8th Region Rankings in Cats Pause?

Four seniors is painfully young? Then, Anderson must be in the crib this season. 1 Senior, 1 Junior, and 1 Soph, unless there are some I don't know about.

Probably typed that too fast, didn't I? Should have clarified....painfully young AFTER their four seniors. No junior class last year. Lots of middle schoolers playing varsity. :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like they went through the same thing 2 years ago (no seniors or sophs). Why is that? No interest?

Also, they are about where they should be in the poll. Somewhere around 9th to 11th. Guard play will be the key.[/quoteS

Most small schools have the same problem. Numbers go in cycle and more sports are offered for girls. If I remember correctly most of the middle schoolers played JV or freshmen to fill out the all a teams. I only recall 1 middle schooler getting varsity time but I could be wrong as I did not see all games. As far as the top 4 teams in the region they seem accurate to me. After that it may be a toss up

Gallatin lost 4 seniors from last year.

THey have no seniors this year. 4 juniors and the rest are freshmen and below

I stand corrected they have 4 jrs 2 SOPHMORES and 4or 5 fresh. THis is not counting a few middle school players who could see time

I guess a lot of the schools are going through the same things. The 8th is really young overall!

You are right Ltn. Dan. But the young talent in the 8th makes it exciting. Who will continue to elevate their game? Who will be a break out star? THe region being wide open combined with the young talent has alot of people interested. Good luck to all players, coaches and fans in the 8th. Whoever shall prevail in the region best of luck in the state.

It's not just the small schools. Look at South Oldham last year. Half the team was freshmen. Three seniors (one of who only played about a month), two juniors, and a sophomore ...and a boatload of freshmen. The JV team was 8 freshmen and a sophomore...

VERY TRUE! GOOD POINT

It's strange to see the bigger schools playing such young kids....but so goes the cycle, I suppose. The 8th will be "down" this year, but look for it to return to form sooner then you think!

This may be quite a deep and formidable region in 2010-11 and 2011-12!

Does anyone have any insight into Spencer Co next year?. They always seem to not get discussed much but win a lot of games.

I don't think there are a lot of Spencer fans on BGP, so they do get a little overlooked.

That said, Spencer's girls have been - historically - one of the least successful teams in the 8th Region. Until Kenisha Marshall came, they couldn't get out of the 30th district, fighting Anderson and Shelby. Although it was never substantiated, many thought that last year's team was the first from Spencer to ever play in the 8th Region tournament. (I actually checked with the school and the local paper, and nobody could confirm for sure).

With Marshall gone, the Lady Bears will have to find a new "go-to" player.

Mckee is a super talent. She has really expaned her game from last season. Her mid-range game is MUCH improved (she's nearly automatic from 15-18 ft). She has a knack for being in the right spot...she understands the game as well as any young kid I have seen. Her and Brown are a perfect match....Brown can take the bruising bigger players and Mckee can be free to roam a little bit more. Both have the potential to be EXCELLENT shot blockers and rebounders. Brown is an exceptional passer...unbelieveably good for a post player of her size. Mckee is improving in this area, although she is not anywhere near the passer Brown is. Mckee might score and rebound more then Brown, but Brown will be the one the frees her up (and in a lot of cases makes the pass) to do those things.

Defensively Mckee is Whitfield-lite at this point. She has the ability to defend any position 1-5. Her athleticisim is outstanding. She has super long arms and plays much bigger then her 5-9 slight build would suggest.

Both players will be at the mercy somewhat of guard play for AC this year. If young Makenzie Cann comes on and becomes the player all the coaches think she can be (and will eventually become) , this trio will be really tough. Actually at this time last year most thought Cann would be the breakout player as a 7th grader, not Mckee. As it turns out it was the other way around. Don't sleep on her, however. She scored over 20 points against Shelby and carroll this summer in a summer game. She can fill it up from the outside and has the best floor vision of any 8th grader I have seen this year. She will probably lead the team in assists for the next 5 years. She's still a bit akward (she's grown about 5 inches in the last year) but if she puts it all together at some point this season Anderson may challenge for the regional title once again.

The thing to remember with Anderson is their youth. Mckee and Cann might end up being 2 of their best 3 players and they are both in 8th grade. Brown is the experienced one and she is only a sophomore! AC has a brutal schedule, which could go one of two directions come district/region tournaments. These kids have won at every level, so it's going to be different going into the season being the underdog in a lot of games. I think how they respond will really determine where Anderson is at the end of the season.

Maybe a little more then you wanted Mike, but I kinda got on a roll haha.

Just my opinion but from what I saw on the summer circuit Anderson had some of the best young talent in the state.. McKee and Brown could end up in the top half of the region voting this year.

I dont have names...but I know Spencer County was also very young and pretty competitive at the freshmen and JV levels last year. I am not involved in the 8th region. I just know from seeing them on a couple of different occasions.

well, when Anderson played Spencer their JV team was not very good. Could have had some kids out, but they were just non competitive. Also got to see some of the Spencer/Shelby JV game and it was much the same.

That's some high praise but time will tell! Anderson is one of the best middle school teams in the state (if not THE best). I know everybody in Anderson County is really looking forward to watching these young kids play for the next 5 years.

Just my opinion but from what I saw on the summer circuit Anderson had some of the best young talent in the state.. McKee and Brown could end up in the top half of the region voting this year.