It's time to classify soccer

I think the time has come for the KHSAA to classify boys and girls soccer.

There has been only one team of Class A or AA size (using the football formula) advance to the boys state title game. That was Kentucky Country Day in 1975. In the last five years, only six of the 40 teams that have advanced to the Final Eight have been Class A size and only eight of the 40 have been 2A or smaller.

Since Girls soccer was first sanctioned by the KHSAA in 1992, only one Class A/AA size school (Cov. Holy Cross in 2000) has advanced to the state title game.

In the last five years, only five of the 40 teams that have advanced to the Final Eight have been A or AA size.

You can talk Public/Private all you want but the KHSAA is failing to understand that the playing field is way out of whack when it comes to sports like soccer and volleyball.

Create three classes for soccer using the same method as track and field.

I think the time has come for the KHSAA to classify boys and girls soccer.

There has been only one team of Class A or AA size (using the football formula) advance to the boys state title game. That was Kentucky Country Day in 1975. In the last five years, only six of the 40 teams that have advanced to the Final Eight have been Class A size and only eight of the 40 have been 2A or smaller.

Since Girls soccer was first sanctioned by the KHSAA in 1992, only one Class A/AA size school (Cov. Holy Cross in 2000) has advanced to the state title game.

In the last five years, only five of the 40 teams that have advanced to the Final Eight have been A or AA size.

You can talk Public/Private all you want but the KHSAA is failing to understand that the playing field is way out of whack when it comes to sports like soccer and volleyball.

Create three classes for soccer using the same method as track and field.

Hey why you're at it, lets give everyone a participation ribbon also. :rolleyes:

Hey why you're at it, lets give everyone a participation ribbon also. :rolleyes:

I think I proved my point. There isn't any homer-ism in the research. Class A schools have little or no chance of making the finals in soccer, let alone winning the whole thing.

I never have understood why the KHSAA classifies some sports and not others. If you're going to classify, do it across the board. My suggestion deals with numbers and not geography or even public/private.

I think I proved my point. There isn't any homer-ism in the research. Class A schools have little or no chance of making the finals in soccer, let alone winning the whole thing.

I never have understood why the KHSAA classifies some sports and not others. If you're going to classify, do it across the board. My suggestion deals with numbers and not geography or even public/private.

:thumb:

I am a high school soccer coach in Louisville and have been for 5 years. This should have been done at least 5 years ago. Most of the coaches want it but the KHSAA, AND ALL of their WISDOM ??? will not do it. The smalls schools do not have a chance because of sure numbers once again. Players are tired of either not being able to advance in the tourey, dist. or regional so the stop playing. IT IS TIME KHSAA!!!!!!!!!

GIVE THE SMALLER SCHOOLS A CHANCE, YOU DID IT IN FOOTBALL

The tournies definantly need to be divided for Boys and Girls soccer.

If they do it for football it needs to be done for all sports of similar

size.

Volleyball is comprable to basketball in terms of team size and

I don't think you will be seeing a split in either sport soon, (b-ball

and volleyball) with the exception of public and private divisions

possibly in the next 5 years.

I am a high school soccer coach in Louisville and have been for 5 years. This should have been done at least 5 years ago. Most of the coaches want it but the KHSAA, AND ALL of their WISDOM ??? will not do it. The smalls schools do not have a chance because of sure numbers once again. Players are tired of either not being able to advance in the tourey, dist. or regional so the stop playing. IT IS TIME KHSAA!!!!!!!!!

Can't you (as a coach) get it in the form of a Proposition and get it voted on?

How did Track and CC get classification?

I don't believe that will ever happen because what it would do to the Sweet 16. But that does not mean it is not a good idea, just won't happen.

I think that the lack of classification and it not happening in the near future because of the Sweet 16 has led to part of the issue with private/public. Not all but some. Since publics know classification across the board is not going to occur, something else has to be tried.

Coach you are the KHSAA. You want it, have your AD put a proposal together and submit it for consideration next summer. If accepted and I don't know the process to get it put on the delegate assembly agenda, it will be voted on by the rest of the member schools next fall.

I think cvb has pointed out the problem with classifying soccer. There are 164 schools who field soccer teams on the girls side. Track has 280 schools that field teams (115 in class A, 84 in class AA, and 81 in class AAA). If soccer gets up to that number of teams, then classification would be much easier. Cov. Holy Cross has made the finals twice and has a little over 400 students. St. Henry has made the finals and made the final four this year on the boys side with 500 students. Granted the larger schools have been stronger, but I think this is more a function of soccer growing from the larger metro areas to the rural areas in the last 10 to 15 years.