April 6, 201016 yr Very true, but it's a lot harder to win today than when Rupp won his 4. Actually you could argue to the contrary. It was much harder to win it in Rupp's day because typically only the conference champion made the tourney. It was much less "watered down" then with only the top 25 or so teams making it.
April 6, 201016 yr Actually you could argue to the contrary. It was much harder to win it in Rupp's day because typically only the conference champion made the tourney. It was much less "watered down" then with only the top 16 teams making it. And a lot less teams invested no money in basketball. In some ways it's a circular argument, because in some ways as you point out it was harder. I suppose honestly they are close to the same, but I still favor on the side it's harder to win today.
April 6, 201016 yr YES BABY YES! It's great to be a Blue Devil tonight. I love it for John, Lance, and Brian. John might be my all time favorite Dukie. He will be missed. I will be doing this all night... :dancingpa :dancingpa
April 6, 201016 yr They should have been seeded like the number one overall seed? I dont buy that bracket. I'm just saying that a #1 seed won the title. I don't buy the conspiracy theories.
April 6, 201016 yr And a lot less teams invested no money in basketball. In some ways it's a circular argument, because in some ways as you point out it was harder. I suppose honestly they are close to the same, but I still favor on the side it's harder to win today. True. Harder maybe to win six games as it is now, than 4 or 5. Although most of the first round games are pretty one sided if you are a top 4 seed. Either way, I also am not a conspiracy theorist and winning any single elimination tournament is extremely difficult, no matter the draw. Just look at how the "top" teams went out early this year.
April 6, 201016 yr YES BABY YES! It's great to be a Blue Devil tonight. I love it for John, Lance, and Brian. John might be my all time favorite Dukie. He will be missed. I will be doing this all night... :dancingpa :dancingpa I put him right under JJ. He deserved that title.
April 6, 201016 yr Congrats to the Dookies....I dont like them, but hard not to be impressed by their play. Great game to watch. Butler plays hard.
April 6, 201016 yr I love Butler and Gordon Heyward. They are so much fun to watch. I thought Heyward was a little to passive at times. When he picked it up early in the 2nd half and started getting to the rim, he could not be stopped. Thought he should have been doing more of that earlier. As a UK fan, I would love to have this kid play four years for the CATS. The heave at the end was so darn close, I was hoping..........great game all around. Nice wall screen by Howard on that last shot btw, if you get a chance to go back and watch it, it's worth it. Great run by the Bulldogs. Thought the CATS got hosed in the "One Shining Moment" segment, but I loved our .06 second cameo. Looking forward to next season. College Basketball is awesome.
April 6, 201016 yr Congrats to Duke. You were the only team who was able to get it done, so you all deserved it. Man do I wish that shot at the end by Butler would have fell though, because Butler would have deserved it too, they had a great team!
April 6, 201016 yr Party at RP's tonight:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa Just got home from Indy and my first bourbon is almost gone, plenty more to come, that's why I took off tomorrow as well.
April 6, 201016 yr Does Butler come back ranked in the top five? I would be shocked if they didn't get #2.
April 6, 201016 yr I would be shocked if they didn't get #2. Butler doesn't lose a lot going into next year, biggest losses are Veasley and Jukes. They have two pretty good recruits coming in next year as of right now. May add some more after this long run in the tourney.
April 6, 201016 yr More than anything I am most proud that this Duke team, one that had been ridiculed for not being able to win road games, won a regional final, and the utmost, a national championship in virtual road games. The latter being the most one sided I have ever seen a tournament game being. This was a very gritty bunch, and I simply couldn't be more proud to be a Duke fan!!! Move over Adolph, you have company.
April 6, 201016 yr Congrats to the Dukies and especially their fans on BGP. This is a very tough tournament to win, no matter your seed, your bracket or anything else. The Blue Devils got it done and they deserve a lot of respect for it. I got caught up in the Cinderella story of Butler and was sad for them, however the Blue Devils are a great representative to hoist the trophy. UK fans: Do us all a favor and please give it a rest. Resist the urge to try and diminish this championship, especially by throwing out UK tradition. It looks bad and changes nothing. Give credit where credit is due save the superior attitude for a year when UK does something in the tournament to warrant it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.