You Make the Call

Nothing else to do with all the rain. Surprised we haven't had any of these threads yet anyways.

1) Batters hit a HR. Midway between 2B and 3B, he hears his 1B coach screaming at him that he missed 1B, so he retouches 2B, goes back to tag 1B, and then continues around the bases. Legal or not? Where should the runner be placed?

2) Batter walks and heads to 1B. Catcher tosses ball back to pitcher, who walks around the mound for a moment to regain his composure. Meanwhile, batter-runner reaches 1B and walks off the base a step or two to tie a shoelace. P fires to 1Bman, who tags the runner. Call?

3) Bases loaded, two outs. Batter hits gapper to RF, R3 and R2 score easily. R1 overruns 3B and is tagged out in a rundown. BR has advanced to 2B, but missed 1B. 1Bman sees this, calls for the ball, and appeals to umpire. Umpire agrees and calls BR out for missing base. Which runs counts (if any)?

4) Batter hits shot to gap. As he's rounding 2B, he collides with field umpire inexplicably standing in base line, falls down and is tagged out. The batter would have easily reached 3B. What is the call?

5) It has rained Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and your high school team's games were rained out. They haven't played in a week and are dying to get on the field. The weatherman says Thursday and Friday will be absolutely beautiful. What are the chances it'll rain yet some more? :irked: :irked: :irked:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) Batter hits shot to gap. As he's rounding 2B, he collides with field umpire inexplicably standing in base line, falls down and is tagged out. The batter would have easily reached 3B. What is the call?

I'd say the umpire is part of the field therefore he would be called out...?

I'm just guessing here.

1. Not legal. Batter is out.

2. If the runner is in fair territory he is out. In foul territory he is safe.

3. No runs count. Force play at first.

4. Umpire is field of play therefore runner is out.

5. Very good.

Of the four serious questions (#5 excluded obviously), you have two right, one wrong, and one partially correct.

Nothing else to do with all the rain. Surprised we haven't had any of these threads yet anyways.

1) Batters hit a HR. Midway between 2B and 3B, he hears his 1B coach screaming at him that he missed 1B, so he retouches 2B, goes back to tag 1B, and then continues around the bases. Legal or not? Where should the runner be placed?

2) Batter walks and heads to 1B. Catcher tosses ball back to pitcher, who walks around the mound for a moment to regain his composure. Meanwhile, batter-runner reaches 1B and walks off the base a step or two to tie a shoelace. P fires to 1Bman, who tags the runner. Call?

3) Bases loaded, two outs. Batter hits gapper to RF, R3 and R2 score easily. R1 overruns 3B and is tagged out in a rundown. BR has advanced to 2B, but missed 1B. 1Bman sees this, calls for the ball, and appeals to umpire. Umpire agrees and calls BR out for missing base. Which runs counts (if any)?

5) It has rained Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and your high school team's games were rained out. They haven't played in a week and are dying to get on the field. The weatherman says Thursday and Friday will be absolutely beautiful. What are the chances it'll rain yet some more? :irked: :irked: :irked:

1. Homerun

2. Depends on in fair or foul territory makes him out or safe...

3. No runs..Force out

4. runner is out.

5. 50/50

I have another one....Bases loaded 1 out. Batter hits shot to centerfield, all runners run as they think its going to fence however cf leaps makes catch..3rd goes back to tag, 2nd goes back to tag, 1st does not touches 2nd and passes runner as he is tagging....Cf making play at 3rd base and throws runner out. Runner on 3rd scored before out was made at 3rd. Actually ump counted run, because not force out. but that was wrong ruling as the third out was runner on1st passing runner on 2nd. Ended up being the decisive run in game. What was funny was after runner on first touched 2nd he did not retouch 2nd as he came back to first. So, technically he was out twice.....

1. Homerun

2. Depends on in fair or foul territory makes him out or safe...

3. No runs..Force out

4. runner is out.

5. 50/50

Of the first four questions, you have two wrong, one right, and one right but the explanation is not completely accurate.

1. My instinct says legal, HR, but I'll be interested to read the ruling on this one.

2. Runner is safe unless it was judged he made an attempt towards second base.

3. No runs count

4. Umpire Obstruction? Place the runner on 3B? All I know is that the field umpire is going to hear it from somebody.....

1. Legal Home Run

2. So long as time is not out, the runner is out. The walk get him to first base, from there he operates at his own jeporady.

3. No runs score. Batter must successfully reach first base

4. He is out.

5. I feel like we are at Camp Granada.

1. Legal Home Run

2. So long as time is not out, the runner is out. The walk get him to first base, from there he operates at his own jeporady.

3. No runs score. Batter must successfully reach first base

4. He is out.

5. I feel like we are at Camp Granada.

I agree with these...

Hey Coop...you have some good ones on here.

(1) Home run

(2) Out...a walk is considered as a base award and the batter-runner is only protected to first base.

(3) No runs score if batter-runner misses first base (force out). If any other runners miss the first base that they are forced to advance, no runs score. This is the so-called "fourth" out appeal.

(4) Runner is out (and then umpire has to eject coach for coming out to question the umpire's intelligence :D)

(5) It rains "somewhere" all of the time. I'd say at least 50-50. :D

1. batter is out

2. once he touches the bag and comes off in any direction, fair, foul, whatever, he can be tagged out

3. no runs count because it was a force out at first

4. he gets 3rd base

Two wrong, one right, one right but reasoning is not correct.

1. My instinct says legal, HR, but I'll be interested to read the ruling on this one.

2. Runner is safe unless it was judged he made an attempt towards second base.

3. No runs count

4. Umpire Obstruction? Place the runner on 3B? All I know is that the field umpire is going to hear it from somebody.....

Going against you always worries me a bit :thumb:, but . . . .

3 wrong, one right.