What is running up the score?

mcraycraft

Two points on this situation:

1. Sometimes the coach on the bad side of a lopsided score can be to blame. I remember one time years ago we were up 66-0 early in the third and we practically had the cheerleaders in but the young coach on the other side kept right on throwing the ball not taking a minute off the clock when he had the ball and threw 4 interceptions, 2 returned for td's against our freshmen. What are you to do? On the offensive side, we just poked our fullback in there 3 times and punted but that didnt always work. I refuse to punt on first down. I think that is even more humiliating than the score! I saw the same situation one year that Pineville was playing a second year program. Both these games were before the running clock!

2. These type games really skew your stats. We had a tb that had rushed for over 1500 yards in his jr and soph seasons and we were in one of these blowout situations. The lowest output of yardage this rb's senior year was this game. He had 160 some yards on only 6 carries and, in retrospect, it really wasnt fair to not let him have 3 or 4 more carries in the first half but I was simply ashamed to give him the ball. It also skews your defensive stats. It is demoralizing to your defensive unit to hold a good team to one score or scoreless and then allow 3 or 4 scores by an inferior team when we have freshmen in and they are still using their first bunch. We had an undefeated regular season in the 90's and the most points by far that we gave up was to the same team I mentioned earlier. I know stats dont matter but you know as well as I do that it matters to the kids!

When a score gets to the point where you put in your two's, passing on 1st or 2nd down is a no no unless your whole offense is a passing offense. No trick plays. No onsides kicks, etc. Once a team is up by 60, run the absolute basics and try to get off the field healthy. You have to look at the game and situation but I think the above are guidelines that almost all would agree with. The tough part is it is hard to be objective when you are getting your butt kicked in a game and emotions are high. I also say, if a team is getting trounced and their opponent puts in their two's, the team getting trounced should not keep their first team out there for more than one possession. Their number two's want to play also so put them out there.

For the first part I bolded may I ask why? I mean maybe the best way for the two's not to run up the score would be passing. I mean still some teams #2's are going to still just be able to run it down some teams throats still. So passing the ball and throwing hitches and outs, and stuff like that with your second string QB and second string WR's might be whats best for not running up the score in some situations? I just don't think people should completely rule out passing the ball in blowouts, because sometimes it would be better to do that.

Now for the second part I bolded. You are saying if a team is say up 48 to 0 at half and they play their 2nd team to start the second half. That the losing team should only keep their starters in for one possession in that second half and then come out? Why? I mean for one if someone's first team was so much better than my first team, then most likely their second team is a lot better than my second team. So things would continue to get worst. I would keep my first team in still till AT LEAST the fourth quarter and maybe till half way through the fourth quarter before I also put my second string in. I mean it would give you 1st team a chance to maybe build some confidence by putting together a scoring drive, and just a chance to work on some things.

It depends on the level of play in high school after its a 35 point lead there is no reason to put 70 up in my opinion.... in a pewee game of 3rd and 4th graders, when your up by 3 TD's then punt on first down to the other team so you can keep your starters in.... saw this last weekend.

Sometime it is pay back. Three years ago when my son played his team was down by 28 in the fourth quarter. With less than two minutes to go the other team put their starters back in, thru deep for another T.D. For the next couple years we, players and parents wanted our coach to run it up. But he didn't.

Sometime it is pay back. Three years ago when my son played his team was down by 28 in the fourth quarter. With less than two minutes to go the other team put their starters back in, thru deep for another T.D. For the next couple years we, players and parents wanted our coach to run it up. But he didn't.

I can certainly understand wanting to run up the score given that situation. That was a completely unsportsmanlike move on the part of the other coach. At the same time, I'd have to revert to coach Lynn Ray's axioms: "Win with class, lose with class."

Sometimes it stinks having to be the bigger person, you know? Kudos to your team for not running up the score on them, though.

For the first part I bolded may I ask why? I mean maybe the best way for the two's not to run up the score would be passing. I mean still some teams #2's are going to still just be able to run it down some teams throats still. So passing the ball and throwing hitches and outs, and stuff like that with your second string QB and second string WR's might be whats best for not running up the score in some situations? I just don't think people should completely rule out passing the ball in blowouts, because sometimes it would be better to do that.

Now for the second part I bolded. You are saying if a team is say up 48 to 0 at half and they play their 2nd team to start the second half. That the losing team should only keep their starters in for one possession in that second half and then come out? Why? I mean for one if someone's first team was so much better than my first team, then most likely their second team is a lot better than my second team. So things would continue to get worst. I would keep my first team in still till AT LEAST the fourth quarter and maybe till half way through the fourth quarter before I also put my second string in. I mean it would give you 1st team a chance to maybe build some confidence by putting together a scoring drive, and just a chance to work on some things.

I think those are both good points you make. You have to look at what is happening within the game with the matchups etc.

For paragraph one, if it is a running clock, it isn't as big a deal. If it is not a running clock, incomplete passes stop the clock and prolong the game. Usually the team behind is not good at defending the pass. So the problem with passing the ball is you get your receiver one on one in open space and even on a short pass the receiver goes for a long TD after the catch. Or the QB scrambles, the receiver turns deep and the QB hits him 30 yards downfield. That doesn't look good. I think most people are going to agree that passing the ball just has the look of rubbing it in.

Paragraph two, again you have to go with what is happening. If the losing team's starters are still struggling moving the ball against the winning team's backups, then it isn't as big a deal for the starters to stay out there. But if the losing team's starters are moving the ball easily and scoring against the backups, leaving them out there to score 2 or 3 TD's is not cool and almost as bad as the winning team rubbing it in. Plus, as I said, the backups on the losing team deserve to get on the field too. Last year in the playoffs I saw a team losing big late in the game who never let their backups play. Wouldn't it have been nice for those guys who worked their tails off all year to get into a playoff game?

I think those are both good points you make. You have to look at what is happening within the game with the matchups etc.

For paragraph one, if it is a running clock, it isn't as big a deal. If it is not a running clock, incomplete passes stop the clock and prolong the game. Usually the team behind is not good at defending the pass. So the problem with passing the ball is you get your receiver one on one in open space and even on a short pass the receiver goes for a long TD after the catch. Or the QB scrambles, the receiver turns deep and the QB hits him 30 yards downfield. That doesn't look good. I think most people are going to agree that passing the ball just has the look of rubbing it in.

Paragraph two, again you have to go with what is happening. If the losing team's starters are still struggling moving the ball against the winning team's backups, then it isn't as big a deal for the starters to stay out there. But if the losing team's starters are moving the ball easily and scoring against the backups, leaving them out there to score 2 or 3 TD's is not cool and almost as bad as the winning team rubbing it in. Plus, as I said, the backups on the losing team deserve to get on the field too. Last year in the playoffs I saw a team losing big late in the game who never let their backups play. Wouldn't it have been nice for those guys who worked their tails off all year to get into a playoff game?

Well wouldn't it be running clock in the second half with a team up 48 to 0 like I said? If not when does the running clock start? So yeah obviously if its not running clock, then the team needs to be running the ball. Also why is it usually the team behind is not good at defending the pass like you said? It seems to me especially at the high school level. When a team is blowing someone out, its usually cause of that team running all over on them, not passing all over on them. Its cause of the other team just being bigger and stronger and able to push them around. I mean in college and pro's yes defending the pass is probably harder. However in high school when a team has its backup QB in and backup WR's in, then defending the pass wouldn't be as hard. I mean the the backup QB has to make a good pass, the backup WR has to run the right route and still catch the ball. Not to mention the backup lineman have to give the QB time. There is a lot more that has to go right for the offense then, than just handing it off. Yeah now if that team is throwing bombs down field then that is not right. I just think to many people think well if they pass then they are running up the score. I mean if you seriously think about it, in some cases it really would be better for teams to try passing when its a running clock. It could be a better way at not running up the score.

Also why is it bad if the losing teams first string scores a couple of times. I mean usually in big blow outs like that, it is because the losing team is just not that good. So that could give them confidence, or even be some kind of bright spot that the players could look back on. Obviously if that losing team does score a couple of touchdowns, then the other teams starters would be back in after that. I do agree though that the losing teams backups should get to play some. However you said if the other team has its backups in, then the losing team should put theirs into after one possession. I just don't agree with that. I mean as I said if a team puts its second string in to start the second half, you want the losing team to also play its backups for the rest of the second half after the first possession? I mean the starters for the losing team should still play to AT LEAST the fourth quarter and maybe until the middle of the fourth quarter. After that those backups can get in the game, and get to experience a little bit of varsity football or a playoff game like you said.

In a blowout the winning team should play thieir substitutes but I think they should allow those 2nd teamers to run their normal style offense. That's the only way that they are going to get experience. You wouldn't necessarily run on 1st and 2nd downs, but I think you should try to convert 3rd and downs and score when possible. Those kids have worked hard and deserve to be able to play the game.

I obviously don't think you should run any fake punts or FG's, but I say let those younger kids actually do what they have been practicing.

If you're getting beat, take your starters out when the other team does. The opposing coach is nice enough to go easy on you, so you should be grateful for his generosity.