Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Duke 61 Butler 59

Featured Replies

I thought the same thing when they called it, did not understand why they called it with around 4 1/2 minutes on the clock with the under 4 minute time out coming on the next dead ball.

 

Butler called TO's at the 5:42 mark and the 4:42 mark. In between these was a Duke TO. I agree, very puzzling.

  • Replies 176
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious as to what you think the reason for this is. I know a lot of people will jump on the "one and done" issue and the sometimes lack of a constant lineup from year to year for fans to associate with. But what are your thoughts?

A lot has to do with kids leaving early. A lot has to do with the AAU system and lack of fundamentals. And as I said, with the different layers of exposure now, kids go to more schools now than ever. There are few stars in the college game now and true team cohesiveness is never achieved. Duke achieved it, but they are not a talent laden team. Obviously the level of play and skill level is way above anything from year's past, but this is just human evolution. In my opinion, Butler would have been the worst team to ever win the NCAA title. I do not care what seed they were compared to Villanova or N.C. State in the 80s.

 

In thinking about the top players in the NBA...

 

LeBron - high school

Kobe - high school

Wade - 2 years in college

Mello - 1 year in college

Paul - 2 years in college

A few talking heads on ESPN (Colin Cowherd) was talking about how Coach K made the right call in having Zoubek miss the free throw. He said it was common basketball knowledge.

 

I couldn't believe. That's one of the worst coaching decisions I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Congrats to Duke. Great game. I thought the buzzer beater was in...

I like Coach K but that was a bad coaching call.

 

Here is what Coach K told Seth Davis when asked about missing the free throw.

 

I asked Coach K last nite about missing 2nd FT. Said he did not want OT: "This was a game u could not play things by the book."

 

I am confused by that answer. That answer to me is saying we are going to win this game or let them beat us. I am not hanging around another 5 minutes.

I know the out come of the game turned out in Dukes favor, so why would you even answer the question like Coach K did? That answer IMO tells me he did not really care if they won or not. Why would you not want the best scenario for your team and that would have been to try and make the lead 3 points.:idunno:

 

Congrats to Duke on the win and come on people quit trying to belittle their win.

K said he felt Butler would win in OT, so he took a risk to greater the chances of ending the game in regulation...

That does not change the fact that this was an off year for college basketball plain and simple.

 

I agree with that. This should have been Kansas' season to win it all. Talent and experience. But they didn't.

K said he felt Butler would win in OT, so he took a risk to greater the chances of ending the game in regulation...
I am sorry that is bailing out on your team, IMO. Although it did work out for him that was not the best option for his team. To say you don't think your team can win in OT is not saying much for your players. I think it would have been best that he said I made a mistake in the call, but It worked out for us.

I just assumed Zoubek made the decision himself and Coach K was taking the heat off him.

Is this Duke team the worst NC team in recent memory? I think so.

 

Better to be the worst National Champ, than not, IMO.

Better to be the worst National Champ, than not, IMO.

No doubt :thumb:

Congrats to the Dukies who earned the right to be called Champions!

 

Great Game to watch.

 

Special congrats to PurplePride and RockPride. Enjoy it fellas. :thumb:

 

Thank you sir.

I just assumed Zoubek made the decision himself and Coach K was taking the heat off him.

 

Thus, we have reached my opinion on this. Go back and watch, there is no eye contact or communication, IMO, between player and coach. That place was crazy loud, so a lot of people would've heard something. I think Zoubek, took the reigns in his hands, and tried to insure victory, and it could've cost them the title. Coach Krzyzewski would never throw one of his players under the bus.

Thus, we have reached my opinion on this. Go back and watch, there is no eye contact or communication, IMO, between player and coach. That place was crazy loud, so a lot of people would've heard something. I think Zoubek, took the reigns in his hands, and tried to insure victory, and it could've cost them the title. Coach Krzyzewski would never throw one of his players under the bus.

In other words, Zoubek may not have a coaching future ahead of him :D

In other words, Zoubek may not have a coaching future ahead of him :D

 

Without question.

Better to be the worst National Champ, than not, IMO.

 

A whole lot better, not that I think they are the worst, but what does it really matter.

 

Another thing about the NCAA basketball champion is that it's not mythical. Duke had to beat 6 teams over a 3 week period just like everyone else and were the last team left standing.

]

Another thing about the NCAA basketball champion is that it's not mythical. Duke had to beat 6 teams over a 3 week period just like everyone else and were the last team left standing.

 

You know what? I do really like this point. There is no debating. It is over, and it can't be voted any other way....pretty cool...hint, hint. Football.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.