Federal Judge Rules Cheerleading Not a Sport

mcpapa

The high school band (at least in the old days) used to practice much longer in the heat than the football team. Some of those students , like linemen on the football team, dropped some LBs due to the heat and continual marching practice. Add in carrying a tuba and you've got yourself a workout. So, your last sentence would seem to include the marching band. Agree?

I think that you are talking more about endurance, rather than physical fitness and athleticism.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many sports that are not sanctioned by the KHSAA; and many schools have teams/clubs. Lacrosse, gymnastics, boxing, martial arts, shooting, archery, bowling, hockey, the list goes on. I just think that in its present state, cheerleading should be excluded.

I see your point, but the thread got started in regards to college, not HS. We're talking such a dramatic difference in facilities and money that a lot of sports don't happen at the HS level...

Here's a simple definition that everyone can agree on:

If Nike endorses it...it's a sport. :cool:

:laugh::laugh:

Cheerleading at a high level takes a ton of athleticisim, practice and dedication.

I wouldn't have a problem with cheerleading being recognized as a sport if the competition end were a little more organized.

It seems as if every year, KY for example has atleast 3 " National Champs". I feel like I could set up a few chairs in my back yard, open a concession stand, invite a few teams and crown my own national champ. If you're going to make it a sport, do it right. If you want the sport to be taken seriously, model it after other popular sports -- 1 national champion per division.

When my avatar was in the 8th grade, several of her classmates were on the middle-school cheerleading team. They went to a competition in Virginia, competed against 2 or 3 other squads, and were declared "national champions."

Now, I was happy for them, being that several of them and their parents were friends. But national champions?

When my avatar was in the 8th grade, several of her classmates were on the middle-school cheerleading team. They went to a competition in Virginia, competed against 2 or 3 other squads, and were declared "national champions."

Now, I was happy for them, being that several of them and their parents were friends. But national champions?

Fair point - but that was a little while back, McP!

And (Keep in mind, I'm playing devil's advocate in this debate, but I truly see more logic in saying cheerleading IS a sport as opposed to it NOT being a sport) keep in mind that some would say college football doesn't have anything close to a real national championship, either...

Is college football a sport? (for the dense among you, note that I'm being FACETIOUS...there's no question college football is a sport, but it hardly has an "organized" championship either - not when most of the teams are not included...)

Fair point - but that was a little while back, McP!

And (Keep in mind, I'm playing devil's advocate in this debate, but I truly see more logic in saying cheerleading IS a sport as opposed to it NOT being a sport) keep in mind that some would say college football doesn't have anything close to a real national championship, either...

Is college football a sport? (for the dense among you, note that I'm being FACETIOUS...there's no question college football is a sport, but it hardly has an "organized" championship either - not when most of the teams are not included...)

You won't find a person more against the BCS system than myself.

However, at the end of the season the BCS does crown ONE national champion aside from the very few seasons we encounter a split championship( incredibly stupid to me).

I think that's the problem many, including myself, have with cheerleading. It's just a free for all with very little structure. As I said earlier, do away with multiple associations, bring some type of structure to it and cheerleading will gain some respect from a lot of people.

I can even deal with multiple state and national cheerleading champs at the high school level as long as guidelines are set to define what class a squad competes in.

Have 1 state champion per state (multiple state champs if the state decides they would like to have multiple classes) at the high school level and 1 national champ per division at the collegiate level. Seems simple enough to me...

To let my true feelings be known, I could care less if cheerleading ever becomes a recognized sport. I do think the girls deserve it due to the hard work and dedication they put in.

I just get tired of people complaining about the lack of respect it receives but not doing anything about it.