Did anyone see....

ftbll4life

The reason I have always heard is to give an advantage to a team with a really good kicker.

And to take away the advantage a team with a really good kick returner has. So, why not level the playing field and make all 22 players on the field work......allow the returner to run the ball out.

I don't see rules in place to give one team an advantage as being fair.....unless of course there was sarcasm in the post and I just couldn't detect it. :irked:

Later.

I've always heard it's because there are a higher percentage of injuries on kickoff and kickoff return's and that this was a way of limiting opportunity for injuries.

So why not eliminate the onside kicks? That would seem to be very dangerous.

That's cool, but it doesn't really state the PURPOSE of the rule. Why is the returner NOT allowed to run it out?

Later.

Normally the NFHS adopts a rule a year or 2 after the NCAA adopts it. This one was never adopted? I don't have a feeling on it one way or another but I am sure the NFHS has heard about it? You never know...it could suddenly be changed one year?

I personally do not like the rule. However, it is one with safety in mind. My biggest gripe with the rule though, is that not every ref seems to know the rule. I've seen numerous times where it was called based on the player's foot, and not the ball. Therefore, it leads to many people confused in the stands.

So why not eliminate the onside kicks? That would seem to be very dangerous.

As stated several times above, I believe the rule's primary purpose is to prevent injury, plain and simple. On normal kickoff returns - more so than on on-side returns or even punt returns - you end up with players running at full speed from 20, 30, or 40 yards down field and hurling their bodies at the return team and the kick returner. Personally, I know that both of the concussions I suffered in all the years I played football were the result of being cracked on kickoff returns by wedge-breakers (which, I might also add, is why the NFL has outlawed the wedge).

Punt returns more often than not have a "wall", rather than a wedge, which doesn't necessarily present as much of an opportunity for players to hurl their bodies at one another. As far as onside kicks go, there isn't quite so much running room for players who are looking to get in and bust up the play for the receiving team.

I can't blame officials for trying to minimize injury to our high schoolers. Yes, cutting down the potential for a big return is a disappointment in some ways, but not nearly as disappointing as an otherwise healthy young man being left with a neck or brain injury.

And to take away the advantage a team with a really good kick returner has. So, why not level the playing field and make all 22 players on the field work......allow the returner to run the ball out.

I don't see rules in place to give one team an advantage as being fair.....unless of course there was sarcasm in the post and I just couldn't detect it. :irked:

Later.

No sarcasm and I don't even know if that is the reason. Just what I have always heard. I don't really like the rule myself but doesn't really bother me that much.

I've always heard it's because there are a higher percentage of injuries on kickoff and kickoff return's and that this was a way of limiting opportunity for injuries.

Well heck, let's just do away with kickoffs and always have teams start on the 20 after a score. Not criticising your post Crash, just being sarcastic here. :D

Well heck, let's just do away with kickoffs and always have teams start on the 20 after a score. Not criticising your post Crash, just being sarcastic here. :D

That was my thought as well. I understand the concept of drawing the line somewhere, but if the kickoff is too dangerous to run from one yard deep, then how is it any more safer to run from one yard out?

:thumb:

That was my thought as well. I understand the concept of drawing the line somewhere, but if the kickoff is too dangerous to run from one yard deep, then how is it any more safer to run from one yard out?

It's not the distance, it's the number of attempts.

Not saying I agree with it, but if that's the case I most definitely understand it. Similar to the NFL outlawing 3 man wedges on returns.

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's just what you said: "drawing the line somewhere". They could make it a touchback if the kick makes it inside the endzone, the 5, the 10, the 15 or the 20 yard line. They chose the endzone. They decided that they needed to designate somewhere, and that's where they picked.

I can completely see where people are frustrated because it does certainly cut back on the potential for one of football's biggest momentum-changing plays (the 100+ yard return), and it may seem somewhat arbitrary that they choose to make a kick inside the endzone an automatic touchback, but I really believe there's a greater interest in mind - the health and safety of our young men.

I have to say, I will gladly accept the fact the no Cov Cath returner has the ability to make a 102 yard kick return if that in turn means that the chances of any major head/neck injury to any one high school football player is reduced.

...that's just the way I see it. :idunno: