Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

You Make the Call

Featured Replies

  • Author
1. Legal Home Run

2. So long as time is not out, the runner is out. The walk get him to first base, from there he operates at his own jeporady.

3. No runs score. Batter must successfully reach first base

4. He is out.

5. I feel like we are at Camp Granada.

 

Not counting #5, 3 right (including one that no one previously has gotten correct) and one wrong.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Hey Coop...you have some good ones on here.

 

(1) Home run

(2) Out...a walk is considered as a base award and the batter-runner is only protected to first base.

(3) No runs score if batter-runner misses first base (force out). If any other runners miss the first base that they are forced to advance, no runs score. This is the so-called "fourth" out appeal.

(4) Runner is out (and then umpire has to eject coach for coming out to question the umpire's intelligence :D)

(5) It rains "somewhere" all of the time. I'd say at least 50-50. :D

 

And going against you REALLY worries me, but . . . .

 

2 right and one wrong,

 

Plus #3 is correct but (and correct me if you feel this is wrong) I don't believe it's really considered a "force out". It's simply an out on "appeal". Small difference - the end result is the runner didn't legalize earn first base, so no runs can score. Your thoughts on that?

And going against you REALLY worries me, but . . . .

 

2 right and one wrong,

 

Plus #3 is correct but (and correct me if you feel this is wrong) I don't believe it's really considered a "force out". It's simply an out on "appeal". Small difference - the end result is the runner didn't legalize earn first base, so no runs can score. Your thoughts on that?

Already arguing with the umpires, you all really need a game don't you?:lol:

  • Author
Already arguing with the umpires, you all really need a game don't you?:lol:

 

You have no earthly idea . . . .

 

Most brutal Spring weather-wise that I can remember in a long time. A day of sunshine is just not enough to dry up a field saturated with 3 days of rain, so sometimes you don't even play when the weather outside looks halfway decent. I am going to BEG our high school coach to go to Florida next Spring Break. I have half a mind to pay for it myself (the other half of my mind - and my wife - will prevent me from doing so, however). :lol:

Nothing else to do with all the rain. Surprised we haven't had any of these threads yet anyways.

 

1) Batters hit a HR. Midway between 2B and 3B, he hears his 1B coach screaming at him that he missed 1B, so he retouches 2B, goes back to tag 1B, and then continues around the bases. Legal or not? Where should the runner be placed?

 

2) Batter walks and heads to 1B. Catcher tosses ball back to pitcher, who walks around the mound for a moment to regain his composure. Meanwhile, batter-runner reaches 1B and walks off the base a step or two to tie a shoelace. P fires to 1Bman, who tags the runner. Call?

 

3) Bases loaded, two outs. Batter hits gapper to RF, R3 and R2 score easily. R1 overruns 3B and is tagged out in a rundown. BR has advanced to 2B, but missed 1B. 1Bman sees this, calls for the ball, and appeals to umpire. Umpire agrees and calls BR out for missing base. Which runs counts (if any)?

 

4) Batter hits shot to gap. As he's rounding 2B, he collides with field umpire inexplicably standing in base line, falls down and is tagged out. The batter would have easily reached 3B. What is the call?

 

5) It has rained Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and your high school team's games were rained out. They haven't played in a week and are dying to get on the field. The weatherman says Thursday and Friday will be absolutely beautiful. What are the chances it'll rain yet some more? :irked: :irked: :irked:

 

1. Out. Dead ball since it was a HR. During a dead ball he cannot go back to touch a bag if he has already touched the following bag.

 

2. Runner is out.

 

3. No runs score.

 

4. Not sure on this one. I'll guess its a "too bad" scenario.

  • Author
1. Out. Dead ball since it was a HR. During a dead ball he cannot go back to touch a bag if he has already touched the following bag.

 

2. Runner is out.

 

3. No runs score.

 

4. Not sure on this one. I'll guess its a "too bad" scenario.

 

You are not this smart. :D I feel 100% certain you must have cheated.

 

Nonetheless, you are correct on all accounts. :thumb:

1. Im gonna say legal homerun just because i remember when Mark McGwire hit his 62nd homerun and missed first base and had to go back and tag it.

2. Runner is out

3. 2 runs score

4. Runner is out

You are not this smart. :D I feel 100% certain you must have cheated.

 

Nonetheless, you are correct on all accounts. :thumb:

 

No cheating. I get lucky. I did have to re-read your #1 a few times to get the intricacies.

 

I thought you were going to try to tell me I was wrong about the appeal due to how the appeal was made.

And going against you REALLY worries me, but . . . .

 

2 right and one wrong,

 

Plus #3 is correct but (and correct me if you feel this is wrong) I don't believe it's really considered a "force out". It's simply an out on "appeal". Small difference - the end result is the runner didn't legalize earn first base, so no runs can score. Your thoughts on that?

 

Coop,

I missed the first question (and Clyde got it right). You cannot go back to retouch a base on a dead ball after touching the base following the one that was missed. I just missed that one. Just goes to show you, we all need a "refresher" course. (which is why I love these quizzes). If the runner had not touched second, he could have gone back and touched first. And, as to your question on the "force out", I may have gotten a little loose with the language. Technically however, any action by the batter that "forces" him to run to first base (dropped third strike for instance), makes the play at first a "force" out. I'll dig a little more into the verbage on this matter and see what I can come up with. Nice trap on #1 :notworthy:, I usually get most of these quiz questions the first time. :clap:

Official scorecard shows the following 4 batters due up this inning:

Cano

Jeter

ARod

Teixeira

 

 

Cano grounds out.

Jeter grounds out.

Teixeira strikes out.

 

Yankees pitcher then gets opposition out.

 

Can Teixeira or ARod legally lead off the next inning?

And going against you REALLY worries me, but . . . .

 

2 right and one wrong,

 

Plus #3 is correct but (and correct me if you feel this is wrong) I don't believe it's really considered a "force out". It's simply an out on "appeal". Small difference - the end result is the runner didn't legalize earn first base, so no runs can score. Your thoughts on that?

 

Coop,

Nothing in the NFHS rule book on force play definition but I found the following on Wikipedia.

 

"In baseball, a force is a situation when a baserunner is compelled (or forced) to vacate his time-of-pitch base—and thus try to advance to the next base—because the batter became a runner. A runner at first base is always forced to attempt to advance to second base when the batter becomes a runner. Runners at second or third base are forced only when all bases preceding their time-of-pitch base are occupied by other baserunners and the batter becomes a runner.

 

A forced runner's force base is the next base beyond his time-of-pitch base. Any attempt by fielders to put a forced runner out is called a force play. A forced runner is out (called a force out) when a fielder with the ball touches the runner's force base before the runner reaches that base. A forced runner also may be tagged out in the usual fashion as well; such a tag is still considered a force play if the tag is made before the runner reaches his force base. Any play on the batter-runner before he reaches first base is the same as a force play, though the rules technically do not include this in the definition of a force play."

  • Author
Coop,

I missed the first question (and Clyde got it right). You cannot go back to retouch a base on a dead ball after touching the base following the one that was missed. I just missed that one. Just goes to show you, we all need a "refresher" course. (which is why I love these quizzes). If the runner had not touched second, he could have gone back and touched first. And, as to your question on the "force out", I may have gotten a little loose with the language. Technically however, any action by the batter that "forces" him to run to first base (dropped third strike for instance), makes the play at first a "force" out. I'll dig a little more into the verbage on this matter and see what I can come up with. Nice trap on #1 :notworthy:, I usually get most of these quiz questions the first time. :clap:

 

BTW, I did finally get my own copy of the NFHS rulebook and have - rather sadly, I suppose :D - spent quite a few nights reading it before I went to sleep. Definitely some differences between NFHS and MLB rules. Honestly, if you were doing both high schools games and AABC games (select ball up in this area played by MLB rules except for re-entry and courtesy runner) contemporaneously, I don't see how any ump could keep the rule differences straight in their mind from game to game. You'd have to be pretty darn good . . . .

Nothing else to do with all the rain. Surprised we haven't had any of these threads yet anyways.

 

1) Batters hit a HR. Midway between 2B and 3B, he hears his 1B coach screaming at him that he missed 1B, so he retouches 2B, goes back to tag 1B, and then continues around the bases. Legal or not? Where should the runner be placed?

 

 

Home run. As long as the runner retouches all bases in reverse order to touch the one he missed, he can then go back around the bases.

 

 

 

 

2) Batter walks and heads to 1B. Catcher tosses ball back to pitcher, who walks around the mound for a moment to regain his composure. Meanwhile, batter-runner reaches 1B and walks off the base a step or two to tie a shoelace. P fires to 1Bman, who tags the runner. Call?

 

 

 

Out, provided there was no time called to allow the runner to tie his laces. You get first base on a walk legally, but the ball is NOT dead. After you reach first, you are on your own.

 

 

 

3) Bases loaded, two outs. Batter hits gapper to RF, R3 and R2 score easily. R1 overruns 3B and is tagged out in a rundown. BR has advanced to 2B, but missed 1B. 1Bman sees this, calls for the ball, and appeals to umpire. Umpire agrees and calls BR out for missing base. Which runs counts (if any)?

 

 

 

None. The appeal at first base is the third out of the inning. If he never touched first, and is out on appeal, it is the same as being thrown out at first. A run cannot score if the third out is by someone not successfully making to to first base.

 

 

4) Batter hits shot to gap. As he's rounding 2B, he collides with field umpire inexplicably standing in base line, falls down and is tagged out. The batter would have easily reached 3B. What is the call?

 

 

Runner out. Umpire is considered a part of the field. Would be no different is the runner tripped over a base and was tagged out.

 

 

 

 

5) It has rained Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and your high school team's games were rained out. They haven't played in a week and are dying to get on the field. The weatherman says Thursday and Friday will be absolutely beautiful. What are the chances it'll rain yet some more?

:irked: :irked: :irked:

 

 

The probability increases in direct proportion to the probablity that your team would win on Thursday and Friday!

Official scorecard shows the following 4 batters due up this inning:

Cano

Jeter

ARod

Teixeira

 

 

Cano grounds out.

Jeter grounds out.

Teixeira strikes out.

 

Yankees pitcher then gets opposition out.

 

Can Teixeira or ARod legally lead off the next inning?

 

No...ARod can't lead off next inning. It would be Teixeira if batting out of order is appealed on Texeira (Proper batter ARod called out, Teixeira leads off). If not appealed, the lead off batter would be the batter that follows Teixeira.

BTW, I did finally get my own copy of the NFHS rulebook and have - rather sadly, I suppose :D - spent quite a few nights reading it before I went to sleep. Definitely some differences between NFHS and MLB rules. Honestly, if you were doing both high schools games and AABC games (select ball up in this area played by MLB rules except for re-entry and courtesy runner) contemporaneously, I don't see how any ump could keep the rule differences straight in their mind from game to game. You'd have to be pretty darn good . . . .

 

 

I agree on the challenges of keeping the books straight.

 

I know there are some differences in what is allowable re: balks. I'm pretty sure that in high school the pitcher with a runner on base cannot take signs with the pitching arm dangling or the "gorilla arm" while in OBR/MLB you can.

 

I think there are differences in the obstruction rules as well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.