Best War Movies

Sandman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you watch The Pacific on HBO? It is very good as well.

No. I don't get HBO. I watched BOB on the History Channel. I'm hoping it (or Spike) will get the Pacific eventually. I'd like to see it.

No. I don't get HBO. I watched BOB on the History Channel. I'm hoping it (or Spike) will get the Pacific eventually. I'd like to see it.

Watching the Pacific gives you a great background to each battle. They interviewed vets for each show. It is also brutal which gives you a understanding of what they went through. Each time I watch a war movie the more I appreciate what are soldiers did and do go through.

Saving Private Ryan (I still can't believe it lost the Best Picture Oscar to Shakespeare In Love:confused::isurrender::rolleyes:

Patton

All Is Quite On The Western Front

The Longest Day

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Bridge On The River Kwai

Casablanca

Sergeant York

Midway

Glory

The Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

MASH

The Great Escape

Gettysburg

My #2 favorite movie of all time!!

"Rambo--First Blood Part II"--Rambo kills like 1000 enemies with a of couple sticks, a knife and a bow & arrow?? 100 of him would win any war!! :D:D

And the enemy is like, "Hey, were're all over here, all 125 of us, and we're going to stand out here in the wide open while you single handily mow us all down!" :D

If the enemy were as dumb at fighting strategy and technique as some of these movies protray them to be the U.S. would have ended all their wars in a couple of weeks, tops.

Watching the Pacific gives you a great background to each battle. They interviewed vets for each show. It is also brutal which gives you a understanding of what they went through. Each time I watch a war movie the more I appreciate what are soldiers did and do go through.

Band of Brothers gave me a whole new perspective and appreciation for our soldiers. I've also been reading some war novels by Jeff Shaara that have contributed to that as well. If you're interested in wars and like to read, I'd highly suggest you buy one of Shaara's books. So far, he's covered the Revolution (2), the Mexican War, Civil War (3, counting a book his dad wrote), WWI and WWII (trilogy)...he hopes to have a book out next Spring on the Battle of the Pacific. I'm reading the first WWII book right now, it focuses on North Africa and the battle with Rommel. This trilogy focuses on the European area.

After the Pacific, he's supposed to write a couple of books on the Western theatre of the Civil War, then perhaps on to Korea, Vietnam, etc.