What New Music Are You Listening To?

• 4 months later...

Drives me nuts that Ruston Kelly (Kacey Musgraves' hubby) keeps passing Cincinnati by with every visit to the area, and this considering that he cut his teeth as the lead singer of the Cincinnati band Elmwood before launching his solo career.

I spotted him by chance a few years back before any proper releases playing a free show at a Brew and Bluegrass festival in a riverfront park on the banks of Bellevue, Ky, and was stunned by how good he was, not to mention his obvious Ryan Adams influences.

After a couple of excellent EP's he finally dropped his first proper release recently entitled "Dying Star".

For any of you alt-country fans of stuff like Ryan Adam, or Whiskeytown, I highly recommend you check him out in Louisville on Friday November 2, at Zanzabar for around $12 bucks.

If the name rings a bell, I've been pushing him here for the last couple of years, and more recently because he opened up for Jason Isbell last time he was in Louisville.

Here's "Jericho" off of his current release.

• 4 months later...

Figured I would try resurrecting this thread.

So Khruangbin (pronounced krung-bin) isn't exactly a new band, I've been jamming on them for about a year or so, but I've found that I've introduced a lot of folks to them, and if you can't tap your toe to their (mostly) instrumental music, you might actually have something wrong with you, haha.

They're outta Houston, TX...quirky to say the least. For no apparent reason they named their band with the Thai word for an airplane. The guitar player and bass player wear wigs when they perform or appear publicly in order to make it easier for them to go through their day-to-day lives without being "celebrity sighted" (The members of Daft Punk and singer Sia have used similar methods to avoid the same day to day hassling.)

Check 'em out though.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...