Holmes 59 Newport 41

Newport played a great first half. Newport IMO was in control of the first half. It wasn't Holmes slowing the tempo in the first half. That isn't their style of play. Newport was all over Holmes on defense in the first half. Holmes shot from the outiside most of the first half. Now, the second half was all Holmes' style of play. IMO Newport got tired in the second half. IMO the difference in this game was Newport not hitting their free throws and not using their bench. Holmes has a lot of weapons on their bench.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did either of the three, Johnson brothers, or Pittman, have any dunks in the game:dancingpa

Like Walter said just the one, but he had the opportunity for another earlier in the game that had it gone through probably would have shattered the glass. He had what seemed to be some built up anger on that. It caught the back end of the rim and shot up pretty high in the air. It was an impressive miss had it gone through that place would have gone nuts. Newports #33 was trying to talk trash to Pittman after that and from the upper bleachers you could read Pittman's lips saying you almost became a poster.

IMO, J.J should bring the ball up court more. Marc you been to more games than I maybe you can help me out here but I feel he is more comfortable handling the ball, so it seemed. Does he always play like that handling the ball or was it the opponent?

Newport played a great first half. Newport IMO was in control of the first half. It wasn't Holmes slowing the tempo in the first half. That isn't their style of play. Newport was all over Holmes on defense in the first half. Holmes shot from the outiside most of the first half. Now, the second half was all Holmes' style of play. IMO Newport got tired in the second half. IMO the difference in this game was Newport not hitting their free throws and not using their bench. Holmes has a lot of weapons on their bench.

While I agree Newport played good D in the 1st half the definitely did not control it. I really can't explain why they took so many outside jumpers. At no point did they make a strong attempt to go inside. As far as the FT you are correct they can keep you in a game or push you over the top and Newport had no legs in the 2nd to shoot them. I don't know much about Newport but #33 better his head on straight. He spent more time trash talking Pittman and complaining to the refs that he completely took himself out of the game. He got lucky he didn't get T up either for taunting after a foul call. I was impressed Holmes' D. I knew they were tough but I didn't realize how much they intimidated other teams. I felt that Newport really altered a lot of easy shots because of the presence of Holmes defenders.

There was a pretty nice crowd on hand for this game.

I thought Newport played fairly well through three quarters. This is easily the best team they have had in quite a few years.

I was impressed with #33. Sure he was jawing but it was going both ways. He is a decent little post player who was not afraid to force contact and finished better than any of the other post players for Newport.

The kid from Cincinnati has some potential and is athletic enough to give teams problems.

Newport has enough to give NCC and Highlands trouble because they have a little but of everything to be a good team. What they do not have is depth. I think they can only go 6 deep.

Newport missed a few uncontested layups early, but hung in there.

I dont think Holmes slowed it down in the first half, but turned the ball over a little too much and settled for too many perimeter shots. Add to it they didn't get into transition as much.

In the second half they were able to get out and go and Newport wore down and were not contesting nearly as well on the boards as they did in the first half.

Solid overall game for Jeremiah Johnson. Not too many players can get off there feet, as quickly as like he can. Pittman with a solid game, as did Ricardo.

There were a few high school coaches there scouting tonight. I saw members of Highlands staff there. Do they play Newport any time soon?

How about the kid for Newport who came out in the starting lineups and did one of those jumps where teammates collide in the air? Unfortunately, he got up high, but didnt have his feet under him when he landed and splashed on the court.

While I agree Newport played good D in the 1st half the definitely did not control it. I really can't explain why they took so many outside jumpers. At no point did they make a strong attempt to go inside. As far as the FT you are correct they can keep you in a game or push you over the top and Newport had no legs in the 2nd to shoot them. I don't know much about Newport but #33 better his head on straight. He spent more time trash talking Pittman and complaining to the refs that he completely took himself out of the game. He got lucky he didn't get T up either for taunting after a foul call. I was impressed Holmes' D. I knew they were tough but I didn't realize how much they intimidated other teams. I felt that Newport really altered a lot of easy shots because of the presence of Holmes defenders.

I, too, was surprised Collins (#33) didn't get a T called on him after that. Rice fouled him and instead of turning around and walking to the line Collins put his hands up in Rice' face and started clapping. Very unsportsmanlike IMO.

I was pleased to see Rice keep his composure in that situation though. Had that been last year, Rice would've ended up with a T. He seems to have grown up some.

Like Walter said just the one, but he had the opportunity for another earlier in the game that had it gone through probably would have shattered the glass. He had what seemed to be some built up anger on that. It caught the back end of the rim and shot up pretty high in the air. It was an impressive miss had it gone through that place would have gone nuts. Newports #33 was trying to talk trash to Pittman after that and from the upper bleachers you could read Pittman's lips saying you almost became a poster.

IMO, J.J should bring the ball up court more. Marc you been to more games than I maybe you can help me out here but I feel he is more comfortable handling the ball, so it seemed. Does he always play like that handling the ball or was it the opponent?

Is that like a jumbo shrimp?:D

"Official" box Score from today's enquirer:

Newport (4-1): McDaniel 4 2 11, Tucker 3 1 10, Collins 4 0 8, Foster 1 3 6, Luther 2 0 5, Sizemore 0 1 1, Totals; 14 7 41

Holmes (4-1): J. Johnson 8 0 17, Pittman 5 3 13, R. Johnson 5 0 10, Avery 3 2 8, Rice 2 2 6, Hayes 1 0 3, Slusher 1 0 2, Totals; 25 7 59.

Newport: 9-12-10-10- 41

Holmes: 12-11-20-16- 59

3 pointers: N 6 (Tucker 3, Foster, Luther, McDaniel), H 2 (J. Johnson, Hayes)

J. Johnson- 17 points, 13 rebounds

Pittman- 13 points, 12 rebounds, 4 blocks

R. Johnson- 10 points, 5 assists

Edited by Walter

I was way off on my prediction here. Pittman is going to make or break Holmes this season. If he can stay in the lineup and get double doubles like this consistently then they have a strong chance of repeating as Region champs. I honestly think they need to develop their bench more if they want to try and repeat as State Champs.

I was way off on my prediction here. Pittman is going to make or break Holmes this season. If he can stay in the lineup and get double doubles like this consistently then they have a strong chance of repeating as Region champs. I honestly think they need to develop their bench more if they want to try and repeat as State Champs.

Avery coming off the bench tonight was very impressive, similar to Brandon Housely last year and they got solid minutes at the guard positions from Hayes and Herndon tonight. Definately more impressed with that group than I have been all season.

As far as Pittman goes, when Holmes was in there half court he constantly had position and was working hard on the block, but for the first 14 minutes of the first half Holmes was living on the outside and not making shots, when they got it in to him he had is way in the final 2 minutes. I thought they were going to continue doing that in the second half, instead they got out and ran with the ball (which is what I have been calling for all year) and they looked really impressive, JJ and Rico really pushed the tempo, Avery did a lot of slashing and Eli cleaned everything up. Rice scoring wise struggle this evening but he played a great game defensively and had a couple nice putbacks himself as well. All in all from the first half to the second, Holmes looked like 2 different teams.

I, too, was surprised Collins (#33) didn't get a T called on him after that. Rice fouled him and instead of turning around and walking to the line Collins put his hands up in Rice' face and started clapping. Very unsportsmanlike IMO.

I was pleased to see Rice keep his composure in that situation though. Had that been last year, Rice would've ended up with a T. He seems to have grown up some.

I liked the energy from #33 for Newport. He was at least physical against Holmes. The trash talking was going on by both teams especially #33 Collins and Pittman.I agree that Rice did keep his cool and looks like he has grown up. Holmes is great on the defense end and we all know thats what wins championships!

Not sure what game you guys watched last night Newport missed

a lot of easy shots some being layups. had they made 50% of what they missed and not to mention 35% from freethrow line this game would have been totaly different outcome.

Not sure what game you guys watched last night Newport missed

a lot of easy shots some being layups. had they made 50% of what they missed and not to mention 35% from freethrow line this game would have been totaly different outcome.

Good defense will make you miss what look like easy shots. When you get a few shots put back in your face you tend to rush them after that.

I will agree with some of that but there was a goaltending that was not called and some fouls that was not called, and not every shot was contested newport just lost focus. last time I checked free throws are not contested. Think newport missed about 15.

Newport was really intimidated by Pittman inside, that is why they missed so many easy shot. They also missed 17 free throws never gonna win missing free throws like that. To many senoirs on this team to not be able to shoot free throws, no excuse for that at all.

I will agree with some of that but there was a goaltending that was not called and some fouls that was not called, and not every shot was contested newport just lost focus. last time I checked free throws are not contested. Think newport missed about 15.

Missed free throws will kill you! There is a reason they call them "free" throws. Sometimes tired legs will attribute to this and maybe players just aren't in the same game shape that they will be in later on in the season. There is no excuse for not practicing them as you don't really need anything but a ball and a basket to do that.