Cov Cath vs Lex Cath

msjball4

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a lot about Cov. Cath this year but if they can run the ball at all they should be in the ball game. Scott County and Harrison County ran all over Lexington Catholic. If Covington Catholic wants to get into Shotgun and try to throw the ball all over the field and beat Lexington Catholic they may be in for a long night. Keep Burke off the field for as long as possible.

It is true that Lexington Catholic has not had the big boys on the offensive or defensive lines. Have always had great skilled position talent. Never has been to tough on the defensive side of the ball.

I think the real problem is the strength of their schedule each year. I know they are in a very weak district and they don't have control over the district scheduling. They did play the best in AAAA (St. X) and last year's AAAA runner-up (Scott Co.), but playing Bourbon County, Western Hills, Anderson County, and then Grant County in the first round of the playoffs does not get a team ready for the likes of Covington Catholic (who played a tough schedule) and potentially Highlands in the playoffs. Not that they have any control over it, but it has hurt the Knights every year come playoff time.

I agree, however, unfortunately, CCH is playing LexCath and Justin Burke. ;)

If Burke has time to throw, and is able to set his feet in the pocket, CovCath (IMHO) is in trouble. If he is pressured and the Colonels are able to land a few solid pops, perhaps they can contain the explosive Knights.

Unless someone can convince me that CCH is going to be able to move the ball effectively, I can hope for a CovCath win, but certainly can't expect it.

If CovCath goes after him, they will lose; their d-line will not catch him.

They need to stay in their rush lanes and make him throw from the pocket; he is most dangerous on the run and throws more accurately on the move.

Boyle Co. did this last season to Pulley and it worked; they didn't try to sack him other than rushing strainght up the field, pressing the pocket, keeping him contained, and not allowing him to run.

If CCH does this, they can drop 7 and mix in an occasional blitz.

In comparing scores, Harrison Co.(which I know is Cardinal sin-but what else can we do at this point), I think you should expect a win; LC will not put up 39, and I don't think they will put up the 35 or so they did vs. St. X; I think CCH's defense is quicker than St. X, and St. X wasn't playing like St. X early in the season.

CCH has shown the ability to score a lot of points against less than outstanding defenses-Boone, Dixie, S. Oldham, Beechwood, NCC; even scored 21 vs. the Birds. CCH can put up 4 TD's vs. the Knights, whereas I don't see LC being as potent as Highlands.

CCH-28

LC-21

But please don't go after Burke all out; he is much too explosive of an athlete for that; LC is good enough up front to prevent a "jail break" which is really the only way to get to him; if the Colonels didn't get to Cecil, who caused them all sorts of problems with his feet, they will never get to Burke. Keep him in the pocket, and crowd the secondary with defenders.

I bet Burke's completion percentage is higher outside the pocket than within; I know it is when I saw him!

I'm nervous about this game, but a few years back, LexCath had a QB by the name of Jacob Doss who was outstanding and CCH took care of them. I feel the Colonels can win this game if they come to play. If they can't get up for this game then these boys must not have a heartbeat. I'll be keeping up on the updates, so GO COLONELS! Good Luck and BELIEVE!!

I agree with Wildcat and was going to post the same until he beat me to the punch. If CCH puts a lot of pressure on Burke forcing him out of the pocket Burke will light CCH up. Burke will look like Steve Austin running past the CovCath defense. :D