What New Music Are You Listening To?

I haven't really warmed up to Built To Spill yet, for whatever reason, but have enjoyed what I've heard from the current National release. If I could have found a copy of it the other day while at ear X-tacy, I would've bought it.

The I like High Violet and Alligator the best as far as The National's albums go...although they're all pretty good as far as I'm concerned. And I'd say that Keep It Like A Secret is probably the easiest of the Built To Spill albums to get into.

I've had that happen before where an album just didn't jive with me the first few times, for whatever reason, and went back and revisited it and loved it. It seemed like I always had to let Jesus and Mary Chain albums breathe a while before I could appreciate them.
Oh yea, I've experienced it a couple of times before...actually I think the first time I heard Neko Case I didn't really appreciate it. But that has drastically changed.

Menahan Street Band - Make the Road by Walking

I've been listening to this album for about 3 days straight. I'd actually say it's probably the best album of instrumental music I've ever gotten...seriously. It's great Afrobeat funk. One of my buddies came over to my place last night, and I had the record spinning when he got there. He said it sounded like John Shaft and Jackie Brown should be walking around in my living room :lol:

For what it's worth, they're on one of the Daptone sub-labels, and literally everything I've hear on Daptone has been pretty fantastic. It's an independent funk/soul label based out of Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akvf1uc46pY

• 1 month later...