Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Teague leaning to UK?

Featured Replies

Quote from Jerry Meyer:

 

"Whispers are growing louder that Kentucky will win out for Teague despite the family connection with Pitino."

 

Kid was U of L bound in my mind until recently. I feel like UK maybe has closed the gap a little bit. Still think he's going to be a Card but I'll take whispers over no whispers.

 

Apparently Meyer is not the only one hearing the whispers, because Alex Bozich of Inside the Hall said he expects Teague to pick UK, despite the delay. Also Matt May said he has heard that UK is his likely destination.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I'm glad he treats them different than Cal (as you mentioned). I think Cal lets his players run over him too much. Not many coaches would of took Cousins and Ortons attitude. That's what makes Cal who he is though, he can handle the attitude kids. Pitino can't. That doesn't make one better than the other IMO.

 

I do agree with your last point though, Pitino's system isn't for the 1 and done type players.

I think Cal did a tremendous job with Cousins. I think he developed a rep earlier in the year and it stuck to him. It was really beyond ridiculous how he was handled by the officials. Sure he overreacted in the UL game but pretty much that point forward he was very very good...improved as much as any player in the country. In general his rep followed him and everyone jumped on. He didnt lose his cool too much and the refs went to the monitor everytime on him practically and he got beat like a pulp. Case in point, the Cornell kid throws him to the ground in the tourney. What if Cousins had done that? Exactly. What if it was Cousins and not Lance Thomas fouling Hayword last night?

Orton on the other hand, I believe was an extension of his father.

 

One thing that is true is that Cal places kids in the NBA and has been hot lately.

By in large Pitino doesnt and they feed recruits that. Simply there is no proof to that pudding. Garcia, Clark and T-Wil are the only ones in the League. It is a fallacy that people fall for when they say Pitino prepares players for the NBA.

 

Where does Teague land? I have no idea, but he could verbal to a school and change it later on...he still has a long ways to go.

 

He has been to UK, just not this year.

 

The recruiting guy for IU on one of their boards thinks it is UK at this stage.

 

I have nary an idea....Im just trying to figure a roster for next year.

Cal is going to have more first round picks in the last 3 years than some coaches in their entire careers. I am a UK fan but I clearly think NBA scouts will be hanging out in Lexington for a while looking for the next big thing. Pretty good selling point to any recruit who wants to get paid playing ball.

No way this kid goes to UC. Give me 3 reasons you would tell this kid to choose UC if you had his respectful ear. It's gotta be either UL or UK. The class of 2011 could be Cal's best class ever.

No way this kid goes to UC. Give me 3 reasons you would tell this kid to choose UC if you had his respectful ear. It's gotta be either UL or UK. The class of 2011 could be Cal's best class ever.

 

Your line of thinking is why the wild rumors are flying as people take one small quote from Teague and spin it wildly out of control. I only need to give you one reason he could pick UC, and the UL and UK staffs are very aware of it. He has built a great relationship with Mick and Larry Davis over the last two years. From there if you want to trash the kid for that, have at it.

 

Teague was never planning to decide this weekend. it will very likely happen at the end of the summer before the school year starts. UC, UL and UK are all feeling very strong about landing him from the inside.

 

Do I expect him to go to UC? Nope. That doesn't change what I know of his relationship and desire to play for him based on things that have been building for 2 years...

I disagree with your number 1. He didn't treat Sosa and DC bad. They didn't do right, he disciplined them for it. Sosa even admitted he was very immature. Pitino might of forever changed the kid, by making him grow up. The whole transfer thing with Sosa was Pitino saying to him learn to play defense or transfer. Sosa finally decided to listen a little. DC was a head case, and Pitino gave hiim many chances. DC was all about DC. Pitino knew his work ethic and weight problems would keep him from being the best he could be. Sure, he went to UTEP and played, but have you seen the kid. He is obese and no shot at playing in the NBA.

 

Personally, I'm glad he treats them different than Cal (as you mentioned). I think Cal lets his players run over him too much. Not many coaches would of took Cousins and Ortons attitude. That's what makes Cal who he is though, he can handle the attitude kids. Pitino can't. That doesn't make one better than the other IMO.

 

I do agree with your last point though, Pitino's system isn't for the 1 and done type players.

:thumb: :thumb:

I won't argue with DC. I always thought Sosa got a raw deal there though, no matter what his attitude was. Sosa didn't even start alot his sophomore & JR years I don't think which is crazy. Pitino doesn't work well with guys is what I'm saying, it's his way or the high way. I'm not sure that if I were Teague or any other high level guy that I would want to do that. You really never know a coach until you get on the roster.

Last year Sosa started more games and played more minutes then McGee even though McGee was a much, much better defender which is why I believe McGee got the majority of his starts in the latter of the season. McGee was also a better 3-point shooter and overall team leader than Sosa but he played a few less minutes so I don't really see how you can say Sosa got a raw deal.

  • Author

Maybe Teague would look at how Peyton Siva did close to nothing his freshman year? Just a reason not to go to U of L from a UK fan POV.

Your line of thinking is why the wild rumors are flying as people take one small quote from Teague and spin it wildly out of control. I only need to give you one reason he could pick UC, and the UL and UK staffs are very aware of it. He has built a great relationship with Mick and Larry Davis over the last two years. From there if you want to trash the kid for that, have at it.

 

Teague was never planning to decide this weekend. it will very likely happen at the end of the summer before the school year starts. UC, UL and UK are all feeling very strong about landing him from the inside.

 

Do I expect him to go to UC? Nope. That doesn't change what I know of his relationship and desire to play for him based on things that have been building for 2 years...

 

GT, why would you say I want to trash the kid? I have never trashed a kid, and never will.

 

Let me speak from a hypothetical as if I was his father/advisor. For one, UC's stock as a program is down and not going in the right direction. Cronin has alot to do with this imo.

 

For two, there is a really good chance Cronin will not even be the coach by the time you get there son. He may get fired next season if he doesn't produce better results.

 

Lastly, wouldn't you rather play for Cal or Pitino? They have both been to Final Four's, and are both TOP FLIGHT coaches in NCAA bb. You have to look at who you would be surrounded with as a player. At UK/UL you would have lots of talent around you and a better chance to win a championship. At UC, the talent around you would not be as good, thus limiting your chances of ever playing for an NCAA championship.

 

Just the facts. IMO, Cronin is sitting on a warm seat, whereas, Cal and Pitino are not. This could be the difference in the end. Just today, Cal said this is the first time in his career that other coaches could not use the "he's leaving for another job" ammo against him. Be honest GT, if Teague were your son, would you really want him to go to UC and turn down UK or UL?

I think Cal did a tremendous job with Cousins. I think he developed a rep earlier in the year and it stuck to him. It was really beyond ridiculous how he was handled by the officials. Sure he overreacted in the UL game but pretty much that point forward he was very very good...improved as much as any player in the country. In general his rep followed him and everyone jumped on. He didnt lose his cool too much and the refs went to the monitor everytime on him practically and he got beat like a pulp. Case in point, the Cornell kid throws him to the ground in the tourney. What if Cousins had done that? Exactly. What if it was Cousins and not Lance Thomas fouling Hayword last night?

Orton on the other hand, I believe was an extension of his father.

 

One thing that is true is that Cal places kids in the NBA and has been hot lately.

By in large Pitino doesnt and they feed recruits that. Simply there is no proof to that pudding. Garcia, Clark and T-Wil are the only ones in the League. It is a fallacy that people fall for when they say Pitino prepares players for the NBA.

 

Where does Teague land? I have no idea, but he could verbal to a school and change it later on...he still has a long ways to go.

 

He has been to UK, just not this year.

 

The recruiting guy for IU on one of their boards thinks it is UK at this stage.

 

 

I have nary an idea....Im just trying to figure a roster for next year.

 

 

I agree, Cal has done a great job putting those one and done guards in the NBA lately. But let's be honest, any coach in the country would of put Rose, Evans, Wall and Cousins in the NBA. They were ready when they stepped on campus.

 

Name a non top 10 recruit he's developed. I had this conversation with someone else the other night, only one came to mind. CDR...

 

And I agree, Pitino hasn't put a lot kids out there lately either.

IMO its a risky move to commit to Mick at this point.

 

That is why I asked the question. He can like Mick all he wants, but he has to be realistic about Mick's future.

I agree, Cal has done a great job putting those one and done guards in the NBA lately. But let's be honest, any coach in the country would of put Rose, Evans, Wall and Cousins in the NBA. They were ready when they stepped on campus.

Name a non top 10 recruit he's developed. I had this conversation with someone else the other night, only one came to mind. CDR...

 

And I agree, Pitino hasn't put a lot kids out there lately either.

Developed in what sense? Marcus Camby was certainly not a superstar out of the gate. Not a top 10 talent. Lou Roe certainly developed. Joey Dorsey was a big time presence on the interior. I am not sure I am fully buying that. Coach Cal may not be the best game planner and sideline coach, but that is for another thread.

I agree, Cal has done a great job putting those one and done guards in the NBA lately. But let's be honest, any coach in the country would of put Rose, Evans, Wall and Cousins in the NBA. They were ready when they stepped on campus.

 

Name a non top 10 recruit he's developed. I had this conversation with someone else the other night, only one came to mind. CDR...

 

And I agree, Pitino hasn't put a lot kids out there lately either.

 

You're correct that many of those players could have made the jump from high school to the NBA; however, what speaks volumes to me is how well they have performed in the NBA already.

Last year Sosa started more games and played more minutes then McGee even though McGee was a much, much better defender which is why I believe McGee got the majority of his starts in the latter of the season. McGee was also a better 3-point shooter and overall team leader than Sosa but he played a few less minutes so I don't really see how you can say Sosa got a raw deal.

 

Talent wise McGee and Sosa weren't close. Sosa had an excellent end to the season his freshman year and they never built off of that. I think Ricky P tried to break him down to build him back up after that. Did Sosa have some problems? Sure. But talent wise I thought he was by far the best guard U of L had the last 3 or 4 years if you don't count T-Will on the wing.

I agree, Cal has done a great job putting those one and done guards in the NBA lately. But let's be honest, any coach in the country would of put Rose, Evans, Wall and Cousins in the NBA. They were ready when they stepped on campus.

 

Name a non top 10 recruit he's developed. I had this conversation with someone else the other night, only one came to mind. CDR...

And I agree, Pitino hasn't put a lot kids out there lately either.

 

All of the following fit that description, they played for Cal at Memphis and then went on to play in the NBA.

 

Joey Dorsey

Chris Douglas-Roberts

Earl Barron

Antonio Burks

Rodney Carney

Darius Washington

Shawne Williams

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.