Cov Cath vs Lex Cath

msjball4

If CovCath db's play like they did against the Birds, it is going to be a long night, they allowed Cecil have a career game( I'm not saying that Chase isn't a good Qb) . If this Burke kid is good as advertised , CovCath will have to come up with something that he isn't use to seeing from their base defense. CovCath by a late FG. 31-28 . I don't think that LC has any kids on their team that have beaten CovCath, that mind game goes a long way when the game is on the line!!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Family: I know Cov Cath won last year, but didn't the Lex Cath boys know them out of the playoffs the previous meeting? I think that is when these seniors were Freshmen? I am pretty sure that is right?

Yes, you are correct. Eckerline hit a 41 yd FG in the cold rain to win it.

BTW, how is Eckerline doing? I know he had some serious health problems.

We beat Cov Cath Doss' senior year in the second round. On a late field goal, but we did win.

Who knows who wins, I haven't seen Cov Cath play and I've only seen the Knights once. All I know is that if this offense plays the way it's capable of playing, I think Cov Cath is in for a rude awakening. I just hope the Knights don't let head games get to them.

Don't forget to mention in the freezing rain against the wind. :cry:

Was it really raining that game? I played a good amount in it and really can't remember the rain. I know it was cold though I had a nice bald head for that one.

Yes, it was raining. If you remember (or watch the films), CCH had a chance to lock it up. A fine young man and top player dropped an INT on the last drive.

Still, it was an impressive FG considering the circumstances and the conditions. I still have it on tape.

What kind of head games are you referring to? I tend to think if we lose it will be because we played a superior team that wanted it more.

Hmmmm, playoff curse? The fact the Knights have never won a region and have lost twice in the playoffs to this team, including maybe the biggest shocker of my high school career the 2001 blowout to maybe the Knights best offense/defense balanced team ever. Doesn't help also that im hearing many parents are at LC are scared off this game. Trust my Knightsdad, from being in the locker room this time of year before, the team seems to let mind games get to them as much as anything. Im not saying the teams aren't better, I just feel sometimes ecspecilly early the Knights don't come out playing to their potential. I like to highlight the Highlands loss in '02 as an example where at halftime we are down 24-3 before a second half surge brought us back to even the score. That was a team which took too long early to get things going before finally showing they could compete.

Yes, it was raining. If you remember (or watch the films), CCH had a chance to lock it up. A fine young man and top player dropped an INT on the last drive.

Still, it was an impressive FG considering the circumstances and the conditions. I still have it on tape.

Ha, yeah it was a fun game that I felt was very even. I know Cov Cath had some huge mistakes on our side of the field which eventually did them in. I have only seen the tape once, day after the game, its one I've always wanted to see again. I didn't remember the INT drop though im vaguely recalling it now.

:thumb:

I remember the game and the drop. I was actually just talking about it the other day with someone. It may have been NineOh.

Hmmmm, playoff curse? The fact the Knights have never won a region and have lost twice in the playoffs to this team, including maybe the biggest shocker of my high school career the 2001 blowout to maybe the Knights best offense/defense balanced team ever. Doesn't help also that im hearing many parents are at LC are scared off this game. Trust my Knightsdad, from being in the locker room this time of year before, the team seems to let mind games get to them as much as anything. Im not saying the teams aren't better, I just feel sometimes ecspecilly early the Knights don't come out playing to their potential. I like to highlight the Highlands loss in '02 as an example where at halftime we are down 24-3 before a second half surge brought us back to even the score. That was a team which took too long early to get things going before finally showing they could compete.

Sorry to hear so many of the parents are scared of this game. I agree the best thing we could do is play from the beginning and not have to try and come back from a two or three td deficit. We haven't tried to run much in recent games compared to earlier in the season. I hope we can return to this style of play. I don't think you can beat a CovCath being one dimensional. All one has to do is look at the Harrison County game to see how effective we are when we don't run much. Maybe Sphires is trying to set a trap? I can only wish. If Israel gets twenty carries+ I think we can win rather handily, otherwise it will be a nailbiter.

Sorry to hear so many of the parents are scared of this game. I agree the best thing we could do is play from the beginning and not have to try and come back from a two or three td deficit. We haven't tried to run much in recent games compared to earlier in the season. I hope we can return to this style of play. I don't think you can beat a CovCath being one dimensional. All one has to do is look at the Harrison County game to see how effective we are when we don't run much. Maybe Sphires is trying to set a trap? I can only wish. If Israel gets twenty carries+ I think we can win rather handily, otherwise it will be a nailbiter.

Your right about needing the run game tonight, when we did beat Cov Cath, I believe two tds were off the run game and we got almost 150 on the ground. It just opens a lot up for a QB when the other team is worrying about the running and passing game.

For UNDERTHEBRIDGE and knightsdad, you sound like you listen too much to other prepsters talking about the so called LC playoff curse.

This is a heck of a program that is all of 14 years old. Lexington Catholic did not have a football team in the 50's, the 60's, the 70's, the 80's.

Yet in just 14 years these players have made the whole state stand up and take notice.

Regional Championship losses to, let's see....Highlands, CovCath, Danville, Boyle. Last time I looked at the records, those were state champions.

If the folks from those programs want to knock LC's record for not beating them, that's okay, they're looking over their shoulders at the Lexington Catholic.

If the folks from other programs that don't make it to the Regional Championships want to knock LC, so what?

It's time to tee it up tonight, and that's what counts.

Go Knights. This is an ex-parent saying I love ya', and I sure as hell believe in you.