How has the Bank done so far?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mis-posted this on the Mason-Clark County thread, so I will cut and paste it here where it belongs. This happens when you get old.

Based on my observations of the Bluegrass-Buckeye games at the BOKC and my experiences from having played at the Cintas Center and attending Ohio Sectionals held at the Shoemaker Center, I stole a line from a 10th Region hard-liner, who will remain nameless, and declared that the BOKC "ain't high school and sure isn't the 10th Region."

After attending each 9th Region game and 10th Region game played here over the past week, I've come to the conclusion that "we aren't in Kansas anymore" and that the BOKC did provide a fitting setting for the 10th Region Tournament. It housed a 10th Region Championship game, attended by a huge partisan 10th Region crowd, despite the early 6pm start time, traffic jams on US27, and long lines for tickets. I think the place acquitted itself well, and may well have helped the 37th District shed a bit of our past reputation as Yankees and Carpetbaggers and softened the overall perception of what the 37th District has to bring to the table. Perhaps we've brought something new and fresh to our storied region, something that the teams, coaches, and players of the 10th will actually look forward to every four years, despite the premiums spent in milage and travel time, ticket costs, and concession rates. I even think that perhaps the ticket costs and more favorable scheduling might be better negotiated (with at least students and young children getting a break) now that the tournament has shown an ability to reap a profit. I can't see how the 9th Region Girls could have possibly enjoyed their experience playing before 8,000 empty seats every night, and might be willing to take their show back to a major high school setting, while still sharing in some of the profits from the boys tournament. Sheer speculation.

We are a house divided and always will be due to the geometric layout of our region, so perhaps biting the bullet and establishing the three venue rotation will bring some degree of compromise to our ranks, while still maintaining the tradition and history of the "former" 10th Region.

You won't get a complaint from me on the BOK Arena. I attended two games of the girls regional. The parking is great. The walk from the parking lot is short. It sure beats finding parking on side streets at some of the local high schools.

I went Monday and Tuesday, it is an excellent facility. Being raised in the 10th Region and knowing only The Fieldhouse and the great games their and atmosphere, I am probably going against tradition, but I wouldn't mind seeing it played every year at NKU. The comfort of the seats as I get older, far outweigh the bleachers at the fieldhouse. Until they remodel the fieldhouse and get chair back seats in lower section, I say have it at NKU.

I went Monday and Tuesday, it is an excellent facility. Being raised in the 10th Region and knowing only The Fieldhouse and the great games their and atmosphere, I am probably going against tradition, but I wouldn't mind seeing it played every year at NKU. The comfort of the seats as I get older, far outweigh the bleachers at the fieldhouse. Until they remodel the fieldhouse and get chair back seats in lower section, I say have it at NKU.

:eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Iknow, I know, you are surprised to hear a Mason Co, fan say that but after years of sitting on unforgiving bleachers, a nice cushioned seat is a relief on my back and bottom. These younger fans in their 20's and 30's might change their minds too when they reach 50.:thumb:

The ability to watch two regional finals in the same evening was a real treat.

I'm with big royal daddy. take it to the 'Bank' every year. :walk:

No way!! As a 10th region fan all we did was play as a warm up to the 9th region game. Yes the Arena is top of the line and very impressive. But the environment for the 10th region game was not that great. The crowd wasn't big either, there have been a lot bigger crowds to witness a 10th region final game. Now the 9th regoin game was impressive. The arena wasn't full but had a pretty good crowd and the environment was great. I think the 9th region should be played there every year but I just don't think its for the 10th region. Can't be playing the 10th region finals at 6 and pretty much being a warm up for the 9th region.

I mis-posted this on the Mason-Clark County thread, so I will cut and paste it here where it belongs. This happens when you get old.

Based on my observations of the Bluegrass-Buckeye games at the BOKC and my experiences from having played at the Cintas Center and attending Ohio Sectionals held at the Shoemaker Center, I stole a line from a 10th Region hard-liner, who will remain nameless, and declared that the BOKC "ain't high school and sure isn't the 10th Region."

After attending each 9th Region game and 10th Region game played here over the past week, I've come to the conclusion that "we aren't in Kansas anymore" and that the BOKC did provide a fitting setting for the 10th Region Tournament. It housed a 10th Region Championship game, attended by a huge partisan 10th Region crowd, despite the early 6pm start time, traffic jams on US27, and long lines for tickets. I think the place acquitted itself well, and may well have helped the 37th District shed a bit of our past reputation as Yankees and Carpetbaggers and softened the overall perception of what the 37th District has to bring to the table. Perhaps we've brought something new and fresh to our storied region, something that the teams, coaches, and players of the 10th will actually look forward to every four years, despite the premiums spent in milage and travel time, ticket costs, and concession rates. I even think that perhaps the ticket costs and more favorable scheduling might be better negotiated (with at least students and young children getting a break) now that the tournament has shown an ability to reap a profit. I can't see how the 9th Region Girls could have possibly enjoyed their experience playing before 8,000 empty seats every night, and might be willing to take their show back to a major high school setting, while still sharing in some of the profits from the boys tournament. Sheer speculation.

We are a house divided and always will be due to the geometric layout of our region, so perhaps biting the bullet and establishing the three venue rotation will bring some degree of compromise to our ranks, while still maintaining the tradition and history of the "former" 10th Region.

I'm with ya. :thumb: Pretty much how I feel.

No way!! As a 10th region fan all we did was play as a warm up to the 9th region game. Yes the Arena is top of the line and very impressive. But the environment for the 10th region game was not that great. The crowd wasn't big either, there have been a lot bigger crowds to witness a 10th region final game. Now the 9th regoin game was impressive. The arena wasn't full but had a pretty good crowd and the environment was great. I think the 9th region should be played there every year but I just don't think its for the 10th region. Can't be playing the 10th region finals at 6 and pretty much being a warm up for the 9th region.

I've been to Mason Co several times in years past and no way they would have had that big of a crowd last night had it been at the fieldhouse or been able to hold that many fans. There was every bit of 7000+ there by halftime.

Having it at the BOKC also brings out more casual fans that rarely attend the HS games. IMO the 10th region will be there every year that the 37th hosts the tournament. You also have to remember if the 10th were to have a long term contract with the BOKC, such as the 9th, they'd be able to work something out where they rotated the 9th/10th double header for each to play in the "primetime" slot every other year...or they could just play them on separate nights. IMO the double header brings out a lot more fans though.

I've been to Mason Co several times in years past and no way they would have had that big of a crowd last night had it been at the fieldhouse or been able to hold that many fans. There was every bit of 7000+ there by halftime.

Having it at the BOKC also brings out more casual fans that rarely attend the HS games. IMO the 10th region will be there every year that the 37th hosts the tournament. You also have to remember if the 10th were to have a long term contract with the BOKC, such as the 9th, they'd be able to work something out where they rotated the 9th/10th double header for each to play in the "primetime" slot every other year...or they could just play them on separate nights. IMO the double header brings out a lot more fans though.

If they would have played the 10th Region finals at Mason Co. we would have had enough seats to hold the crowd. Some of the crowd at the first game was Boone Co. and Holmes fans who would not have been at the fieldhouse. That being said, it would have been a packed house and the band and crowd noise would have had the place rockin', but I enjoyed myself better at NKU because I was more comfortable.

Babguy, I disagree. I for one (and the 15 fellow basketball fanatics I was with ) would not have been watching the 10th finals if it had not been played in conjunction with the 9th or at BOK. We had multiple school and region affiliations and we only went due to the finals being a double header. I agree the 6:00 start was difficult for a lot of 10th region folks. But the crowd WAS there, the excitement WAS there. With the girls 9th also playing this weekend it made for a lot of games to be played in a short window. I'd like to see the 9th/10th boys finals to be held on a weekend evening to allow those that have to travel, time to get there and be home at a decent hour. I hope you enjoy your bench seat next year at the fieldhouse, there will be 16 seats that will either be empty or filled by the home crowd.

It was a nice option to bring the 10th and showcase them in the backyard of the 9th. I think the 10th teams did themsevles proud and earned much due repsect in Northern KY. My biggest dissappointment was lack of a write up by Enquirer columnist Ryan Ernst regarding the 10th matchup.

The tenth does have an agreement that the next time they play a double header with the 9th, they get prime time.