Vince Young Quote

^ Because other than Doug Williams it has never been done. It is a common assumption throughout the NFL that although a quote on quote black QB may be flashy, and may pose an offensive threat, they will not get you to or win you a Super Bowl. Ever so often a Cunningham or a Vick will come along and it looks like finally someone will put that horrible assumption to sleep. However, it just hasn't happened. I feel Vince is just speaking from a standpoint that he is going to prove the world, that A.) not only can "he" still play. But B.) african american quarterbacks can be franchise pro quarterbacks, and can win you that big game.

VY has never failed in his life. He has had to come from much hardship and turmoil to get to where he is at now. His mom was an admitted crack phene his entire childhood, and Vince grew up very poor. The only thing that saved him was being gifted on the grid iron. After dominating from pee wee, to middle school, to high school, through college, this has been very tough on Vince because he has never not excelled on the football field.

I think Steve McNair said it best when asked about being a black QB going up against a white QB in the Superbowl, (or something to that effect) he said he don't even look at it like that, he's just a QB going up against another QB trying to win the biggest game of their lives. I wish everyone had his frame of mind.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did he have to bring the race card in there and say the next black QB to win the SuperBowl. What difference does that make? Why couldn't he have said I'm going to win the SuperBowl one day or whatever? I'll never understand that.

Why? I'll tell you why. It's because people automatically make the assumption that black QB's are fast and can't throw, and are more athlete than QB. They do, look at the knocks you have on Young, Vick, Tavaris Jackson, Pat White, etc. McNabb is the exception, but most would still classify him as more of a scrambler than a passer even though he has been a very polished passer statistically during his NFL years. Plus everyone remembers what Limbaugh said.

It's a disgusting truth. But look at the prospects coming into the NFL. Most fast college QB's are labeled "projects" or are moved to another position like Randle El or Pat White. Most of these players are African American, though player like Eric Crouch also fit in here.

Why did he bring it in? Because it is a big deal. The media makes it a big deal. It's wrong, but it's the way the NFL, ESPN, esc. have made it. I hate to keep bringing in Robert Griffin, but it's why many feel that even though he has proven to be a good passer, some feel he can be nothing more than a WR. It's just an assumption or label that gets subconciously put on.

Why? I'll tell you why. It's because people automatically make the assumption that black QB's are fast and can't throw, and are more athlete than QB. They do, look at the knocks you have on Young, Vick, Tavaris Jackson, Pat White, etc. McNabb is the exception, but most would still classify him as more of a scrambler than a passer even though he has been a very polished passer statistically during his NFL years. Plus everyone remembers what Limbaugh said.

It's a disgusting truth. But look at the prospects coming into the NFL. Most fast college QB's are labeled "projects" or are moved to another position like Randle El or Pat White. Most of these players are African American, though player like Eric Crouch also fit in here.

Why did he bring it in? Because it is a big deal. The media makes it a big deal. It's wrong, but it's the way the NFL, ESPN, esc. have made it. I hate to keep bringing in Robert Griffin, but it's why many feel that even though he has proven to be a good passer, some feel he can be nothing more than a WR. It's just an assumption or label that gets subconciously put on.

There's only one other AA QB that's won a Super Bowl so he wants to be the next, nothing wrong with that.

Would we ask why race was brought into it if Owen Schmitt said he wanted to be the next white running back to win a Super Bowl.

V Young better passer or runner? Pat White better runner or passer? Randel El better runner or passer? Crouch better runner or passer. I'm sorry I don't buy into the race card. Every one of those guys are better runners than they are passers IMO.

V Young better passer or runner? Pat White better runner or passer? Randel El better runner or passer? Crouch better runner or passer. I'm sorry I don't buy into the race card. Every one of those guys are better runners than they are passers IMO.

I'm not arguing that they aren't. It just seems that many times black QB's are labeled as Dual-Threat, which is a nice way of saying he's only a runner IMO. For instance, at the U, many media have label Jacory Harris as a dual-threat QB. He has nice but not great speed, but he is a pocket passer and I don't know if he could make a living as only a scrambler or as an option style QB.

And it's not that these players aren't better runners than passers. But, Colt McCoy for example is a very good runner, but most think of him as a great passer, which he is. I think it's a double standard. If your running skills make you stand out, then you have to be a below average passer because common knowledge tells us that QB's are suppose to be tall, slow, and have a gun for an arm. Like I said before it's not just black players, look at Tebow. No one should mistake him for Peyton Manning, but I think that he is a good enough passer that with the other intangibles he brings he can be a productive PRO QB. Is he going to run Q Powers all game against Shawn Merriman? No, but I think he is a good player that after he adapts to the pros can be a good NFL player.

But common thinking tells us that you cannot be a good runner and passer at the pro level. They say Randall Cunningham didn't become a good passer until he was too old to run around. Or could it be that he didn't have to pass as much because he could beat you mulitple ways? I don't know, but I think it's possible.

Also, I think you have to keep in mind that people play different kinds of coverage against really athletic QB's than they do against a pocket QB. If you played the same coverage and strategy against Vick that you do against Drew Brees you would give a few big plays and probably wouldn't be as productive defensively. The same goes Vice-Versa. Just something to think about that might make a difference.

I'm not sure I totally get what you are saying through this whole thread other than people are labled. I think there is so much media and info that every position gets labeled no matter the race. Usually the label is right.

I look at players on an individual basis myself. I can understand the label on a Tebow. He hasn't had to sit back in a Pro system and pick people apart. If he was taken as a #1 QB then franchises would sink MILLIONS into him so they aren't excited about him running the single wing QB Power.

Pat White is an amazing runner. He also like Vick has a nice arm. His offense didn't groom him for the NFL though. Same thing with a guy like Harrell at Texas Tech. It's hard to gage what he would do in the NFL because Tech takes line splits you can't take in the NFL and he doesn't have to see a ton of different coverages because they spread the field.

I think the best example out there of how complex the NFL coverages get is too look at Dauntae Cullpepp. When he had Moss you knew Moss would be doubled which limits the coverages he had to read. Once Moss was gone he turned to pot. Eli Losing Plax is a smaller example of that last year.

So what is the issue people have with Vince Young's comments? The fact that he said was going to be the next black qb to win a Super Bowl isn't that big of a deal to me. Would it be a big deal if Sanchez said he would be the first Latino Quarterback to win a Super Bowl?

If someone could enlighten me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So what is the issue people have with Vince Young's comments? The fact that he said was going to be the next black qb to win a Super Bowl isn't that big of a deal to me. Would it be a big deal if Sanchez said he would be the first Latino Quarterback to win a Super Bowl?

The black issue doesn't matter to me. The obvious head scratcher is the HOF comment.

Actually, Jim Plunkett was the first Latino QB to win a SB.

There's only one other AA QB that's won a Super Bowl so he wants to be the next, nothing wrong with that.

Would we ask why race was brought into it if Owen Schmitt said he wanted to be the next white running back to win a Super Bowl.

I still don't see why everyone's gotta be black this or white this, why can't we just drop all that and just say QB, instead of using all the labels.