Richard Jefferson Traded to Spurs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have plenty of players whom they could trade & quickly get back into the FA market, if next season falls through early enough...

I would not put money against the Spurs next year. Tim Duncan is Tim Duncan, Parker is a top 5 point guard in the league, Ginobili is an all-star 6th man, Jefferson has been an all star before and is a very good scorer. They are gonna be tough to beat next year, watch out Lakers.

They have plenty of players whom they could trade & quickly get back into the FA market, if next season falls through early enough...

I doubt next season will "fall through". They were pretty good this year without Jefferson.

Why would they leave?

Timmy has a few years left in him. Popp and Tony have no reason to leave do they?

I hope you are right. TD has had a 12 (?) year career (add on 2 more if you count the 150 playoff games) and his knees are starting to show it. Pop said that he is retiring "two seconds" after Duncan (as well as many long time Spurs employees), and Parker jokingly asked Duncan to warn him before he leaves so that he (Tony) could clear out his locker.

If by "slow down" you mean foul & cheap shot, then you're probably right.

I love how the Spurs employ a physical style of basketball and it is labelled as "cheap". They do what their personnel allows them too, and it is worked as well as any team besides the Lakers for the last ten years.

Like?

How much are you talking about freeing up for the big FAs?

This trade certainly doesn't make them better than the Lakers. Anything short of a championship is a bust for SA right?

I'm not going to say that this trade makes them better than the Lakers, but it puts them in a better position to beat them.

I'm not going to say that this trade makes them better than the Lakers, but it puts them in a better position to beat them.

I think it gives them the firepower to beat them. They have the ingredients.

-quick PG.

-wings that Kobe will be forced to defend meaning that he will have to conserve more on the offensive end.

-a great big man that can score, rebound, and defend.

If they can improve their depth, I think they have a chance.

True, but I think some people are overrating Jefferson.

The biggest thing for the Spurs is staying healthy.

As 5Wide said in the other trade- if TD gets hurt, with or without this trade, it's all over for the Spurs. Assuming that everyone is healty-

PG- Parker/Fisher. Big advantage Spurs.

SG- Kobe/Ginobli. Big advantage Lakers.

SF- Ariza/Jefferson. I'd give the nod to the Spurs. I know Ariza is the flavor of the week, and Jefferson is old, but as a 4th option, I like him. Also, he is an unselfish player like the other Spurs. I also think Ariza is overrated. I'm also obnoxiously biased.

PF- Duncan/Gasol. Big advantage Spurs. This is assuming that TD is healthy, which is a big assumption.

As for the center position and Bench, the Lakers have an advantage that can't really be described by words.

Overall, I think Jefferson's addition to the team will outweigh Oberto, Thomas, and Bowen. None of those guys gave the Spurs any type of advantage over LA, at least not in the last 4 years.

True, but I think some people are overrating Jefferson.

The biggest thing for the Spurs is staying healthy.

He has averaged over 15ppg every year since his 2nd year in the NBA (02-03). He's no Lebron James, but he's a great 3rd or 4th scorer and he fits the Spurs perfectly IMO.

Also I keep forgetting the Spurs have Roger Mason Jr. too, who keeps getting better IMO. I think he will be a pretty good 6th man for the Spurs next year (assuming they don't trade him).