It Might Get Loud

Habib

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 15 or so years I would agree with you. I don't know how you could listen to something like "Boy" or "October" -- in the context of the time those albums came out -- and think that was a play for the pop charts.

You have to understand though. And again this is just in my mind and no disrespect to you or anyone else. But in my mind, when I think of bands from the 80's I like, I immediately think Van Halen, Metallica (all of their pre Black album stuff was awesome),Black Flag, stuff like that. So with that said, its easy to see why I am not into U2.

You have to understand though. And again this is just in my mind and no disrespect to you or anyone else. But in my mind, when I think of bands from the 80's I like, I immediately think Van Halen, Metallica (all of their pre Black album stuff was awesome),Black Flag, stuff like that. So with that said, its easy to see why I am not into U2.

So generalized, you go for the harder rock music when it comes to the 80's (which is fine...not intended as a dig or anything). Have you ever spent time looking into the Talking Heads though? Because in my mind, when you get yourself into them, it'll open you up to a lot of broader musical interests.

I've seen the Jimmy Kimmel clips a bunch of times and still laugh every time. If you like that then go check out the Live Performance of Berserkers (BLS) I think from Boozed, Bruised, and Broken Boned in which many times through the song he takes shots at Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst.

But yeah, most people who don't know what their talking about try to rip on Zakk and not give him the accolade he deserves being he plays a harder brand of music. But his chicken picking techniques, pinch harmonics, and all the other techniques he has mastered is incredible. Goes wild on so many different scales it is crazy, the things he throws into his solo's are always sick. And I agree with you 100% most of his best stuff is with Black Label Society, which obviously gives him more freedom being it is his own band. If you haven't heard Pride and Glory, check them out too. Was Zakk's first solo band apart from Ozzy and had a very southern rock driven vibe. Good stuff in that as well. Luckily I have had the privledge of seeing Zakk live a couple of times, one time was only about 8 feet away from him. Just the presence he brings on stage when he comes out with his big hulking frame and signature Les Paul is an experience to behold. Then before even saying a word, he starts ripping on that Les Paul and the electricity that pours out of those Marshall's almost knocks ya down.

Not considering this the greatest guitarists of all time because clearly that will always be debatable, but If I had to name a handful of my favorite guitarists it would be Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Zakk Wylde, Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi, David Gilmour, Dimebag Darrel Abbot, and perhaps somebody like Slash, or the take your pick of the Skynyrd rippers.

:thumb:

There are a lot of underappreciate guitar players. Zakk is one of them. I was glad to see Wylde win that award. There are also some very overrated guitarists (Angus comes to mind although I do like me some of the older AC/DC stuff), but they do all bring something to the table. Some just bring more than others!! I think it is hard to pick 'the best'. Opinions vary. But if you like them and enjoy hearing them play, then that it is all good. :D

So generalized, you go for the harder rock music when it comes to the 80's (which is fine...not intended as a dig or anything). Have you ever spent time looking into the Talking Heads though? Because in my mind, when you get yourself into them, it'll open you up to a lot of broader musical interests.

They are underrated and do bring a lot of different influences to the table. But I think in most rock music, the guitar is the primary driver of the music and gets more of the focus.

For me, any great guitar player will get my attention. From Segovia to Satriani, from Petrucci to Eric Johnson, from Ry Cooder to Chet Atkins, SRV to Van Halen, Steve Morse to Vai, ... I love to listen to great guitar playing no matter the musical style. :thumb:

Well some of my favorite 90's bands include Blind Melon and acts like that. So I have a broad range of musical interests, and its not about anything being any softer because obviously Blind Melon isn't hard by any means. I just have an aptitude for bands I feel that are real and genuine. It's just a matter of likes and dislikes and for some reason U2 is just one of the bands I have long disliked.

:thumb:

There are a lot of underappreciate guitar players. Zakk is one of them. I was glad to see Wylde win that award. There are also some very overrated guitarists (Angus comes to mind although I do like me some of the older AC/DC stuff), but they do all bring something to the table. Some just bring more than others!! I think it is hard to pick 'the best'. Opinions vary. But if you like them and enjoy hearing them play, then that it is all good. :D

Exactly. :thumb: That's what its all about.

And I mean that for everybody. :lol:

If you guys want to get down and jam on "The Edge", then get down with it. :lol:

The Edge. :sssh::D:rolleyes: sheeeew, I'd like to know what he was thinking when he came up with that.

If you guys want to get down and jam on "The Edge", then get down with it. :lol:

The Edge. :sssh::D:rolleyes: sheeeew, I'd like to know what he was thinking when he came up with that.

A lot of people use stage names. Zakk Wylde uses one as well (Jeffrey Phillip Wielandt is his birth name). Can't hold it against him for that. :D

I've seen the Jimmy Kimmel clips a bunch of times and still laugh every time. If you like that then go check out the Live Performance of Berserkers (BLS) I think from Boozed, Bruised, and Broken Boned in which many times through the song he takes shots at Limp Bizkit and Fred Durst.

It was actually during the performance of "Super Terrorizer" where he was taking shots at Durst. My bad. He rips a killer solo in it as well.

Is calling yourself "The Edge" or "Bono" really any more pretentious than calling yourself "Slash?"

I've seen this at the Redbox for several weeks now, but hadn't heard anything about it to know whether it was a good rent or not. From the sound of it, I will likely pick it up this weekend.

If the pick of the three guitarists was made on innovations in style and playing, then one other name I would have liked to have seen would be Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine. Some of the stuff he does on guitar makes me scratch my head and wonder how in the heck he did that.

I watched it last night and loved it! I actually gained some respect for The Edge, of course I still dislike U2's music, but I have a different perspective of The Edge now.

I got a real kick out of watching Page's excitement come out in his record library as he was bobbing his head and playing a bit of air guitar while he was listening to Link Wray's “Rumble" on the record player. That was priceless!

I also really enjoyed watching the three of them jam to "In My Time of Dying", that was awesome!

Jack White certainly didn't disappoint either, it was really cool hearing him talk about what motivated him and what his musical influences were.

If you're a music fan, this is a must see!

Is calling yourself "The Edge" or "Bono" really any more pretentious than calling yourself "Slash?"

Big difference in "Slash" and "The Edge". For one, Slash can actually shred a little bit. Two, he is actually cool. He is a cool guy and makes for a cool name. I mean I can see someone just being like, "Slash man whats up?" Can't see that many people though going around, "hey man, have you seen The Edge lately? Can't find him anywhere."

But honestly I just like to crack jokes. I understand a majority of acts use stage names, but a guy that calls himself The Edge who is basically an average player all the while playing about the softest form of rock you can play, it just makes me want to make fun of him. That's all it is. :D