Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Duke 61 Butler 59

Featured Replies

I totally disagree I keep going back and can't find a team they would beat.

 

I hear you but there are also a lot of teams they played this year that I didn't think they could beat ... but they did. They are a good example of what a well coached, experienced, fundamentally sound team with everyone filling their roles can accomplish. Plus they are shooting fools. They don't look that great until you watch them execute game after game.

  • Replies 176
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear you but there are also a lot of teams they played this year that I didn't think they could beat ... but they did. They are a good example of what a well coached, experienced, fundamentally sound team with everyone filling their roles can accomplish. Plus they are shooting fools. They don't look that great until you watch them execute game after game.

 

The one thing that really stood out about this Duke team was their philosophy on hitting the offensive glass. I've never seen a team use that aspect so effectively to set up big time shooters for a step in and squared jumper. Zubek, Thomas and the Plumlee brothers did this time and time again to give the perimeter guys a wide open look as the D caved in to hit the glass. As it became more and more effective it opened up a lot of chances to either look to score directly off the board, or pump and drive off the kick out. It was almost like they were running a secondary break type system out of the half court...

The one thing that really stood out about this Duke team was their philosophy on hitting the offensive glass. I've never seen a team use that aspect so effectively to set up big time shooters for a step in and squared jumper. Zubek, Thomas and the Plumlee brothers did this time and time again to give the perimeter guys a wide open look as the D caved in to hit the glass. As it became more and more effective it opened up a lot of chances to either look to score directly off the board, or pump and drive off the kick out. It was almost like they were running a secondary break type system out of the half court...

 

Good point. On offensive rebounds most teams want stick backs. Duke wanted kickouts for the three.

There's like 3.8 seconds left. Duke is up 2...Zoubek is shooting 1 free throw. Coach K tells him to miss it. Zoubek shoots a line drive at the basket & misses the FT shot. Butler's Gordon Hayward gets the rebound, dribbles to half court and throws up a shot at the buzzer. The ball hits the glass, then the rim, and bounces off.
Wow, talk about stretching the odds. I know you get a 50/50 shot at the rebound or at least 40/60 shot. Yes it eliminates the long inbounds pass, but only down 2 I think I'd take the insurance point and make them earn a shot with only 3.8 left.

 

Then again, I have yet to win my first NCAA ring.

I thought the real mistake TO was with about 5 minutes left and 2 remaining. Duke scores out of their own TO and Stevens calls it right away to leave them with that last one for the stretch run. The media stop was close and I didn't see any point in calling that one...

 

I thought the same thing when they called it, did not understand why they called it with around 4 1/2 minutes on the clock with the under 4 minute time out coming on the next dead ball.

Wow, talk about stretching the odds. I know you get a 50/50 shot at the rebound or at least 40/60 shot. Yes it eliminates the long inbounds pass, but only down 2 I think I'd take the insurance point and make them earn a shot with only 3.8 left.

 

Then again, I have yet to win my first NCAA ring.

 

I don't think they had anyone at the line to grab the rebound. They picked up the dribble when he crossed the 3 point line. Just b/c Duke won the game doesn't mean it was a good coaching decision. It was terrible. If he had made it they could have fouled or made Butler hit a half court shot to tie.

I don't think they had anyone at the line to grab the rebound. They picked up the dribble when he crossed the 3 point line. Just b/c Duke won the game doesn't mean it was a good coaching decision. It was terrible. If he had made it they could have fouled or made Butler hit a half court shot to tie.

 

Even Coach K admitted that it was a mistake to tell his big man to miss the FT. But, ... like you said, Butler missed the shot and Duke won.

Congrats to the Dukies who earned the right to be called Champions!

 

Great Game to watch.

 

Special congrats to PurplePride and RockPride. Enjoy it fellas. :thumb:

Thank you to all those that offered congrats. I do truly appreciate it. I will enjoy this one for a while since I never saw it coming nor believed it would happen until last Saturday evening. Thank you fellas.

I totally disagree I keep going back and can't find a team they would beat.

 

I think that they beat Syracuse in '03. The 2-3 zone wouldn't affect Duke, and I don't think that they would miss a hundred free throws like Kansas did.

I think that they beat Syracuse in '03. The 2-3 zone wouldn't affect Duke, and I don't think that they would miss a hundred free throws like Kansas did.

 

I agree. I have always thought that SU team was one of the weaker NC I have ever seen.

I think that they beat Syracuse in '03. The 2-3 zone wouldn't affect Duke, and I don't think that they would miss a hundred free throws like Kansas did.

 

That 2-3 would affect Duke.

 

 

Most people don't understand what they do out of that zone and how hard it is to prepare for.

 

 

I honestly think if WVU would have stuck to the 1-3-1 more against Duke it would have gave them problems.

They don't have to beat any teams from the past or the future, ... just the ones in the tourney.

 

That does not change the fact that this was an off year for college basketball plain and simple.

That does not change the fact that this was an off year for college basketball plain and simple.

That I will give you. College basketball as a whole has gone down the past 10 years or so. It still does not change the excitement factor for me. Talent is spread across the country and there are few great teams any more. While it is exciting, it is easy to see the product is not near as good as it once was.

That I will give you. College basketball as a whole has gone down the past 10 years or so. It still does not change the excitement factor for me. Talent is spread across the country and there are few great teams any more. While it is exciting, it is easy to see the product is not near as good as it once was.

 

Just curious as to what you think the reason for this is. I know a lot of people will jump on the "one and done" issue and the sometimes lack of a constant lineup from year to year for fans to associate with. But what are your thoughts?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.