Teague leaning to UK?

Blue Magic

GT, why would you say I want to trash the kid? I have never trashed a kid, and never will.

Let me speak from a hypothetical as if I was his father/advisor. For one, UC's stock as a program is down and not going in the right direction. Cronin has alot to do with this imo.

For two, there is a really good chance Cronin will not even be the coach by the time you get there son. He may get fired next season if he doesn't produce better results.

Lastly, wouldn't you rather play for Cal or Pitino? They have both been to Final Four's, and are both TOP FLIGHT coaches in NCAA bb. You have to look at who you would be surrounded with as a player. At UK/UL you would have lots of talent around you and a better chance to win a championship. At UC, the talent around you would not be as good, thus limiting your chances of ever playing for an NCAA championship.

Just the facts. IMO, Cronin is sitting on a warm seat, whereas, Cal and Pitino are not. This could be the difference in the end. Just today, Cal said this is the first time in his career that other coaches could not use the "he's leaving for another job" ammo against him. Be honest GT, if Teague were your son, would you really want him to go to UC and turn down UK or UL?

If it was my son and he wanted to go play for the coach he feels most comfortable with, I'd let him make his own life choices.

Mick is no doubt at a point where he needs to produce results, but the program has shown improvement every season and they would have to fall totally flat next year for him to be fired. Now that Lance is gone that is a real concern, but the reality is he will very likely be there in 2011 and those odds go way up if Teague picks UC...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Teague would look at how Peyton Siva did close to nothing his freshman year? Just a reason not to go to U of L from a UK fan POV.

I have heard some chatter that their is concern as to the development of Siva his freshman year to Eric Bledsoe in his freshman year. Whether this is true or not, I have no clue.

I agree, Cal has done a great job putting those one and done guards in the NBA lately. But let's be honest, any coach in the country would of put Rose, Evans, Wall and Cousins in the NBA. They were ready when they stepped on campus.

From the 2007 and 2008 classes, 3 players were drafter higher than their ranking in the class (I'm using Scout). Two played for Cal, and both were the highest draft pick from their respective classes.

Michael Beasly - 4th in his class. Drafted #2 (+2)

Tyreke Evans - 7th in his class. Drafted #4 (+3)

Derrick Rose - 6th in his class. Drafted #1 (+5)

Kyle Singler was ranked higher than Rose. Kemba Walker and Samardo Samuels were both ranked higher than Evans. None of those three are in the NBA.

I agree, Cal has done a great job putting those one and done guards in the NBA lately. But let's be honest, any coach in the country would of put Rose, Evans, Wall and Cousins in the NBA. They were ready when they stepped on campus.

Name a non top 10 recruit he's developed. I had this conversation with someone else the other night, only one came to mind. CDR...

And I agree, Pitino hasn't put a lot kids out there lately either.

Joey Dorsey and Shawne Williams from Memphis and I think he had a kid named Roe at UMass other than Camby.

Be that as it may, I dont think Cal is anywhere near the level of an X and O coach as Pitino, but he may be better at handling personalities.

Name a non top 10 recruit he's developed. I had this conversation with someone else the other night, only one came to mind. CDR...

And I agree, Pitino hasn't put a lot kids out there lately either.

Bledsoe? Orton? Both are outside of the top 20 and they're more than likely headed to the NBA. How many of the other kids in the top 25 are going? Take out Cousins and Wall, and you have less than a handful. Lance Stephenson, Xavier Henry, and Derrick Favors are the only ones that come to mind and Henry and Favors haven't even declared yet, I don't think, while Stephenson, some would argue is not ready.

Talent wise McGee and Sosa weren't close. Sosa had an excellent end to the season his freshman year and they never built off of that. I think Ricky P tried to break him down to build him back up after that. Did Sosa have some problems? Sure. But talent wise I thought he was by far the best guard U of L had the last 3 or 4 years if you don't count T-Will on the wing.

I agree that he has more natural talent but like I said McGee was a better defender, better 3-point shooter and team leader. I simply think that Sosa didn't have what it takes mentally to be a great leader. With that said, Pitino's style of ball is not conducive to a single player standing out which I think is pretty relevant to this thread. UofL had two lottery picks last year but nobody's numbers ever really stood out. Basically my point is that natural talent doesn't mean as much when you're playing for Pitino as it does with most other coaches, if you don't buy in to his system then you are much less likely to ever stand out on a national level which is why I've never really been sold on Teague coming to UofL.

The longer the chain gets the easier it is to add another link. It got started with Rose and Evans. It's looking like Wall will continue it, with Knight after him. Rose was ROY and an All-Star this year. Evans will make a case for ROY this year, and was a top ten pick. It looks like Wall will go number one and make Cals PG's 2/3 as number ones in the last three drafts. You can only speculate on the play of Wall in an NBA rookie campaign, but with this class I'm sure it will be a safe bet he would be competing for ROY as well. Then you go to someone like Brandon Knight who will eventually be a coveted NBA prospect. You stand back and look at all of this knowing you are in the same shoes they were, then it would have to be hard to not follow in their footsteps. If it worked for them then its gotta have to work for me (he must think).

I agree that he has more natural talent but like I said McGee was a better defender, better 3-point shooter and team leader. I simply think that Sosa didn't have what it takes mentally to be a great leader. With that said, Pitino's style of ball is not conducive to a single player standing out which I think is pretty relevant to this thread. UofL had two lottery picks last year but nobody's numbers ever really stood out. Basically my point is that natural talent doesn't mean as much when you're playing for Pitino as it does with most other coaches, if you don't buy in to his system then you are much less likely to ever stand out on a national level which is why I've never really been sold on Teague coming to UofL.

What you just said summarizes how I feel. For many coaches Sosa would have got the minutes regardless and they would have worked from there. I think Teague would be nuts to go to U of L because of how Pitino coaches. RP is still one of the best but his style just doesn't fit the NBA game.

I spoke with Pike district athletic director James Perkins about an hour ago and he said the Teague family will notify the media (through the school) a week in advance of his decision. At that point, a date and time will be scheduled for a news conference at Pike for Teague to announce his choice.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2010/04/more-on-teague.html

Joey Dorsey and Shawne Williams from Memphis and I think he had a kid named Roe at UMass other than Camby.

Be that as it may, I dont think Cal is anywhere near the level of an X and O coach as Pitino, but he may be better at handling personalities.

Cal is much better at handling personalities. I agree with ya...

I spoke with Pike district athletic director James Perkins about an hour ago and he said the Teague family will notify the media (through the school) a week in advance of his decision. At that point, a date and time will be scheduled for a news conference at Pike for Teague to announce his choice.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2010/04/more-on-teague.html

Thanks for the update! :thumb: