A Stupid Idea?

Apparently he has no idea though, exactly WHY there are people who choose NOT to say Merry Christmas, or that they have a RIGHT to NOT celebrate Christmas, or any other religious holiday.

And there are people who have every right to say it, and have their rights removed when unable to say it.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So which is it-did you graduate from high school a long time ago, or did you graduate from a christian/catholic school?

That's irrelevant since I've never had either referred to anything other than Spring Break and Winter Break, but I went to catholic schools....You'd think they'd refer to them the way you do if anyone really actually cared...:rolleyes:

That's irrelevant since I've never had either referred to anything other than Spring Break and Winter Break, but I went to catholic schools....You'd think they'd refer to them the way you do if anyone really actually cared...:rolleyes:

Catholic/christian/religous schools are exempt from this type of language. The point I was making. Public schools may offend someone by calling it Christmas break.

Catholic/christian/religous schools are exempt from this type of language. The point I was making. Public schools may offend someone by calling it Christmas break.

Ok, so I went to a Catholic school and they don't call it Christmas break either....Who are they worried about offending? The bottomline is, anyone who's really trying to complain about what name we give our school breaks is simply looking for something to gripe about.

Either you went to a christian/catholic school or graduated a long time ago. Christmas break is now referred to as Holiday break, and Easter Break is spring break. In all seriousness, kids can get in trouble at PUBLIC schools if they don't refer to the breaks in the proper way. Happy Holidays! We are a lame nation.

You do realize there are people in this country that are not Christian? So why do you think it is ok to force your religion on them? Also in my 13 years of public school it was never once called Easter Break. I am 35 now.

You do realize there are people in this country that are not Christian? So why do you think it is ok to force your religion on them? Also in my 13 years of public school it was never once called Easter Break. I am 35 now.

I do.

I don't, but I sure as heck am not gonna have theirs tossed down my gullet either. Some of the older posters can tell you indeed Spring Break used to be Easter Break.

I do.

I don't, but I sure as heck am not gonna have theirs tossed down my gullet either. Some of the older posters can tell you indeed Spring Break used to be Easter Break.

But you insist on jamming your's down their throats.

That's exactly why they use Happy Holidays, because it's a greeting that encompasses all different beliefs. You wouldn't like it if schools constantly wished everyone Happy Hannaukah (sp?) would you? Do you think a Jewish student who doesn't celebrate Christmas wants to constantly hear Merry Christmas?

But you insist on jamming your's down their throats.

That's exactly why they use Happy Holidays, because it's a greeting that encompasses all different beliefs. You wouldn't like it if schools constantly wished everyone Happy Hannaukah (sp?) would you? Do you think a Jewish student who doesn't celebrate Christmas wants to constantly hear Merry Christmas?

You know if I am in France-I would expect to hear the people speaking French. If I am in a country that is predominantly Christian, I suppose I would think I would hear "Merry Christmas" alot.

You know if I am in France-I would expect to hear the people speaking French. If I am in a country that is predominantly Christian, I suppose I would think I would hear "Merry Christmas" alot.

But America isn't a Christian nation. How are you not understanding that? The whole concept around which our nation was founded was freedom of speech and religion, not "majority rules"....

And to make a comparison to a country's primary language is completely off base.