2009 NKY Football - Early Thoughts

jbwill2

I like both teams but Dixie is always a slow starter early in season,I have never understood that but as the season goes they get better.With Campbell County they always have a lot of size and the numbers as in players and great pee wee program also!

I like both and consider both very close.

If you look at the teams they have played in week 1 for the last 7 years, I think you might understand their slow start.

Elder 02

Highlands 03-06

Beechwood 07 -08

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both teams but Dixie is always a slow starter early in season,I have never understood that but as the season goes they get better.With Campbell County they always have a lot of size and the numbers as in players and great pee wee program also!

I like both and consider both very close.

The reason I ask is that for the past couple years, the games between the two have not even been close. Dixie has outscored Campbell 97 to 20, and they return essentially the same team as last year. I just don't understand how you can rank Campbell ahead of them. :idunno:

I disagree I think it has more to do with the competition they play early, They do get better as the season goes but their competition gets easier also.

It's a combination of things IMO. Yes, they do start with tough competition, but they are out of shape compared to the teams they're playing, and they're still tinkering with personnel. They always seem to be a step behind at the start of the season.

The reason I ask is that for the past couple years, the games between the two have not even been close. Dixie has outscored Campbell 97 to 20, and they return essentially the same team as last year. I just don't understand how you can rank Campbell ahead of them. :idunno:

It's a combination of things IMO. Yes, they do start with tough competition, but they are out of shape compared to the teams they're playing, and they're still tinkering with personnel. They always seem to be a step behind at the start of the season.

It has to be more than just conditioning, otherwise how does Dixie just last year or the year before beat CovCath during the regular season but lose to them in the playoffs. Did Dixie hit their peak conditioning during the season but get out of shape by playoff time? I don't think so. But maybe my example is a freak occurence. Again, I don't think so.

It has to be more than just conditioning, otherwise how does Dixie just last year or the year before beat CovCath during the regular season but lose to them in the playoffs. Did Dixie hit their peak conditioning during the season but get out of shape by playoff time? I don't think so. But maybe my example is a freak occurence. Again, I don't think so.

:confused: Where did this come from? We're talking early season struggles. How does them losing in the playoffs to a team they beat during the regular season relate?

:confused: Where did this come from? We're talking early season struggles. How does them losing in the playoffs to a team they beat during the regular season relate?

From the context of Dixie needing to play its way into shape. Some have postulated that Dixie struggles early because they are not in shape. If such is the case, Dixie should be better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning or even the middle. If so, how does Dixie beat CovCath in the regular season yet lose to them in the playoffs? If they are playing themselves into shape, wouldn't they be in better shape during the playoffs than they were earlier in the season, and if so shouldn't they have beat CovCath in the playoffs having beaten them in the regular season? Maybe just a bad example, but it does, at least in my little mind, offer contrary evidence to the "they lose early because they are not in shape" theory. I have my own theory, but I'll keep it to myself.

From the context of Dixie needing to play its way into shape. Some have postulated that Dixie struggles early because they are not in shape. If such is the case, Dixie should be better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning or even the middle. If so, how does Dixie beat CovCath in the regular season yet lose to them in the playoffs? If they are playing themselves into shape, wouldn't they be in better shape during the playoffs than they were earlier in the season, and if so shouldn't they have beat CovCath in the playoffs having beaten them in the regular season? Maybe just a bad example, but it does, at least in my little mind, offer contrary evidence to the "they lose early because they are not in shape" theory. I have my own theory, but I'll keep it to myself.

No.................Please share!!!!!

IMO, conditioning plays a role in their struggles early on, but it's not the entire story. However, I do believe conditioning played a big role in their loss to Beechwood a couple years ago on that hot Saturday morning. Watching Dixie through the years, you'll see kids bending over, hands on hips, hands over head, etc gasping for air in the 2nd half early in the season. You never see Beechwood, CCH, or Highlands doing this. Last year, I believe they finally made a step in the right direction.

In the past, have they played themselves into shape? I absolutely believe so. Was their conditioning their sole reason for losing any game? Absolutely not. That CCH regular season game 2 years ago caught CCH off guard, and Dixie executed near flawlessly. In the playoff game, CCH was ready for Dixie's offense, and they made the adjustements necessary to win that game. On that night, they were the better team.

Please PM me your theory. I would like to hear it. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Folks remember this: CovCath is going to be back this year and I mean really back. The excitement that Wirth has restored to the Blue Colonels program, the kids and the supporters is in and of itself going make a big, big improvement on the field. The spread offense will really help also.

Too many folks are thinking this year's CovCath team is going to be similar to the last two years and I think they are mistaken. Any one and I mean any one, including Highlands, that doesn't take CovCath seriously will be in for a big (and unpleasant) surprise. The first Midnight Maxoff is just a small example of the positive changes Wirth is making in Park Hills. Glad to hear of the excitement for football being restored at CovCath.

Let's hear some thoughts about New Cath.......

I think that they will be pretty good this year. Yes, they have lost some key players but they have several good ones moving up and most of the O-Line is returning. I would place them at #2 or #3 definitely.

Folks remember this: CovCath is going to be back this year and I mean really back. The excitement that Wirth has restored to the Blue Colonels program, the kids and the supporters is in and of itself going make a big, big improvement on the field. The spread offense will really help also.

Too many folks are thinking this year's CovCath team is going to be similar to the last two years and I think they are mistaken. Any one and I mean any one, including Highlands, that doesn't take CovCath seriously will be in for a big (and unpleasant) surprise. The first Midnight Maxoff is just a small example of the positive changes Wirth is making in Park Hills. Glad to hear of the excitement for football being restored at CovCath.

There is a positive air in Park Hills again. Dave Wirth is a strong communicator which, like it or not, is very important for the top man of a program.

I'm a bit more cautious in my praise and expectations for this year's team than you are at this point. Lots of questions and lots of inexperience. Installing a new offense that is a qb-dominant offense with a qb that hasn't played concerns me. The o-line being inexperienced concerns me.

What doesn't concern me is the level of coaching these boys will receive. I've heard nothing but high praise for the quality of the staff.