Top Academic Students in the Bluegrass

85Bears

Bobby Butler, a senior at Bardstown High School, aced the ACT last spring. He was named a Presidential Scholar candidate a couple weeks ago. He's mentioned astronomy, math and philosophy as possible areas of study, with an eye toward becoming an astrophysicist. Stanford, Cal, MIT and other heavyweights are on the college possibilities list; he has applied to Princeton. He's also the Tigers' CF and leadoff hitter.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Butler, a senior at Bardstown High School, aced the ACT last spring. He was named a Presidential Scholar candidate a couple weeks ago. He's mentioned astronomy, math and philosophy as possible areas of study, with an eye toward becoming an astrophysicist. Stanford, Cal, MIT and other heavyweights are on the college possibilities list; he has applied to Princeton. He's also the Tigers' CF and leadoff hitter.

That's simply nuts. Congrats to the kid.

Last spring at the end of his sophomore year, Newport Catholic junior Nathan Grosser scored a perfect 36 on the ACT. In addition to being an excellent student, Nathan excels on the soccer field as the Varsity goalie, is a member of the Bowling Team, the Academic Team, the National Honor Society and the NCC Mathlete Program. He also enjoys participating in the school’s talent show playing the piano and drums.

One other tidbit, the first time he took the ACT, when he was in 7th grade he scored a 29.

Last spring at the end of his sophomore year, Newport Catholic junior Nathan Grosser scored a perfect 36 on the ACT. In addition to being an excellent student, Nathan excels on the soccer field as the Varsity goalie, is a member of the Bowling Team, the Academic Team, the National Honor Society and the NCC Mathlete Program. He also enjoys participating in the school’s talent show playing the piano and drums.

One other tidbit, the first time he took the ACT, when he was in 7th grade he scored a 29.

Stellar student!! Love to hear about all the other activities too.

29 ACT in the 7th grade? Fabulous.

I was pretty pumped when two of my kids scored a 23 and a 22 as 7th graders. But a 29 is crazy good!

Perfect ACT is an amazing accomplishment!

Love hearing about all these smart kids in the Bluegrass!

So I am cruising through the Breakroom and I start reading this thread.

I have been wanting to ask about the Governor Scholar program beccause I am not that familiar with it.

Anybody have any experience with the program, or have a kid that was part of it?

My son was chosen for the GSP program and attended the session at Murray State last summer. He thought it was the most rewarding experience that he has had academically. He was a little bit apprehensive about spending five weeks of the summmer before his senior year away but he was glad that he did. If you want any more information send me a PM and I'll be glad to get him to answer any questions.

It worked out well for him. He scored a 32 on his ACT and received full tuition scholarship offers from Hanover College, University of the Cumberland's, UK, and Georgetown College. He will be attending Georgetown College this fall on an academic and football scholarship.

So I am cruising through the Breakroom and I start reading this thread.

I have been wanting to ask about the Governor Scholar program beccause I am not that familiar with it.

Anybody have any experience with the program, or have a kid that was part of it?

Son was a Governor's Scholar back in the day. He was class valedictorian; only a 32 on the ACT but aced the English portion. Could have received free tuition in KY but elected to attend Vanderbilt. Graduated magna in 4 years from Vandy, got his Masters' and PhD in postmodern literature from University of Washington; currently works as a preceptor at Harvard teaching freshman writing. He gets a lot of foreign students and a fair share of athletes in his classes. Getting ready to have his first book published.

I mention all of this because it is well known that the apple rarely falls far from the tree.

I will give you my one overarching impression of his GSP experience. It was the first time where literally everyone in his orbit were high schievers and "success-driven". That in and of itself made it a tremendously positive experience for him.

It worked out well for him. He scored a 32 on his ACT and received full tuition scholarship offers from Hanover College, University of the Cumberland's, UK, and Georgetown College. He will be attending Georgetown College this fall on an academic and football scholarship.

Congrats to your son! And great guidance, too!

Son was a Governor's Scholar back in the day. He was class valedictorian; only a 32 on the ACT but aced the English portion. Could have received free tuition in KY but elected to attend Vanderbilt. Graduated magna in 4 years from Vandy, got his Masters' and PhD in postmodern literature from University of Washington; currently works as a preceptor at Harvard teaching freshman writing. He gets a lot of foreign students and a fair share of athletes in his classes. Getting ready to have his first book published.

I mention all of this because it is well known that the apple rarely falls far from the tree.

I will give you my one overarching impression of his GSP experience. It was the first time where literally everyone in his orbit were high schievers and "success-driven". That in and of itself made it a tremendously positive experience for him.

Amazing!! So Vanderbilt was not able to match the KY offers even with a perfect score on the english portion?

My nephew went to Grayson County high school, and was always woefully out of place there. He was so flippin' smart! He was captain of the Academic team, (went to Nationals), Eagle Scout, and when he was selected as a Governor's Scholar and attended, it was a life-changing experience for him. He really, REALLY benefitted from it, and I think it was the first time he realized he wasn't weird. He's now at WKU on a full ride, and thriving. He started a Quiz Bowl team and now competes all around the country in Quiz Bowl competition with the team, as well as administrating tournaments for high school students at WKU, and helps still with Grayson County's academic team.

I can't say enough good things about what that summer did for my nephew.

What a slacker

Amazing!! So Vanderbilt was not able to match the KY offers even with a perfect score on the english portion?

At Vandy, my son was probably in the upper third of students in terms of high-school academic achievement. Gotta remember that Harvard is the Vanderbilt of the northeast.biggrin.gif

The financial package at Vandy wasn't anything to sneeze at, though. Cost us (mom and dad) about 8 grand a year; about 5 grand a year in student loans; and everything else paid for.

An interesting sidebar - he committed sight unseen. We had some minimal family connections at the other two places on his short list (got rejected at Harvard - funny how things work out; and waitlisted/later accepted at Duke). My first cousin worked as a recruiter at Penn and my uncle had worked with UVa on getting funding for capital improvements. However, Vandy gave us the best deal of the three.

What a slacker

Got a 29 on his ACT as a seventh-grader as well, like one of the other luminaries mentioned above, and I'm sure there's probably some other stuff I don't know about. Also scored ridiculously high on some other pre-college test whose name I can't remember, but read in an article earlier today. Really good kid.