8th Region Rankings in Cats Pause?

I don't think there are a lot of Spencer fans on BGP, so they do get a little overlooked.

That said, Spencer's girls have been - historically - one of the least successful teams in the 8th Region. Until Kenisha Marshall came, they couldn't get out of the 30th district, fighting Anderson and Shelby. Although it was never substantiated, many thought that last year's team was the first from Spencer to ever play in the 8th Region tournament. (I actually checked with the school and the local paper, and nobody could confirm for sure).

With Marshall gone, the Lady Bears will have to find a new "go-to" player.

They did play in the first round of the 8th region tournamnet in 2000 losing to Oldham County - see link below:

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kygbk9/tournament_16108

They were runner up to Bullit Central in the district that year.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I always wonder why the Cats Pause has to get their preview out so soon. I think they just want to be the first - or one of the first.

I'm not a fan of the Cats' Pause HS rankings, but I guess I have to defend the writers a bit... Before everyone piles onto the writers of the region previews, we need to remember:

1) when those write-ups were submitted, the coaches hadn't even had tryouts. The teams just completed their rosters within the last two weeks...

2) if a team doesn't make it to a region tournament, they typically aren't seen by everyone. For example, I'm eager to see Brooke Hill of Gallatin - but didn't have the chance last year because I didn't cover any regular season Gallatin games last year, and they missed the region tourney.

I'm not completely excusing the writers - some research is required for a decent preview. But I simply think the Cats' Pause previews come out too soon for adequate research to even be possible. One of the reasons I'm not real fond of their rankings.

Ever read one of the first Fantasy Football magazines that hit the stands? You get my idea.

As for players, there's some who are not listed in the top 10 lists in the region, I think, because they haven't demonstrated that they belong there yet. I think everyone has heard about the Wells girl from Shelby...and by all accounts, she's pretty darn good! But she saw limited action on the varsity last year at Shelby County as the coaches brought her along slowly. She averaged 3.4 ppg and 2.3 rebounds, while shooting 37% from the field and 62% from the line. She may still be the star everyone expects her to be - but I think the preview folks putting together these lists often want to see something tangible first...just my thoughts. Why? Partly because many of these writers didn't get to see players such as Wells last year. Probably hurt the McKee kid in the rankings as well for the same reason.

Now if you were fortunate enough to see a game when one of these youthful phenoms actually played, you probably came away with a different impression and feel that the writers simply overlooked them...

I don't think the folks doing the rankings rank the kids based on their college readiness or their prospects to play in college. These rankings are based solely on their expected HS contributions...

I'm finishing up my rankings...and I spent the last two weeks putting them together and connecting with all 16 8th Region coaches and 15 of the girls' 8th region coaches. (one has never responded, but I saw that team four times last year, and know it pretty well). It was a lot of work. I'm sure many folks will laugh or shake their heads at my predictions (especially on the girls' side of the 8th, which is so amazingly young and unpredictable this season). Some may even wind up as locker room bulletin board material...who knows?? But only a couple of coaches even had a roster yet...

But hey, it's all in fun! :banana:

Well let me throw this out there....SK is smaller this year and you can't lose the seniors they did without feeling the pinch. That being said there is a good returning core of talent to reload on. It looks as though the 8th will be a very close race this year with balance across the board. At SK Wainscott will need to pickup where Tolliver left off and Ponzer is very defensive and fast. Has anyone been able to size up the impact of Brown at at SK for her senior year? She averaged 7.7 ppg last year coming in mid-season from shoulder surgery and finishing every game from that point forward. Great Regional Final against Anderson and very good couple games at state. She had a pretty good summer set playing with "Cutters" which had Tibbs, Wainscott, Towles, and Allen.

I'm too close to the picture and would appreciate some outside looking in.

Well let me throw this out there....SK is smaller this year and you can't lose the seniors they did without feeling the pinch. That being said there is a good returning core of talent to reload on. It looks as though the 8th will be a very close race this year with balance across the board. At SK Wainscott will need to pickup where Tolliver left off and Ponzer is very defensive and fast. Has anyone been able to size up the impact of Brown at at SK for her senior year? She averaged 7.7 ppg last year coming in mid-season from shoulder surgery and finishing every game from that point forward. Great Regional Final against Anderson and very good couple games at state. She had a pretty good summer set playing with "Cutters" which had Tibbs, Wainscott, Towles, and Allen.

I'm too close to the picture and would appreciate some outside looking in.

I think anyone thinking SK is going to drop too far will be sorely surprised. The Lady Pioneers will certainly look different - the bigs are all pretty much gone - but their program is built on brutal pressure, transition baskets, and outside shooting. Ponzer and Wainscott will still allow them to put pressure out front, shoot threes, and distribute the ball on the break.

Combine that with the fact SK hosts the region...and the possibility of a three-peat is very real.

That said, the 8th looks astoundingly balanced and young. The winner will likely be the team that matures the most over the course of the season. Everyone has question marks.

Simon will have problems replacing all the scoring that was lost. But I can guarantee you that they will be good defensively. Stowers is know for high pressure defense and don't expect this year to be any different. I would expect lots of guard pressure defensively, and as many quick transition baskets as they can get to account for most of there scoring. If their guards stay out of foul trouble, they will make it very hard for a lot of teams to get into their half court offense. Depth will also pose a problem for the Pioneers this year also. They do not have the bench they have had in the past.

Simon will have problems replacing all the scoring that was lost. But I can guarantee you that they will be good defensively. Stowers is know for high pressure defense and don't expect this year to be any different. I would expect lots of guard pressure defensively, and as many quick transition baskets as they can get to account for most of there scoring. If their guards stay out of foul trouble, they will make it very hard for a lot of teams to get into their half court offense. Depth will also pose a problem for the Pioneers this year also. They do not have the bench they have had in the past.

All very good points. Key for SK will be Ponzer & Wainscott avoiding foul trouble. But I still expect them to rack up a bunch of W's...

Depth-wise, in looking over this year's region, about the only teams I see that look to have quality depth right out of the gate are South Oldham and perhaps Oldham County...for pretty much everyone else, that is a big question mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on Tori Wilhoit's( Williamstown ) knee. She was injured in a scrimmage at Scott co. last week and we were hoping it would end up not being serious. I have not seen any updates and wonder what everyone knows.

She is a great player and I was looking forward to watching her have a great Junior season.