first and I was hoping he'd go out with a really strong performance.

I will be interested to see if Harang has a second career as a reliever, like a lot of failed starters do.

Matt Belisle was everybody's whipping boy when he was in the Reds' rotation, but he's found some life as a reliever in Colorado.