What New Music Are You Listening To?

Euphoria by Enrique Iglesias features both English and Spanish songs.

If you live on the planet Earth and listen to popular radio, you've heard "I Like It." It hit #4 on the Billboard Top 100 chart and also made it to #1 on the Billboard Hot/Dance Club Play chart. This second single from the record features Reggaeton rapper Pitbull. Along with Pitbull, Iglesias's songs also feature Pop, Hip-Hop, and R&B stars Akon, Usher, and Nicole Scherzinger.

Euphoria.jpg

Anais Mitchell - Hadestown

Twin Sister - Vampires With Dreaming Kids EP

AA Bondy - When The Devil's Loose

Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks

Any more info on these?

Well, Hadestown is a kind of different take on folk music. I’ve read where several folks are referring to it as a “folk opera”, but basically, it’s a kind of retelling of the Greek myth of Orpheus and the Underworld. Anais Mitchell has singers like Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), Greg Brown, Ben Knox Miller (The Low Anthem), and Ani DiFranco contribute along with herself as “characters” in the opera – Vernon is Orpheus, Brown is Hades, DiFranco is Persephone, Knox Miller is Hermes, and Anais Mitchell is Eurydice. It’s not something you can necessarily listen to every day, but I like it, and there are several songs that are very easy to listen to out of their album context.

Wedding Song

Hey, Little Songbird

Flowers

The Twin Sister Vampires with Dreaming Kids EP is a free download off their website : LINK. Compared to some of their other stuff that I’ve heard, I get the idea that it was just four tracks that they recorded and were unable to fit into another album. I guess I would describe them as indie pop, maybe? Good stuff.

AA Bondy's When The Devil's Loose – I REALLY like this album, although I would still have to say I prefer his more stripped down first album, American Hearts. He has a kind of a Bruce Springsteen Nebraska feel to some of his stuff, and some if it is a little closer to the likes of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. If you haven’t gotten any of his music and are considering picking it up, I’d start from the beginning – there are only two albums anyway.

American Hearts:

Vice Rag

How Will You Meet Your End?

Witness Blues

When The Devil’s Loose:

A Slow Parade

When The Devil’s Loose

The Mightiest Of Guns

Winter of Mixed Drinks was kind of a let down, personally, although I think I should probably go back and give it another listen or two, since I haven’t really picked it back up since I initially bought it. I was an immediate fan as soon as I heard Frightened Rabbit’s first album, Midnight Organ Fight, and bought Mixed Drinks without question because of the previous album, but it didn’t stick with me much. The actual musicality of Mixed Drinks does seem like it may touch a bit more on their Scottish roots (as if Scott Hutchison’s accent weren’t enough already), and that's kind of interesting to me. F.R. is in a similar vein to Wilco though, in my estimation, and maybe similarly they’re doing their own thing as far as changing up and reworking their formula goes. I guess I’ll see…

Midnight Organ Fight:

Heads Roll Off

The Modern Leper

Good Arms vs. Bad Arms

Old Old Fashioned

Winter Of Mixed Drinks:

Not Miserable

Living In Coulour

Swim Until You Can’t See Land

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Bad grammer...tsk-tsk.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a vinyl copy of "Not Even In July": the debut album by JBM - moniker for singer-songwriter Jesse Merchant. I looked into it after reading a review about his album on one of the various music blogs that I frequent, and after finding a couple more reviews and seeing his name thrown around in comparison to artists Bon Iver, Tallest Man On Earth, Sufjan Stevens and Nick Drake, I decided this one would be worth a buy. It's a VERY well made album, and although I would have to admit it doesn't necessarily have the first-listen appeal that Bon Iver or Nick Drake do, it's most definitely growing on me, and I'd pretty definitely give it a thumbs up to anyone who's interested in getting it.

Vinyl comes with free digital download of the album when purchased from the Partisan Records website.

02 - Cleo's Song

09 - Red October

Finally picked up "Infinite Arms" by Band of Horses last week. Great listen, awesome to mellow out to (like pretty much all of their music).

I've been meaning to dive into them, and finally did when I picked up a copy of their debut album, "Everything All The Time," on vinyl the other day. I'm going to need to be hunting down their other releases as well. Great band.

I've been meaning to dive into them, and finally did when I picked up a copy of their debut album, "Everything All The Time," on vinyl the other day. I'm going to need to be hunting down their other releases as well. Great band.
"Infinite Arms" is a very good album. I haven't listened to any of their old stuff but like you I plan on checking it out sometime.

Another one I've picked up on recently is Delta Spirit. I enjoyed the stuff I heard from their 2007 debut, and I'm liking what I'm hearing on their current release. I'll have to pick up their records as well.
I've never heard of them. More information please? :D

"Infinite Arms" is a very good album. I haven't listened to any of their old stuff but like you I plan on checking it out sometime.

I've never heard of them. More information please? :D

Delta Spirit on AllMusic.com

Here's a performance from Live with Jools Holland. The first song is one you've probably heard; just didn't know the name of it (like me).

Been listening to Junky Star by Ryan Bingham. I loved his debut Mescalito and wasn't a huge fan of Roadhouse Sun, Junky Star brings him back into my good graces. Excellent album, and his songwriting really fits into the Steve Earle, Tom Waits, and Chris Knight (especially with his songs about murder and on the run) style of writing about hard and out characters. Plus that voice has the same raw qualities as Steve Earle.

For those of you who have seen Crazy Heart, Bingham penned "The Weary Kind" and also performed it on the soundtrack.

Been listening to Junky Star by Ryan Bingham. I loved his debut Mescalito and wasn't a huge fan of Roadhouse Sun, Junky Star brings him back into my good graces. Excellent album, and his songwriting really fits into the Steve Earle, Tom Waits, and Chris Knight (especially with his songs about murder and on the run) style of writing about hard and out characters. Plus that voice has the same raw qualities as Steve Earle.

For those of you who have seen Crazy Heart, Bingham penned "The Weary Kind" and also performed it on the soundtrack.

I've thought about diving into his stuff as well.

I highly recommend him. And honestly, I only gave Roadhouse Sun a few shakes...been thinking about bringing it back out.

I've had that happen before where an album just didn't jive with me the first few times, for whatever reason, and went back and revisited it and loved it. It seemed like I always had to let Jesus and Mary Chain albums breathe a while before I could appreciate them.

Finally picked up "Infinite Arms" by Band of Horses last week. Great listen, awesome to mellow out to (like pretty much all of their music).

Another one I've picked up on recently is Delta Spirit. I enjoyed the stuff I heard from their 2007 debut, and I'm liking what I'm hearing on their current release. I'll have to pick up their records as well.

I like all three of their albums, and Hangman, your right about "Infinite Arms" being more along the lines of a mellow out album, which is why I'd have to say that I prefer the first album to it. They seem to have more of a tendency to rock it out on more of the songs. Actually, I'd say that they've progressed from a tendency for louder songs to a more "airy" ballad-type sound with each album. Not to say that that's bad, but I liked the "I'm gonna stomp on this distortion pedal and rock out" sound that they had in a lot of the songs on "Everything All The Time".

By chance do any of you listen to Built To Spill or The National? I think Band Of Horses could be likened to both of those bands for different reasons, and I'm a big fan of both of them.

I like all three of their albums, and Hangman, your right about "Infinite Arms" being more along the lines of a mellow out album, which is why I'd have to say that I prefer the first album to it. They seem to have more of a tendency to rock it out on more of the songs. Actually, I'd say that they've progressed from a tendency for louder songs to a more "airy" ballad-type sound with each album. Not to say that that's bad, but I liked the "I'm gonna stomp on this distortion pedal and rock out" sound that they had in a lot of the songs on "Everything All The Time".

By chance do any of you listen to Built To Spill or The National? I think Band Of Horses could be likened to both of those bands for different reasons, and I'm a big fan of both of them.

I haven't really warmed up to Built To Spill yet, for whatever reason, but have enjoyed what I've heard from the current National release. If I could have found a copy of it the other day while at ear X-tacy, I would've bought it.