McCracken County Football

There is a rumor that if Tilghman took Reidland, Then LO and Heath would consolidate then that would make 2 5A schools.

That would likely require some type of expansion of the Paducah city limits, correct?

I do agree that two similar sized schools would be more beneficial for McCracken County.

There is a rumor that if Tilghman took Reidland, Then LO and Heath would consolidate then that would make 2 5A schools.

I've never heard of an independent school district "taking" a county school. I don't see that happening.

The city boundaries don't always match up with the city school district boundaries. That's why Richmond Madison closed in the 80s.

I'm surprised about this. Westsider didn't think it would happen several years ago when it was first discussed.

Paducah Tilghman is an independent district that won't close the doors unless finances dictate it. There is some feeling that, for various reasons, a McCracken consolidation to one school could take enough students away from Tilghman to cause that.

I don't want consolidation at all, but if it has to happen, I would rather have two county schools (East and West McCracken) with Tilghman operating as it always has.

The only way it happens is if Paducah Independent closes the doors. In that case, the Reidland kids could be placed in Tilghman's current building since the new school is slated to be built on the Lone Oak-Heath side of the county.

Not exactly" take" but Reidland is so close ine proximity to the city limits it could be done very easily..All it would take is the city to aprove it and get the tax dollars that they would gladly have.....

It's not that easy.

The state would have to approve taking land away from the county school district, which seems unlikely. I don't think it's ever happened, except for a subdivision or street, not an entire section of a county.

Not only will McCracken County be a 6A school but they will not have much competition in the Western Kentucky area. That will hurt them year in and year out when they have to meet the St.X and Trinity late in the playoffs if they get there. A 6a school in the Paducah area is really going to hurt the chances of state championships coming back there.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I should add competition in their class, not saying there aren't good teams in the Western Kentucky area because that was definitely not the case with Ft. Campbell, Mayfield, Tilghman, and Lone OOak in their respective state championship games this year.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

It's not that easy.

The state would have to approve taking land away from the county school district, which seems unlikely. I don't think it's ever happened, except for a subdivision or street, not an entire section of a county.

The boundry lines are totally rediculous. Lone Oak kids live 5-10 blocks from Tilghman and Health kids live one mile from Tilghman but drive 10 miles to Health. (These are estimates) But here is the truth. If you redrew the school boundry lines you wouldn't need to spend all the tax money to build a new high school.