OH car tags in KY--what gives?

hurricane

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda off the subject , the other day I was driving along Dave Cowens drive going towards Bellevue I was behind a car with Ohio plates they were yellow with red lettering , I know that this means that this car belongs to a driver with multiple DUIS and the person is not supposed to be driving out of the state of Ohio and then only to work . The upshot is that they pulled into the Party Source and parked grabbed a cart and went inside . I called Bellevue police , but since I had to be at a meeting I don't know what ensued .

I wish KY had this program.

FWI on the the thread topic....I think it is cheating to get out of state plates to pay less taxes as well.

There's actually a slogan used by the state to stop the individuals who actually are cheating the system. It's called Freddie Freeloader. I saw this a few years ago.

Correct on Freddie Freeloader. I think there is still a 1-800 number you can call to report people.

This goes for all used cars and trucks you buy. The next time you buy a car from a private owner, make sure you take a Ky VTR form with you. If you are lucky, they have a newer Ky Title with the VTR built right in on the back. This has to be signed by the seller and notarized or they will charge you Bluebook everytime.

Yes Sir. When I bought my daughter a car off Craigs list, TBirds told me how to do it with that VTR thingy and worked like a charm. Only paid taxes on what I paid for it and it was well below blue book. Thanks TBird!!! Seems like you have done that once or twice before.

That's not what I'm talking about, and you know it. Think of it in terms of how strange it is for a great number of coal trucks on the road in EKy to have Oklahoma license plates. Gas is way too expensive for trucks of that size to be making regular trips to OK. Just because you rent a PO box there or spend one day a month on average there -- or set up some hogwash LLC front -- doesn't mean you reside there. Again, it's cheating your neighbors to represent yourself in this fashion.

Like I said, there is a big difference between the individual taxpayer and a business entity, in my opinion. In your example, I would tend to agree with you, particularly since 1. it's a KY business; and 2. Oklahoma is not a bordering state.

Surely you're able to distinguish between what I am speaking of & what you're referring to.

Used to happen a lot here in M'boro cause In TN you didn't have to pay taxes or have car insurance to tag your car.

Used to all you needed was a P.O. Box now I think you actually have to know someone with a TN address to have your title mailed to there home address.

Back in the old days they was more ppl in Middlesboro with TN tags then they was KY tags.

One other reason is that some of these are company cars. I had a company car for a while and since it was an Ohio company, it was Ohio plates. My neighbors would ask me why I had OH plates, that was the reason.

Just saying that not everyone that you see is someone "cheating the system."

I feel ya but many people that I know who have their own companies in Cincinnati and live in NKY tool around in their $50K cars with OH plates and I am sure write them off as business expenses.

I feel ya but many people that I know who have their own companies in Cincinnati and live in NKY tool around in their $50K cars with OH plates and I am sure write them off as business expenses.

Do you still say that when you pay your tax bill, knowing you've got to help make up for their tax-dodging?

So Jim, what's wrong with what they are doing? That person/s might just be the person giving you a job!

So Jim, what's wrong with what they are doing? That person/s might just be the person giving you a job!

Since I live in Bardstown, that's highly unlikely. Unlike the aforementioned dodger, who takes his home state for granted, I pay my share of the financial cost of living in this beautiful state

Since I live in Bardstown, that's highly unlikely. Unlike the aforementioned dodger, who takes his home state for granted, I pay my share of the financial cost of living in this beautiful state

The "aforementioned dodger" still pays his or her fair share of taxes. In fact, if they own a company, he or she probably pays more taxes to this beautiful state than you or I.