Mature Young Adult Opinions Needed...

2Short

After much deliberation, I am allowing my 17 yo daughter to attend a Dave Mathews Band concert and camp at Deer Creek in Indy with a group of friends whom I know well and trust. Curious if anyone has been there and thinks I'm a complete idiot? The group as a whole is fairly mature, good students/kids, etc, no 'troubled teens' to date, and my kid is really a pretty mature, smart kid so far...but....I'll let you all 'let me have it'.... :idunno:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to a DMB concert at Riverbend. It sounds like your judgment of the kids and your daughter isn't who you need to worry about. It may be the other kids/adults that will be around your daughter and her friends. What goes on there is the same that goes on at most concerts. Drinking and drugs sad to say. The camping/tailgating I am sure will at some point get out of control. If you trust your daughter and her friends then they should be fine. It will be a good time I can say that. She is lucky she has your trust. And you are lucky she is a good girl with good friends.

I've been to see DMB at Deer Creek back when I was in college. Really it's your call because you know her best. I've got a 5 year old little girl and dread these situations. I've taught school for 7 years before I took my new job and I can tell you at some point you have to put some trust in them. Some of the wildest kids in college were ones that were never exposed to anything. Is the concert a big party... yeh. Were there people there drunk and drugged up.. yeh. Were there people there sober.. a few lol. Just trying to be totally honest with you. If you trust her and she is with a crowd you trust then at some point you have to put some faith in her. Are they camping there or staying somewhere? Honestly I think it all comes down to your gut. There are reasons to say yes and reasons to say no. In the end you have to put it in Gods hands IMO then go with your gut.

Going to the concert sounds fun, but staying the night is where you get in trouble. When I was a teenager everything I ever did my parents would have been ticked about was when I was staying the night with someone. When I was allowed to go somewhere for the day I never did anything that they would have punished me for. However, they thought all of my friends were good kids and they all seemed to be to parents, but we still managed to do plenty that would have left my parents highly upset. For the record though despite these troubles I still made it to law school and doing pretty well a few years removed from high school.

Also check all their bags and the vehicle before they leave town, they might get ticked about it but it's for their own good. Check pillows too many people got alcohol on our senior trip cutting pillows open with a knife putting alcohol in the pillow then pillow back in the pillow case.

I've been to see DMB at Deer Creek back when I was in college. Really it's your call because you know her best. I've got a 5 year old little girl and dread these situations. I've taught school for 7 years before I took my new job and I can tell you at some point you have to put some trust in them. Some of the wildest kids in college were ones that were never exposed to anything. Is the concert a big party... yeh. Were there people there drunk and drugged up.. yeh. Were there people there sober.. a few lol. Just trying to be totally honest with you. If you trust her and she is with a crowd you trust then at some point you have to put some faith in her. Are they camping there or staying somewhere? Honestly I think it all comes down to your gut. There are reasons to say yes and reasons to say no. In the end you have to put it in Gods hands IMO then go with your gut.

Camping...and it is a leap of faith, somewhat calculated, but a leap none the less. Obviously, my gut tells me she is adequately prepared to handle it as I have no problem telling my kids 'no', and I said 'yes'. I checked out what i could about the venue, read past police reports from past concerts, talked to the other parents...etc. She, and the others, are not sheltered type kids...they have shown me an ability to handle situations in the past. I am (was) a semi avid concert goer, so I'm not blind to the reality of them. I'm not familiar with this venue and was curious of others' experiences....and simply surfing and thought I'd see if I got a "NO WAY YOU'RE CRAZY :scared: out of any of my fellow BGP-ERS. Add this group to your prayer list this weekend for a little extra guardian with them...thanks for your input!

Kids that are raised right will push the envelope a little every now and then and do things that their parents may not completely approve of. Good kids no when to say no and when that envelope is pushing the limit. I would say its not a bad decision she's almost an adult anyway let her spread her wings a little bit and have a good time. If she's 17 and hasn't caused you any trouble I'd say in this day and age you're in the clear.

Also check all their bags and the vehicle before they leave town, they might get ticked about it but it's for their own good. Check pillows too many people got alcohol on our senior trip cutting pillows open with a knife putting alcohol in the pillow then pillow back in the pillow case.

Good call....I'm on it. They'll expect it from me, however...dad's never to shy to pry!

We camped there when we went. It's good and bad. Bad because it's a big party but at least she is with a lot of people. Good because there were tons of drunks driving out of there. We'll say a prayer for them. It's a tough call because you have to give them some freedom but I understand your worries. One really good thing is from my experience DMB concert goers are pretty laid back have a good time. It's not like some concerts like a Metallica or ACDC where people were crazy.

On a side note I saw Pearl Jam at that same venue. It is an AWESOME place to see a show and DMB was one of my all time favorites. We went back and chilled around a camp fire after the show.

The main thing to worry about at a Dave concert is the amount of "weed" that is smoked, and all things considered, that's really not that worrisome IMO.

I would be most concerned about the amount of stale, unoriginal and mostly bad music they would be subjected to.