A Stupid Idea?

I believe the current location, or half of it, is already a Muslim rec center. I think its an 'overflow' location for another nearby Islamic center. In that function it appears to have been operating just fine.

It deserves different attention when it will become a 13 story center, 50,000 square foot mega structure that is unprecedented in size for any religion in the Manhattan area. And the imam spear heading the project wrote a book about his desire to perform dawa (Islamic recruiting) from the 'rubble of the WTC' in 2004 and he wants to name the center after a mosque in Spain that was built over top of church in a symbol of Islamic conquest.

This project is what it is and its purpose can not be misconstrued. It is not just a simple gathering place for those of a particular religion.

A good wiki on the subject and background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordoba_House

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_C%C3%B3rdoba

So should we shut down the mosque that is 4 blocks away that has been there since 1970? All Muslims are the same, correct?

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll preface this by saying, I have no idea to the legitimacy of the email, but I received an email yesterday talking about how the mosques in NYC are overflowing with worshippers. So much so, that the overflow has taken towards worshiping in the middle of the streets holding up traffic, etc. Even had pictures of them doing so on Park Avenue.

If this is the case, wouldn't another mosque be a good thing for the city as it would give those worshiping another place to go, instead of resorting to worshiping in the streets in front of the mosques, etc.?

I'll preface this by saying, I have no idea to the legitimacy of the email, but I received an email yesterday talking about how the mosques in NYC are overflowing with worshippers. So much so, that the overflow has taken towards worshiping in the middle of the streets holding up traffic, etc. Even had pictures of them doing so on Park Avenue.

If this is the case, wouldn't another mosque be a good thing for the city as it would give those worshiping another place to go, instead of resorting to worshiping in the streets in front of the mosques, etc.?

If it's the same one I got, it's fiction. The picture was of some annual event that takes place.

So should we shut down the mosque that is 4 blocks away that has been there since 1970? All Muslims are the same, correct?

The insinuation that anything like that was said is complete hyperbole since I clearly stated that even the current function of Park51 building by followers of Islam is more than acceptable. Apparently, no one wants to deal with history, background and objectives of a very specific person - Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. So the response seems to be to keep painting this action with the broad brush of religious bigotry.

The insinuation that anything like that was said is complete hyperbole since I clearly stated that even the current function of Park51 building by followers of Islam is more than acceptable. Apparently, no one wants to deal with history, background and objectives of a very specific person - Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf. So the response seems to be to keep painting this action with the broad brush of religious bigotry.

YOU may be dealing with a specific person. The vast majority couldn't tell you anything about said person.

The vast majority who are against this are against the "Muslim" issue first and foremost. Secondly, they are against the "mosque" issue. 90% could not tell you anything about the Imam.

So while you're cool with the Park 51 building the ones screaming the loudest , including politicians, are NOT.

Bottom line for me is I don't think it shouldn't be built because it is not their right to do it, but because it is not the right thing to do. Too many too closely attached to the 9/11 attack have issues with it, that's reason enough for me.

Exactly RTS-show some compassion to the victims in our country for once.