1977 Ashland Tomcats VS. 2009 Elliott County Lions

ACE

You all have to consider the increase in talent level over the last 30 years. In my opinion, and this is only an opinion so everybody dont freak out, I think that you could take any top 10 ky team and put them in the league 30 years ago and they would dominate. Agan just an opionion by seeing the talent levels across all levels of basketball increase over the years.

I totally disagree. I don't think the talent level in the 16th region is anywhere close to what it was 30 years ago.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats fine. Yeah as far as being competitive the 16th region was better 30 years ago, but again if you took West Carter and put them in the league 30 years ago, they would be a contender for the state tourny. But again its an opinion.

I totally disagree. I don't think the talent level in the 16th region is anywhere close to what it was 30 years ago.
Edited by 16thregionfan
spelling

Thats fine. Yeah as far as being competitive the 16th region was better 30 years ago, but again if you took West Carter and put them in the league 30 years ago, they would be a contender for the state tourny. But again its an opinion.

I don't think the 16th regions success, or the lack thereof, the past few years backs up your opinion. The smaller schools such as West Carter and Elliott County have certainly improved the past few years, but you can take a look at the bigger schools such as Ashland, Russell, Boyd County and tell without a doubt that there is no where close to the talent they had in years past. I think it's a matter of the bigger schools, and smaller schools meeting in the middle, and you have an overall more competite region from top to bottom, but the talent not nearly as good IMO. This years Elliott County team is an exception, rather than the norm as far as talent goes.

I don't think the 16th regions success, or the lack thereof, the past few years backs up your opinion. The smaller schools such as West Carter and Elliott County have certainly improved the past few years, but you can take a look at the bigger schools such as Ashland, Russell, Boyd County and tell without a doubt that there is no where close to the talent they had in years past. I think it's a matter of the bigger schools, and smaller schools meeting in the middle, and you have an overall more competite region from top to bottom, but the talent not nearly as good IMO. This years Elliott County team is an exception, rather than the norm as far as talent goes.

I agree with your analysis. I dont think it applies directly to the debate at hand though. If the 77 Ashland team was walking through the region it would apply greatly. I believe the major argument that he and others are making, is that athletes have become stronger over the years.

This is why I try to stay away from comparing teams or players from different eras. I feel they must be judged by how they compared to the era they played in.

I agree with your analysis. I dont think it applies directly to the debate at hand though. If the 77 Ashland team was walking through the region it would apply greatly. I believe the major argument that he and others are making, is that athletes have become stronger over the years.

This is why I try to stay away from comparing teams or players from different eras. I feel they must be judged by how they compared to the era they played in.

I think for that you are absolutely correct that athletes have become stronger and faster over the years, but I don't think that translates into being better basketball players. I don't think players today are students of the game like players of years past. I also don't think that players shoot the ball as well as players that played in the 70's did. Players today are worried about dunking the ball, or playing too much individual ball. I think that is why so many people have falling in love with the way this years Elliott County teams plays. They remind people of the way teams played years ago. They know how to play the game. They play as a team, and not as individuals. For the record, those Ashland teams of the 70's did walk thru the region. Paul Patterson did not lose a single regional game in his years as Tomcat coach.

You are right about the talent; the big schools in the 16th have struggled, but I am just looking at it through the eyes of todays talent compared to the past on all levels of basketball. For example if you put a decent NBA team like the Magic in the past they would dominate; or put Shaq in the 1960's and he would have been better then Wilt. I agree the 16th is not near as competitive (aside from Elliott) then it was when we had the great Ashland teams, I just think that with better trained and overall bigger players, along with more athletic facilities that are available today, great teams from the past would struggle with decent teams of today.

I think for that you are absolutely correct that athletes have become stronger and faster over the years, but I don't think that translates into being better basketball players. I don't think players today are students of the game like players of years past. I also don't think that players shoot the ball as well as players that played in the 70's did. Players today are worried about dunking the ball, or playing too much individual ball. I think that is why so many people have falling in love with the way this years Elliott County teams plays. They remind people of the way teams played years ago. They know how to play the game. They play as a team, and not as individuals. For the record, those Ashland teams of the 70's did walk thru the region. Paul Patterson did not lose a single regional game in his years as Tomcat coach.

I agree as well, thats another reason why I feel it is hard to compare eras. If teams today could not palm the ball constantly and use the jump stop, it takes away alot of the advantages of athleticism.

I feel these matchups often depend by the rules, or interpretation of the rules as they have changed, that they play by.

Hands down? Wow. That is a big statement. Who in the world would be able to stop in inside presence of Kovach and Harkins? Did you see that Ashland team play?

I couldn't find a good answer , I think they would be on the wrong end of the floor most of the night. :thumb: