Revis vs Jets

Which side are you on?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which side are you on?

• Revis
    • Jets

Do you "honor your contract" guys feel the same way when NFL teams cut guys with multiple years remaining on their deals?

Just curious if you're consistent in your views.

Yes I do. Players cash in on their signing bonus in the NFL. Very large signing bonuses mind you. How much did Al Davis pay Jamarcus Russell?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh he has the leverage. His coach said he would be the starter if he came to the team on the eve of the first game. He's the best corner in the league. If they want to blitz everyone but the corners they need good ones. He's the best one. He'll get a new deal.

You are talking about his idiot coach. I don't think he pays the bills or negotiates the contracts. This is between ownership and Revis, Rex has nothing to do with this. I hope the Jets ownership holds firm.

You are talking about his idiot coach. I don't think he pays the bills or negotiates the contracts. This is between ownership and Revis, Rex has nothing to do with this. I hope the Jets ownership holds firm.

I hope Revis holds firm. Did the owners pay Faneca or cut him? What about Thomas Jones? They were negotiating w/ Leon Washington until his injury. How did it work out for him? It works both ways. Guys that over play their contract deserve a raise. if he under played it he would be gone like the guys I mentioned.

Revis is a huge key to the Jets chances this season. Ryan loves to play an aggressive, attacking defense. Revis gives him a lot of flexibility because he can count on that guy to contain any opponents top WR.

The combination of his talent and importance to the Jets scheme and overall hopes this season virtually guarantees he'll get compensated.

It's all about the guaranteed money, typically signing bonuses, and according to the recent article on ESPN, the Jets offer didn't include much in the way of guaranteed money. It doesn't matter if the deal is 8 years for 200 million, because as noted, the team can cut him at any time with no obligation to pay any of that money.

Revis has all the leverage he needs, and probably as much as he'll ever have.

Yes I do. Players cash in on their signing bonus in the NFL. Very large signing bonuses mind you. How much did Al Davis pay Jamarcus Russell?

To clarify, are you saying you think the teams should be able to cut guys with no obligation to pay the remaining money on their contracts, or that they should have to pay the players to the last dollar regardless of how they perform?

It's not clear to me in the post. The first sentence implies that you think both sides should have to honor the contracts. However, the remainder that references large signing bonus leads me to believe you side with the owners right to cut players and terminate the contract at their own discretion.

I hope Revis holds firm. Did the owners pay Faneca or cut him? What about Thomas Jones? They were negotiating w/ Leon Washington until his injury. How did it work out for him? It works both ways. Guys that over play their contract deserve a raise. if he under played it he would be gone like the guys I mentioned.

Legit question for you SSC. Should Houshmandzadeh return part of his big signing bonus he received from Paul Allen and Seattle? He has totally underperfomed and does not seem happy there. Would you consider him a bust? Revis will get his money, he just needs to be more patient and play under his current contract. If I were him, I would play, and require the Jets to insure me for a very large sum of money in case of injury. Report to camp and get a new deal when his current contract expires.

I'm an "honor your contract" guy, and yes, I think owners should honor it as well. I'm hoping, in exchange for the 18 game regular season, the players get guaranteed contracts in the next CBA. Maybe they could work something out that if a player is cut, his salary would not count against the salary cap, but the player still gets paid according to the contract terms.

To clarify, are you saying you think the teams should be able to cut guys with no obligation to pay the remaining money on their contracts, or that they should have to pay the players to the last dollar regardless of how they perform?

It's not clear to me in the post. The first sentence implies that you think both sides should have to honor the contracts. However, the remainder that references large signing bonus leads me to believe you side with the owners right to cut players and terminate the contract at their own discretion.

There is no "money" remaining on their contracts. The NFL's long term contracts are made up of a series of one year contracts. So how could there be money remaining on a contract? Make no mistake, making money in the NFL is about one thing, the signing bonus. They are very large and the only thing that's guaranteed. You seem to have issue with the current labor deal in the NFL. Players get their money when ownership pays out the bonuses. If they perform year to year, then they will get paid their yearly amount under the terms of the contract they agreed to. I just don't like changing the rules of the game after you agreed to a contract and your coach, agent, whoever tells you how great you are and you have a breakout year. Honor the deal you signed. They must have thought Revis was good, they drafted him and paid him. Ownership held up their end of the deal.

Legit question for you SSC. Should Houshmandzadeh return part of his big signing bonus he received from Paul Allen and Seattle? He has totally underperfomed and does not seem happy there. Would you consider him a bust? Revis will get his money, he just needs to be more patient and play under his current contract. If I were him, I would play, and require the Jets to insure me for a very large sum of money in case of injury. Report to camp and get a new deal when his current contract expires.

No. The owners are the ones with the power. If a guy gets paid good for him. They can cut TJ if they don't want to pay him any more money.

There is no "money" remaining on their contracts. The NFL's long term contracts are made up of a series of one year contracts. So how could there be money remaining on a contract? Make no mistake, making money in the NFL is about one thing, the signing bonus. They are very large and the only thing that's guaranteed. You seem to have issue with the current labor deal in the NFL. Players get their money when ownership pays out the bonuses. If they perform year to year, then they will get paid their yearly amount under the terms of the contract they agreed to. I just don't like changing the rules of the game after you agreed to a contract and your coach, agent, whoever tells you how great you are and you have a breakout year. Honor the deal you signed. They must have thought Revis was good, they drafted him and paid him. Ownership held up their end of the deal.

Ownership held up their end of the deal only because it benefits them. Getting the best CB in the league to play for peanuts would be an owners dream. Not many front offices have done right by their players over the last decade. I think the NFL should go to an NBA salary scale and make all contracts guaranteed. The players and not the owners get screwed over in today's NFL.

I tend to side with Revis, but I think the root of the problem is the overall NFL contract system, both sides are to blame. High draft picks get paid ridiculous amounts and underperform (Jamarcus Russell), other rookies sign 5 year deals and over perform (Chris Johnson), and veterans play for a free agent contract and then check out (Haynesworth). Then you add that an owner can terminate a contract at will. High draft picks are always going to get paid, but the system as it stands now is broke. Somehow players should be paid more for their actual performance than the potential for performance and owners should have some obligation when terminating a contract.

Ownership held up their end of the deal only because it benefits them. Getting the best CB in the league to play for peanuts would be an owners dream. Not many front offices have done right by their players over the last decade. I think the NFL should go to an NBA salary scale and make all contracts guaranteed. The players and not the owners get screwed over in today's NFL.

It's important to note that my comments in this thread come based on the current labor agreement. The labor agreement in and of itself could have it's own thread. I do think it's a bit short sighted to say the owner's never get screwed. I think many owners have paid large amounts of money and have not gotten the production they thought they were getting when they wrote the checks. Most recently, you can point to Mr. Davis, Mr. Snyder, Mr. Allen. They all did not get their ROI on big name signings.

It's important to note that my comments in this thread come based on the current labor agreement. The labor agreement in and of itself could have it's own thread. I do think it's a bit short sighted to say the owner's never get screwed. I think many owners have paid large amounts of money and have not gotten the production they thought they were getting when they wrote the checks. Most recently, you can point to Mr. Davis, Mr. Snyder, Mr. Allen. They all did not get their ROI on big name signings.

They all got poor ROI as a direct result of their own choices, or at least choices of those they've hired to make those decisions. Poor example IMO. For the record, I wish that guys would play out their contract before holding out for a new one. I would assume that in the next CBA you'll see some sort of compromise between a rookie salary structure that is more down to earth and more bite on veterans and guaranteed contracts. I think signing bonuses will less likely be the only guaranteed $ if the NFLPA has anything to say about it. Sounds like a win/win if you ask me. Didn't mean to skew the thread. With the labor issues looming, I think Revis picked a bad year to pole-sit.

Guys get overpaid big deal. It doesn't even come close to the same effect as what the players go through. I'm suppose to side with an owner who makes money hand over fist, when the players who are the real money makers don't get what they deserve most of the time? For every Albert Haynesworth there are 20 Chris Johnsons or Revis kind of players or players who get cut way before their deals run out.