Reds Rotation after All-Star Break

Looks like the Reds to go with Arroyo, Cueto and Volquez versus Corado.

Cueto and Volquez are very similar type pitchers, as are Leake and Wood. I think it would be a lot smarter to pitch Leake, or Wood after Cueto, and the other after Volquez.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heyward's OBP and SLP are each more than 50 points higher than Stubbs ... he's a much better hitter. And he will be a much better player, given the age difference ... Heyward has much more potential for growth and improvement.

I agree with the posts above that Heyward will be better than Stubbs. But the raw numbers are very even. As to OPS, I have often wondered if stolen bases should somehow get factored into OPS. I know it isn't a hitting stat but a single plus a SB is a double and if a player does that enough, it has a big impact on runs which is the number that wins games.

My main reason for posting the stats though is so many people are getting hung up on the strikeouts and low average and are missing that Stubbs is having a very good rookie year. If he could get OBP up just a little, he would be a solid leadoff hitter.

I'm very pleased with Stubbs and think he could very well turn out to be a solid player. He's not going to be a superstar, but I can live what he brings to the table towards the bottom of the order. The guy can almost single-handedly score you a run...when he gets on base. If he's on first, he's truly a threat to score on a double. You don't see that type of speed too often. He also has some pop. I'd love to see him put the ball in play more, but I'm holding out hope that he can improve upon that. All in all, including defensively, I'm pleased with the 25 year old guy has done.

Cueto and Volquez are very similar type pitchers, as are Leake and Wood. I think it would be a lot smarter to pitch Leake, or Wood after Cueto, and the other after Volquez.

You know, I have thought about this some, and I really don't think it matters what order you throw. Sure, you have your top of the line starters, but in terms of one's repetoire, I don't think it matters much. What if a particular team really struggles against a power pitcher? Or a junk baller? Wouldn't you want those guys to throw consecutively? The truth is that it doesn't matter unless that particular pitcher can throw strikes. And so far, that's exactly what the Reds starting staff did in the first half (for the most part). Our staff is deep, and it's talented. Volquez is back; Cueto has taken a new approach to pitching (or is at least trying); Arroyo has been steady; Wood has been outstanding. And that does not even mention Bailey who has shown flashes, Maloney who has done well when called upon & Harang who is here & there. In about another month, Chapman will be added to the bullpen & you'll start to feel the buzz in Cincinnati.

I hear people talking about how Jonny Gomes' stock is high & now would be a good time to sell. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm one who has thought the same about Bronson. Now is not the time to sell, Cincinnati fans. For the first time in 10, maybe 15 years, we are BUYING. It feels great to say it...WE'RE BUYERS, and with Walt Jocketty calling the shots, I think it'll end up well.

I'm pumped about this 2nd half of baseball.

I agree with the posts above that Heyward will be better than Stubbs. But the raw numbers are very even. As to OPS, I have often wondered if stolen bases should somehow get factored into OPS. I know it isn't a hitting stat but a single plus a SB is a double and if a player does that enough, it has a big impact on runs which is the number that wins games.

My main reason for posting the stats though is so many people are getting hung up on the strikeouts and low average and are missing that Stubbs is having a very good rookie year. If he could get OBP up just a little, he would be a solid leadoff hitter.

Raw numbers don't tell nearly the whole story, though.

I wouldn't say Stubbs is having a very good year. Decent, maybe, and about what should have been expected of him.

Raw numbers don't tell nearly the whole story, though.

I wouldn't say Stubbs is having a very good year. Decent, maybe, and about what should have been expected of him.

Really? You expected him to be on pace to hit 20 Hrs and have 80 RBIs?

Sorry, but I and most others will say you're full of it, if you really expect us to believe you felt he'd produce at those numbers.
Really? Stubbs hit eight homers in 180 at-bats last year, so it wasn't unreasonable to think he could hit 15-20 over the entire season. Most of those have come at GABP, but he does play half his games there.

OBP of .310 is not that bad given how low his average his. Strikeouts are a bit of a concern but you guys are hard to please. Not to many people expected this much out of Stubbs this year.
A .310 OBP is never "not that bad" ...