8th Region Rankings in Cats Pause?

Shelby beat South Oldham tonight.. Good win for "rebuilding" Shelby.

Yes, it's a good win...but not a big upset. South is the region favorite because they are more experienced - relatively speaking - than most teams, deeper than almost everyone, and very talented.

But they're still exceedingly young and prone to the up and down swings that go with it. Five of eleven roster spots are filled with sophomores, and three sophomores start. There are only two seniors on the team.

Shelby is definitely rebuilding. I think Coach Conder is going to do a fantastic job there, and Shelby isn't going to be pushed around by anyone in the region. They're a quality program. But they definitely are a dark horse at best to win the region this year, IMO. South is exhibiting what we are going to see throughout the 8th region this year - youthful inconsistency. No coach can speed up the maturation process (emotional, mental, physical) that only comes with time (growing up). We're going to continue to see teams playing up to and down to the level of their competition in this region this year throughout the season due to this, and a lot of close games as a result.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like South Oldham also.. but I think the favorite is Anderson and Simon Kenton. I think that probably next year South will dominate.

Actually I think my favorite may be Walton Verona...they play Carroll Co. on Monday and that will be an interesting game. I of course think that Carroll will win, but it will be nice to see what WV has put together, they have a lot of size on their team.

Carroll for the first time has a lot of experience on the team and have been playing together a long time..the same can be said of Owen Co. It is going to be a fun and interesting time this year in the 8th.

I like South Oldham also.. but I think the favorite is Anderson and Simon Kenton. I think that probably next year South will dominate.

Actually I think my favorite may be Walton Verona...they play Carroll Co. on Monday and that will be an interesting game. I of course think that Carroll will win, but it will be nice to see what WV has put together, they have a lot of size on their team.

Carroll for the first time has a lot of experience on the team and have been playing together a long time..the same can be said of Owen Co. It is going to be a fun and interesting time this year in the 8th.

We should know a lot more about Walton this time next week. With games against Carroll, Grant and Simon this week.

If you think Anderson is the favorite (or one of) this year, It's hard to see South Oldham or anybody leaping them in the coming years. Anderson is starting two 8th graders, 1 soph, 1 junior, 1 senior and brings 7th, 8th and 9th graders off the bench. IF (and it's a big if for a reason) Anderson is one of the best teams in the 8th this year it's hard to see anybody taking that title from them for 4-5 more years.

If you think Anderson is the favorite (or one of) this year, It's hard to see South Oldham or anybody leaping them in the coming years. Anderson is starting two 8th graders, 1 soph, 1 junior, 1 senior and brings 7th, 8th and 9th graders off the bench. IF (and it's a big if for a reason) Anderson is one of the best teams in the 8th this year it's hard to see anybody taking that title from them for 4-5 more years.

I saw them this summer and I thought they looked really good. I guess we will see...

You never know how many girls will stick with it. So many end up not playing all the way through HS.

We should know a lot more about Walton this time next week. With games against Carroll, Grant and Simon this week.

I have got to see them all play (South, Shelby and Anderson) Yes they will all be better by the end, but from what I have seen early Walton Verona is better than these teams right now IMO. I am looking forward to seeing Walton and Simon. Walton has a legit shot to win the region this year. Alot of talent and depth. The lumps the young players took last year has paid off as they are now accustomed to what it takes to compete and seem physically and mentally stronger. It is still my opinion that Simon is the favorite being defending champs and hosting the region.

I would be suprised if it is close. I think Walton probably wins by double digits.

Walton has a very solid Freshman class. I've seen Anderson 8th grade class and it is talented, but I don't think Anderson 8th has the weapons Walton's Freshman class has. So I don't think Anderson is in any way a clear cut favorite for the next 4 years.

Walton has a very solid Freshman class. I've seen Anderson 8th grade class and it is talented, but I don't think Anderson 8th has the weapons Walton's Freshman class has. So I don't think Anderson is in any way a clear cut favorite for the next 4 years.

I didn't call them the clear cut favorite. The poster was saying he thought Anderson and Simon were the favorites this year but that South would be the dominant team a year from now. I just pointed out that it would be hard to call Anderson a better team then South this year and then say that South would be a better team then Anderson next year. The Lady Bearcats only have two upper classmen on their entire roster.

As far as which class as better, Im sure only time will tell. The Anderson 8th and 9th grade group is really really talented. I would put them up against any in the state.

I didn't call them the clear cut favorite. The poster was saying he thought Anderson and Simon were the favorites this year but that South would be the dominant team a year from now. I just pointed out that it would be hard to call Anderson a better team then South this year and then say that South would be a better team then Anderson next year. The Lady Bearcats only have two upper classmen on their entire roster.

As far as which class as better, Im sure only time will tell. The Anderson 8th and 9th grade group is really really talented. I would put them up against any in the state.

I do agree Anderson will be very good. And, having a lot of young talent in the 8th is going to make for some great basketball in the years to come.

The challenge to the coaches is this: maturity. There's no doubt that the younger Anderson players are SCARY TALENTED. But we saw a young talented South team hit their stride late in the season and win 12 of their final 14 heading into the region...but they looked like wide-eyed freshmen in the region tournament.

Coaches can only do so much...the players will mature (physically, mentally, emotionally) at their own pace.

But there's no doubt that Anderson's youth is incredibly talented. They will be a force to be reckoned with THIS YEAR...whether they can win the region is the question.

The difference between this year and last year, though, has to be encouraging to young teams: Last year, a young team (like South) had to find a way to unseat a veteran SK team or upset a veteran Anderson squad (although South did just that, beating Anderson in the regular season).

This year, the many talented young squads in the 8th will "simply" have to contend with - guess what! - OTHER talented young teams... that's why this region is wide open. You can make a good argument for South Oldham, SK, Anderson, Owen, and Walton-Verona, and you better believe that Oldham County, Shelby County, and others will be heard from before all is said and done...