1977 Ashland Tomcats VS. 2009 Elliott County Lions

ACE

Many of you are probably not familiar with the 1977 Tomcats, but the Paul Patterson(never lost to a 16th region opponent) coached Tomcats made it to the state tournament semifinals on Saturday morning before losing to the eventual champion, ironically Louisville Ballard. How would this game play out with the disciplined Patterson offense and defense against the run happy Lions. Patterson had 2 first team All State players(as well as Ky-Indiana All Stars) in Jeff Kovach and Jim Harkins, Elliott probably has 2 to 4 All State caliber players in Ferguson, Faulkner, Faulkner and Knipp. I loved this Ashland team but have the utmost respect and admiration for what this Elliott team has and is still accomplishing. I predict a 70-70 overtime game. How's that for a cop out?

PS-Elliott County-Bring the 16th Region a State Championship!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different eras, different games ... the 3-point line has changed the sport dramatically. These two teams didn't play by the same rules.

I would have liked to have seen either of the teams mentioned above against the 2002-2003 Rose Hill team prior to the departure of Walker in late January. That team had two future NBA players to go with Marques Dawson (still holds the state record for steals in a game and received a D-1 scholarship), Zach Gillum, and Mark King.

I don't believe either of the other teams could compete with that team. It had too much athleticism and much too much quickness. Walker, Mayo, and Dawson were also fine dunkers- particularly Walker who may be the best in state history.

That team won't win a popularity contest among partisans in the 16th Region- particularly around Ashland- for both valid reasons and jealousy (more of the latter than the former) but, if we are honest, there were none better in the last 47 years (that excludes the 1961 Ashland team which may or may not have been able to play with the 2002-2003 Walker edition Royals).

Many of you are probably not familiar with the 1977 Tomcats, but the Paul Patterson(never lost to a 16th region opponent) coached Tomcats made it to the state tournament semifinals on Saturday morning before losing to the eventual champion, ironically Louisville Ballard. How would this game play out with the disciplined Patterson offense and defense against the run happy Lions. Patterson had 2 first team All State players(as well as Ky-Indiana All Stars) in Jeff Kovach and Jim Harkins, Elliott probably has 2 to 4 All State caliber players in Ferguson, Faulkner, Faulkner and Knipp. I loved this Ashland team but have the utmost respect and admiration for what this Elliott team has and is still accomplishing. I predict a 70-70 overtime game. How's that for a cop out?

PS-Elliott County-Bring the 16th Region a State Championship!!

I am not a Tomcat fan but I do know they lost to Louisville VALLEY in the semifinals that year, not Ballard, I was at the game.

Who were the guards on that Ashland team? I think Elliott County would have had a tough time against the size of Harkins and Kovach, but I don't know if the Ashland guards would have been able to handle the pressure of the Elliott County guards.

I am not a Tomcat fan but I do know they lost to Louisville VALLEY in the semifinals that year, not Ballard, I was at the game.

I stand corrected, you are correct. My memory failed me slightly. Ballard did win in the finals, correct??

Who were the guards on that Ashland team? I think Elliott County would have had a tough time against the size of Harkins and Kovach, but I don't know if the Ashland guards would have been able to handle the pressure of the Elliott County guards.

Greg Swift, extremely effective point guard, Dale Dummitt the other guard. The small forward position was manned by either Mark Swift or Daryl Smith.

I would have liked to have seen either of the teams mentioned above against the 2002-2003 Rose Hill team prior to the departure of Walker in late January. That team had two future NBA players to go with Marques Dawson (still holds the state record for steals in a game and received a D-1 scholarship), Zach Gillum, and Mark King.

I don't believe either of the other teams could compete with that team. It had too much athleticism and much too much quickness. Walker, Mayo, and Dawson were also fine dunkers- particularly Walker who may be the best in state history.

That team won't win a popularity contest among partisans in the 16th Region- particularly around Ashland- for both valid reasons and jealousy (more of the latter than the former) but, if we are honest, there were none better in the last 47 years (that excludes the 1961 Ashland team which may or may not have been able to play with the 2002-2003 Walker edition Royals).

:thumb:

I stand corrected, you are correct. My memory failed me slightly. Ballard did win in the finals, correct??

Yes, Jeff Lamp, Lee Raker and Co. took home the title that night. Ashland was obviously very good that year but not real deep, to take nothing away from Valley but it was pretty clear right from the start of that game that Ashland had no legs left. If Valley and Ashland had played 10 times that year with both being rested I'd say Ashland probably would have won 8-9 of them.

And trust me, Ashland's guards were very good and VERY fundamentally sound, they would've handled Elliott's pressure easily. It would be a good game but with Kovach and Harkins inside I'd have to say Ashland probably would've won. They were VERY good defensively and VERY patient offensively.

I wasn't there, but I have trouble believing that Ashland would have beaten Valley, a team that came out of Louisville and finshed as the state runner-up, eight or nine out of 10 times.

It's one thing to think that Ashland may have been the better team, but it isn't like Valley wasn't playing their third game in the same number of days.

I remember those Tomcat teams of Patterson's, that was some very good basketball to say the least. Patterson was great basketball coach to say the least. He certainly had a different style of play than Elliot but was very sucsessful as well. That would be a game that would be hard to pick but would be very entertaining to watch the two completely different styles go at it.:popcorn:

Win or lose I would give the coaching edge to Ashland and Patterson, JMO. Right now, with them being close to my age (51) I would think that those guys on the 77' Tomcat team would be somewhat out of shape so Elliot would probaby wear them down and come away with the victory.:D

BTW Elliot Co. players and fans, I am pulling for you all the way -- I hope that you take the Sweet Sixteen / Ky. State Championship!:thumb::thumb:

Greg Swift, extremely effective point guard, Dale Dummitt the other guard. The small forward position was manned by either Mark Swift or Daryl Smith.

You mentioned Dale Dummit, he had one of the best looking jump shots that I have seen, perfect shooting form.:thumb:

I wasn't there, but I have trouble believing that Ashland would have beaten Valley, a team that came out of Louisville and finshed as the state runner-up, eight or nine out of 10 times.

It's one thing to think that Ashland may have been the better team, but it isn't like Valley wasn't playing their third game in the same number of days.

I was there and watched all of both teams games, Ashland almost won anyway but they looked like they were playing in a swimming pool full of water about chest deep and Valley was bouncing all over the place. Ashland was the much better team, along with the talent they had they were one of the most disciplined and fundamentally sound teams I have ever seen.