1. 1. Which side are you on?

• Revis
    • Jets

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I side with the players. The shelf life of NFL players can be very short. They have to cash in when the opportunity is there. It's easy to make comments like "he should play out his contract and then get paid", but there's no guarantee his stock will be that high when that time comes. Guys don't get paid for past service. Four years down the road, if Revis isn't the top corner in the league, the Jets aren't going to pay him top corner money because he used to be the best. And, as already noted, the teams can cut him at any time. I have zero problem with Revis holding out. The Jets need to pay him.

Look at Larry Johnson. The Chiefs ran him into the ground with 826 touches during the '05 and '06 seasons, including 416 rushing attempts in 2006. Huge workloads like that significantly increased the chances of an NFL running back wearing down. I don't blame LJ one bit for holding out and getting paid. As it turns out, that was his only chance to do so, because he hasn't come remotely close to that type of production since then.

This is the nature of the beast. The system in place demands this type of action, IMO.

That's the way the business is...if you don't like it, play in the CFL, or get a real job.

Or hold out b/c the Jets will cave which is what he's doing. Smart business move by Revis and it will be rewarded.

I side with the players. The shelf life of NFL players can be very short. They have to cash in when the opportunity is there. It's easy to make comments like "he should play out his contract and then get paid", but there's no guarantee his stock will be that high when that time comes. Guys don't get paid for past service. Four years down the road, if Revis isn't the top corner in the league, the Jets aren't going to pay him top corner money because he used to be the best. And, as already noted, the teams can cut him at any time. I have zero problem with Revis holding out. The Jets need to pay him.

Look at Larry Johnson. The Chiefs ran him into the ground with 826 touches during the '05 and '06 seasons, including 416 rushing attempts in 2006. Huge workloads like that significantly increased the chances of an NFL running back wearing down. I don't blame LJ one bit for holding out and getting paid. As it turns out, that was his only chance to do so, because he hasn't come remotely close to that type of production since then.

This is the nature of the beast. The system in place demands this type of action, IMO.

Totally agree.

That's the way the business is...if you don't like it, play in the CFL, or get a real job.

You're right. It is the way the business is. But, that goes both ways. Revis will get paid. The Jets have Super Bowl hopes. They have no plans of playing this season without him regardless of what their owner says. That's just some negotiating via the media.

I have a hard time siding with a player when he is complaining about how much money he makes when in his 3-4 years of playing, will make far more than I could in a lifetime.

Or hold out b/c the Jets will cave which is what he's doing. Smart business move by Revis and it will be rewarded.

I'm sure they will cave, they always do. I'd love to see some owners take back more control, but that is just me. The amount of money that professional athletes make is ridiculous.

He may have, but I don't remember LJ complaining when he ws getting all of those touches.

He may have, but I don't remember LJ complaining when he ws getting all of those touches.

Take BACK control??? How much do you think they make? For every dollar they pay Revis, they are making much much more. They have the control and make more money in the long run WHICH IS WHY THEY CAVE. They know they are on the good end of the stick.

Having said all that, I think they will meet somewhere north of the middle on Revis' side.

With economic times the way they are, I don't think players who already make millions of dollars need to hold out and complain until they make more. Just my feeling, don't get greedy. Play for the length of the contract you signed, then negotiate a new deal.

That is flawed logic on so many levels.

When you sign on to work and come in at a salary or wage, you are signing a contract to work at that rate. If you exceed expectations or take on more responsibility, you are rewarded for such. But by your rationale, you should remain at the rate you sign on at. I assume you have or at points in your career will ask for a raise. Revis is doing exactly that. Organizations are fluid and adapt accordingly to the skill level of their employees. Again, if Revis were not performing, the Jets could cut him immediately having to pay him no more money. How about them honoring the contract?

The team doesn't have to honor his contract. They can cut guys that don't perform. The rookie contract situation as a whole is terrible.

Depends on who you are. It's life. It's not fair. You are right, a 5 year deal is nothing more than a series of (5) 1 year contracts. Only money guaranteed is the bonus money. Like I said earlier, the labor deal is what it is. He needs to get his butt in to camp and help his team. He is under contract.

So let the greedy owners who don't sacrifice their body make all the money off of the players who risk injury? Makes good business sense for the players.

Players are just as greedy as the owners. He is due to make 1MM dollars this year. Most people can't earn that in 20 years. What a joke.

I know most with disagree with me, and I don't care. He get's paid to play a game for a living. End of conversation to me. Owners are managing an organziation.

We realize he is getting paid to play a game and that is fine, but that does not mean he should not get paid what he is worth.

Players are just as greedy as the owners. He is due to make 1MM dollars this year. Most people can't earn that in 20 years. What a joke.

He obviously has received other monies along the way including an initial signing bonus, but 1 million dollars in NYC is not 1 million dollars in Harlan, KY. Let us not pretend he is set for life because he is due 1 million dollars this year.