Holmes 59 Newport 41

I will agree with some of that but there was a goaltending that was not called and some fouls that was not called, and not every shot was contested newport just lost focus. last time I checked free throws are not contested. Think newport missed about 15.

Newport was really intimidated by Pittman inside, that is why they missed so many easy shot. They also missed 17 free throws never gonna win missing free throws like that. To many senoirs on this team to not be able to shoot free throws, no excuse for that at all.

Newport was 7 for 20 from the line.

In today's paper Coach Russell even stated that it was Holmes defense that forced them to shoot as poorly as they did.

Newport struggled with Holmes' athleticism and size. Holmes shortest player on the floor for most of the game was Avery or Slusher who are both 6'3. Newport's smaller guards simply couldn't handle the length of the Holmes guys. I believe Holmes finished with 7 blocks as a team. Don't think that wasn't in the back of the Newport players' minds throughout the game when they got in the lane.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter what game did you watch Slusher was in foul trouble all night

and the avery kid did nothing so the bigs is who killed us inside all night

I believe the point guard for newport should had at least 8 maybe 9 assist all and yea he had 1 turn over not to mention he had newports first 3 Rebounds the other guard I believe hit 3 threes also so our guards did nothing to hurt us last night.

Avery played a solid game, he finished with 8 off the bench and offensively that was his best output of the season, he played strong, slashed, found open men, and converted when he had the chance.

I was not very impressed with Slusher at all, haven't been all season

Guard play, inside play, free throws, you can blame whatever you want, the bottom line is a Newport team who averaged upwards of 80 points, dropped 100 on SCPA, and beat a pretty good Bryan Station squad, and 2 other 30+ point wins, were held to just 41 points by a very good Holmes team. A team that in 4 of 5 games this year has held opponets under 42 points. It could be they are that good defensively, it could be that they are lucky, they get away with goaltends, or they oppositions struggle from the line, but bottom line it happens. They clamp down on folks and that is how they win games, not by scoring 70 or 80 (which they are probably capable of).

Like Walter said just the one, but he had the opportunity for another earlier in the game that had it gone through probably would have shattered the glass. He had what seemed to be some built up anger on that. It caught the back end of the rim and shot up pretty high in the air. It was an impressive miss had it gone through that place would have gone nuts. Newports #33 was trying to talk trash to Pittman after that and from the upper bleachers you could read Pittman's lips saying you almost became a poster.

IMO, J.J should bring the ball up court more. Marc you been to more games than I maybe you can help me out here but I feel he is more comfortable handling the ball, so it seemed. Does he always play like that handling the ball or was it the opponent?[/QUOTE]

JJ is as good of a ball handler as anyone on the team IMO. He just plays to fast at times and makes some mistakes with the ball, Rico plays at a more relaxed pace and gets into the offense and a little better. But I agree when they were pushing it in the second half JJ looked really good handling the ball, minus the 2 possessions when he tried to force it to Elijah when he was off the ground with an easy lay-up infront of him.

Newport was 7 for 20 from the line.

In today's paper Coach Russell even stated that it was Holmes defense that forced them to shoot as poorly as they did.

Newport struggled with Holmes' athleticism and size. Holmes shortest player on the floor for most of the game was Avery or Slusher who are both 6'3. Newport's smaller guards simply couldn't handle the length of the Holmes guys. I believe Holmes finished with 7 blocks as a team. Don't think that wasn't in the back of the Newport players' minds throughout the game when they got in the lane.

One of the players told me that in team meeting after the game that they were told that they missed 17 free throws.

Coach Russell is a good coach but IMO he needs to get that bench developed so that he more weapons to use. Newport runs about seven deep at this point. Tucker is the sixth man and Jones is the seventh. Newport has another senior named Opitz on the bench. The kid has some descent size and could possibly assist more under the rim. This would also give McDaniels and Collins a break so they can stay fresh for the game.

Walter what game did you watch Slusher was in foul trouble all night

and the avery kid did nothing so the bigs is who killed us inside all night

I believe the point guard for newport should had at least 8 maybe 9 assist all and yea he had 1 turn over not to mention he had newports first 3 Rebounds the other guard I believe hit 3 threes also so our guards did nothing to hurt us last night.

I never stated that Slusher did anything spectacular. I simply stated when him OR Avery were on the floor, Holmes' smallest player was 6'3 and the size and length gave Newport problems. When Herndon, Hayes, and Mayfield were in the game during the last minute or two of each quarter, Newport struggled with Holmes quickness.

Avery played very hard at both ends of the floor and ended up with 8 points and probably 5 rebounds so I don't understand how you can say he did nothing?

Use any excuse you want regarding Newport's offense and this player or that player, but the bottom line is, had they played defense they wouldn't have gotten beat by 18 points. Newport simply couldn't guard a bigger, more athletic Holmes team.

The following quotes were in today's story of the game in the Kentucky Enquirer by Marc Hardin:

"Holmes gap closing speed forced Newport shooters to release shots before they could get their feet set. The Bulldogs' height altered shots and shot trajectories.....

...Open space was so hard to come by in the paint, the Wildcats tried to stretch the defense by firing away from behind the 3 point arc...

...Casey McDaniel...had trouble getting his shots off over the outstretched arms of Elijah Pittman (6'7) and Kevon Rice (6'5)...

...Even so, Holmes harrassed Newport so much Monday night, the Wildcats couldn't settle down at the free throw line, where they made just seven of 20 shots..."

Edited by Walter

In the paper today it stated Newport was 7 for 20 from the line.

Yes I saw that also, I was just going off what the player said; we know the paper is never wrong. The same article say's Mcdaniel scored 12 the box score say's he scored 11. Idk

Lod you are a hater Avery plays the role he is assigned to play for this team. what ever is asked of him he does without complaint. With the talent that Holmes has he really does not have to be a scoring machine but you sleep on him and he will make you eventually. His defense speaks for it self because Newports high octane offense was shut down.

Not sure about you but I think holmes might had more if not just as many turn over as newport so I think it was just as much as newport losing focus inside and we had good looks outside shots just did not fall for them and for anybody to compare newport scoring 80 plus on Villa and SCPA against us only scoring 41 one on holmes is crazy to think we could even do that if you shot 50%. not saying holmes did not alter any of our shots but newport had a lot of good looks that just did not fall. REMEMBER we left at least 15 points from the free throw line and who knows some of them was one and one that we did not even get the bonus shot.I would had loved to see newport play a little zone in the second half not sure holmes shoots very well from outside and could had stop some of the one on one holmes did, most of holmes points was done inside.

Not sure about you but I think holmes might had more if not just as many turn over as newport so I think it was just as much as newport losing focus inside and we had good looks outside shots just did not fall for them and for anybody to compare newport scoring 80 plus on Villa and SCPA against us only scoring 41 one on holmes is crazy to think we could even do that if you shot 50%. not saying holmes did not alter any of our shots but newport had a lot of good looks that just did not fall. REMEMBER we left at least 15 points from the free throw line and who knows some of them was one and one that we did not even get the bonus shot. I would had loved to see newport play a little zone in the second half not sure holmes shoots very well from outside and could had stop some of the one on one holmes did, most of holmes points was done inside.

Holmes would've killed Newport on the glass if they would have played zone. That's why Coach Russell stuck to man to man.

Teams don't zone Holmes unless they absolutely have to.

Not sure about that but it would had stop them from driving and dishing the ball and getting easy shots. We could have got a little rest for the 4th quarter. I believe you have to make Holmes prove they can shoot the ball from out of the paint. If you box them out and do your job in the zone in mixes things up. You just can not play them man to man for 4 quarters and play 6 kids. Newport just played a team bigger than Holmes and done a nice job and got a win over Bryan Station. I know they are not as good as Holmes but they were bigger than Holmes. Newport's shot was falling down there unlike last night.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule 13

Not sure about that but it would had stop them from driving and dishing the ball and getting easy shots. We could have got a little rest for the 4th quarter. I believe you have to make Holmes prove they can shoot the ball from out of the paint. If you box them out and do your job in the zone in mixes things up. You just can not play them man to man for 4 quarters and play 6 kids. Newport just played a team bigger than Holmes and done a nice job and got a win over Bryan Station. I know they are not as good as Holmes but they were bigger than Holmes. Newport's shot was falling down there unlike last night.

The simple fact is that Newport didn't win and quite honestly got smoked by Holmes. Just face it, Newport is not even close to Holmes.