A paramedic could face charges after a scuffle with a state trooper.

Rebel

Just kidding Ru, I'm sure amongst the BGP faithful you are loved by all. Without you and a couple others, this place would never have been possible, so I'm sure Deuce has lots of love for you.

BTW, don't feel bad. My father as well as step father are troopers. One here in KY, my father in Virginia, and believe me, I have heard a lot of talk from my friends, among others saying oh I dislike the police or such and such. However, when it boils down to it and people actually meet or know some of the same officers they judge, soon they realize they are some of the finest people you will meet.

I agree, my brother is a deputy sheriff in West Palm beach FL. and he is an alright guy. Except when he was like 15 and he stole my candy bar and ate it!

That seems to be the case with most cops...if they're trying to find something wrong, they seem to get really frustrated when they can't.

I haven't had a ton of police encounters, but from my experience...

I can't think of a single encounter with a KY State Policeman that I have a complaint with. I've come across a few really friendly ones, and the ones that weren't overly friendly have always been professional.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing for the Vehicle Enforcement guys and various local law enforcement.

I got pulled over once around the Clay City exit on the Mountain Parkway for being too close to the car in front of me. I was in the fast lane and the guy cut in front of me...I had no intention of "riding his bumper", but apparently that's all the cop saw. He was a jerk, but I didn't get a ticket.

I got pulled over once in Hazard and the cop seemed convinced that I was drunk or had been drinking (neither were true). Apparently, there had been a hit-and-run in a black truck at a gas station, and I drove a black truck. He walked around inspecting my truck for scratch marks/smeared paint I suppose...I hadn't even been to the gas station in question. Then, I had to perform a few field sobriety tests which I passed easily. And, finally, tried to get me to "confess" by threatening me with a breathalizer for about 5 minutes. I told him to go ahead and give me the breathalizer. I was ready to get out of there. Turns out, he didn't even have a mouth piece to administer it with. He let me go with this classic quote, "Since I can't give you the breathalizer, I'm going to have to let you go."

And, finally, went through a checkpoint of several Vehicle Enforcement and one State Police recently. The problem was, I forgot my wallet at home that morning and didn't have my driver's license. I had to go to a mining site in Bell County and then to Barbourville for work and on the way back I missed my turn off to get back on HWY 80/Hal Rogers Parkway....I was driving a work vehicle. They got my information and made me pull over, which was OK with me. Then they hovered around me and acted really suspicious and started asking me questions about whether I had any drugs, or pills, or guns in the vehicle. I was like, "To my knowledge there isn't, but this is a company vehicle and I rarely drive any of them." I think they wanted me to offer to let them search it or something, but no way I was going to...I'm almost certain nothing would have been in there, but I don't drive the vehicle and you never know. They finally let me go with a citation for no driver's license. I didn't mind the citation, or having to pull over while they checked my information, but I didn't like the way they treated me. That's pretty much been my experience with the majority of DOT guys I've met. Ironically, the State Police came over briefly and spoke to me...he was friendly. Go figure. :D

I have never been treated unprofessionaly by a state trooper or even county for that matter. I have had some unpleasant experiences with dots and very small town officers on occasion.

I was a victim of hit and run in a small town and chased the culprits down. They were drunk and kept threatening to get a hunting knife out of the glove box. When the local police finally arrived they asked me what I was planning to do with the aluminum bat. When I tried to answer after laying the bat down, they pulled out their clubs and shoved me into the car saying shutup you speak when spoken to. Fortunately, a state trooper pulled in at that moment and they went back to their cars. He asked what was going on, listened to the reply and thanked us for catching these guys.

We often paint a broad brush for a few bad apples or for some that are not trained properly to do a very dangerous job.

I have never been treated unprofessionaly by a state trooper or even county for that matter. I have had some unpleasant experiences with dots and very small town officers on occasion.

I was a victim of hit and run in a small town and chased the culprits down. They were drunk and kept threatening to get a hunting knife out of the glove box. When the local police finally arrived they asked me what I was planning to do with the aluminum bat. When I tried to answer after laying the bat down, they pulled out their clubs and shoved me into the car saying shutup you speak when spoken to. Fortunately, a state trooper pulled in at that moment and they went back to their cars. He asked what was going on, listened to the reply and thanked us for catching these guys.

We often paint a broad brush for a few bad apples or for some that are not trained properly to do a very dangerous job.

I should clarify, all my experiences with local police (county/city) haven't been bad. Most of them have been fine. In fact, the two I mentioned in this thread are the only two I can think of. Well, that and one local town I'm aware of where a minimum of every officer on duty will swarm a routine traffic stop like a swat team. But, that's just funny to me. :lol:

All the state police and the majority of local police have never given me any reason to complain. I have nothing but respect for them.

While I don't have regular run-ins with law enforcement, I have encountered them enough in various circumstances to where I think they're like most any other group of people. Most of them are good, decent people with some jerks in the mix. And, you're right, they do a dangerous job, which requires them to interact differently (more cautious, less friendly) in many situations. I think people have to understand that. I'm not looking to be treated like a long lost pal, just fair and with respect. That's all.

I don't have anything good to say about DOT's at this point in my life though. Sorry...I don't particularly care for them. Maybe I've just met bad ones and have a skewed perception.

Uh oh :popcorn:

Do you think Deuce hates me?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.:sssh:

Naw, you're the 5%! :thumb::lol:

I like Guru just fine. I've met him personally on a few different occasions, and he is a fine gentleman. :thumb:

Irrational.

Not hardly... Until you know the experiences I've had with police officers, your "irrational" comment is purely opinion.

I have had bad experience with 3 KSP, all over women. All were about as bad as you can get, one here in Pike County in front of my house, the other 2 in Morehead.

The one in here, the guy ended up in trouble and got transferred out.

The first one in Moreahead just took a meeting at the Post, the last one in Morehead took me a lot of time and aggravation to get sorted out, and his Captain finally told him to fight me if he wanted but to stop hiding behind the uni...............

Luckily I am friends with more than a few, and my dad is good friends with more than that

I should clarify, all my experiences with local police (county/city) haven't been bad. Most of them have been fine. In fact, the two I mentioned in this thread are the only two I can think of. Well, that and one local town I'm aware of where a minimum of every officer on duty will swarm a routine traffic stop like a swat team. But, that's just funny to me. :lol:

All the state police and the majority of local police have never given me any reason to complain. I have nothing but respect for them.

While I don't have regular run-ins with law enforcement, I have encountered them enough in various circumstances to where I think they're like most any other group of people. Most of them are good, decent people with some jerks in the mix. And, you're right, they do a dangerous job, which requires them to interact differently (more cautious, less friendly) in many situations. I think people have to understand that. I'm not looking to be treated like a long lost pal, just fair and with respect. That's all.

I don't have anything good to say about DOT's at this point in my life though. Sorry...I don't particularly care for them. Maybe I've just met bad ones and have a skewed perception.

I didnt make myself clear on the latter part of my post. I chose to quote your post because I agreed with it entirely. The latter part was aimed at all including myself from time to time.

As a Paramedic, I can tell you several things. First, if I am transporting a patient to the hospital, I would never had stopped, for a police officer or not, he could have followed me to the hospital and spoke to me if he had a problem. Second, if he had assaulted me in that manner, I would would have went to jail, plain and simple. Not all physical restraint by a police officer is lawful.

Thirdly, in Kentucky, there is no law that states how a an emergency vehicle should yield to another emergency vehicle. There is a law that states a non-emergency vehicle has to yield to an emergency vehicle, but in my area, it is seldomly enforced.

Lastly, I hope the officer in question looses his job. I seldom wish that on anyone, but it is clear this man should not be in law enforcement, it's not for everyone.

Edited by Ram

As a Paramedic, I can tell you several things. First, if I am transporting a patient to the hospital, I would never had stopped, for a police officer or not, he could have followed me to the hospital and spoke to me if he had a problem. Second, if he had assaulted me in that manner, I would would have went to jail, plain and simple. Not all physical restraint by a police officer is lawful.

Thirdly, in Kentucky, there is no law that states how a an emergency vehicle should yield to another emergency vehicle. There is a law that states a non-emergency vehicle has to yield to an emergency vehicle, but in my area, it is seldomly enforced.

Lastly, I hope the officer in question looses his job. I seldom wish that on anyone, but it is clear this man should not be in law enforcement, it's not for everyone.

Good post Ram, very well said imo.:thumb:

I can only add that I believe that most police are good guys, although not a policeman I have worked jobs where I at times worked closely with them and have never witnessed anyting to even come close to this. I try to remember that police often have to hear a lot of "crap" from people (as do paramedics), that goes along with the job and they handle it well. I have to say that I have seen some that handled some stuff from people better than I woud have. This idiot that calls himself a policeman was obviously out of line, not an example of a professional and should be out of that line of work. I don't see any possible defense for him. At best he should have followed to the hospital and settled things there.

I agree with you as well Ram in that I wouldn't had pulled over for him in the first place had I been transporting a patient. I am glad that you posted that and made that point seeing how you are a paramedic.