April 6, 201016 yr I did not read all of the post on this topic but will do so later. I turned this one off early after seeing Duke get call after call. I had no dog on this fight and I do like both teams. It seemed to me the men in strips were not going to let Duke lose. What planet were you watching this from?
April 6, 201016 yr Is this Duke team the worst NC team in recent memory? I think so. Who cares, they are National Champs. :banana:
April 6, 201016 yr After cooling off last night and re-watching the game I have 2 huge complaints. 1 - The charge was just simply a horrible call, no excuse. 2 - The difference in the way they let Zoubak and Howard play is simply..............atrocious. With that said Butler still had a chance to win it. Other than those 2 things every single call evened out during the game and if Howard makes 1 more FT, like he normally does, in the 1st then Butler wins this game. Congrats Duke and Duke fans. You're right. Howard was innocent all throughout the night. The refs could have easily called 10+ more fouls on him too. That cheap shot at the end of the game wasn't anything close to a foul.
April 6, 201016 yr You're right. Howard was innocent all throughout the night. The refs could have easily called 10+ more fouls on him too. That cheap shot at the end of the game wasn't anything close to a foul. That was a clean screen.
April 6, 201016 yr That was a clean screen. It looked to me live he threw his shoulder straight into him, I could be wrong. You can't deny that Howard and Hayward jumped clear over Duke's players as well when going after rebounds. It was a war inside both ways.
April 6, 201016 yr It looked to me live he threw his shoulder straight into him, I could be wrong. You can't deny that Howard and Hayward jumped clear over Duke's players as well when going after rebounds. It was a war inside both ways. It was a war, no problem with that. Howard fouled, Zoubak fouled, its just that the ones they called Howard was tic-tac. In all honesty It was a great game and I will take nothing away from Duke. Coach K is the best in the game at putting teams on the floor that play the RIGHT way. I also think this game proves that you don't always have to have the best athletes to win titles, just the best basketball players...............
April 6, 201016 yr So UCLA's 10 titles in 12 years don't compare? What didn't happen during your lifetime doesn't count? I know you hate UK, but UK's overall history is what it is, more wins than anyone and #2 in titles with 7. That does not discount what Duke has done the past 25 years. Bottom line is that the past 25 years Duke has been the best program in college basketball. Coach K is one of the best ever and the numbers make the argument for him. 11 final fours, 8 title games, 4 championships. That is remarkable in any era. You still have to play the game by the rules and setting of the time, and Duke has done it better than anyone the past 25 years. I really wanted Butler to pull this off. I thought Coach K made a mistake by having his big guy miss the 2nd FT with over 3 seconds left. With under 1.5 seconds, that is the right call. If he hits that 3 pointer, Butler wins. If they hit the FT the best that a miracle 3 can do is tie the game. But in the end, Duke did what they had to do and secured their 4th title. Congrats to Duke on winning the national title. And like Kellogg said, Butler didn't lose it, Duke won it. I'm not saying they don't compare overall. I'm just talking about in the last 25 years or so. You have to consider the old stuff when you go over all. I'm just talking about the past 25 years Duke is the standard of success is in this generation. UK was the standard of success for the 40's and 50's. UCLA for the 60's 70's.
April 6, 201016 yr I just saw John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins, Darius Miller, DeAndre Liggins, and Jon Hood hanging out in one of the buildings on campus my class at 12:30 is at. They were talking about the game last night... I wanted to say Go Duke but thought better. :lol: I do love this UK team though, they are the most down to earth superstars I have ever seen. They were more than ok with people coming up and talking to them. A few people walking by chanted, "One more year" and John Wall started fist pumping.
April 6, 201016 yr Great game. Only thing that bugged me, and this isn't simply anti-Duke sentiment here at all, was the charge call under the basket when Scheyer slid over under Hayward. I hate that call and hope in the near future that they put the restricted area arc in the lane like the NBA. The charging call in college irritates me to no end. Players consistently falling back before any contact made and sliding along with the offensive player still get the charge called, like Scheyer did on that play. That slide at the end is the one that really irks me. I would bet 80-90% of the time an offensive player jumps left or right on his last move and the defensive player shifts his upper body as he falls the refs still give the charge call to the defense. I would love to see the restricted area in college because the refs will continue to make this call unless it is there.
April 6, 201016 yr Is this Duke team the worst NC team in recent memory? I think so. Absolutely not the worst national champion. They are a very good team and one of the better shooting national champions in recent times. Now, if you want to use NBA talent to judge them, yes...this team is probably in the bottom three of the last 20 years with Tubby's UK team and the Arkansas team of 1994.
April 6, 201016 yr I wonder if Duke's run to the title is the easiest, judged soley on the seeding of the teams they played, since the 65 team setup was instituted.
April 6, 201016 yr And I don't think that there's any doubt that Singler is going to make a terrific NBA player. Ok I'll bite. Define terrific. I see him cheering on his teammates if he plays on a good team.
April 6, 201016 yr You're not kidding. She did bite the bullet and let me watch UK/Cornell on a Thursday, though... Compromise is good. However, I sold my soul last night and will be watching American Idol this evening. I think you need another TV! :lol:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.