1977 Ashland Tomcats VS. 2009 Elliott County Lions

ACE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patterson was a great coach but I really believe that Ethan Faulkner would hold his own.

Faulkner certainly would hold his own, that kid could hold his own and then some with any team in any game. I was talking about the better coach, not the players. I honestly don't know who would win the game and since it is a "mythical" game, no one else does either. lol

I was there and watched all of both teams games, Ashland almost won anyway but they looked like they were playing in a swimming pool full of water about chest deep and Valley was bouncing all over the place.
When one team is considerably quicker than the other, it tends to look that way.

Ashland was the much better team, along with the talent they had they were one of the most disciplined and fundamentally sound teams I have ever seen.
Maybe they were and maybe they weren't.

Again, though, Valley played in a tough Louisville region and made it to the state finals, losing to a team that had at least three Division I players on it, one of whom spent a few years in the NBA. I have a tough time believing that any team in this state, unless it was one as talented as Ballard, would have beaten at least eight times out of 10.

When one team is considerably quicker than the other, it tends to look that way.

Again, though, Valley played in a tough Louisville region and made it to the state finals, losing to a team that had at least three Division I players on it, one of whom spent a few years in the NBA. I have a tough time believing that any team in this state, unless it was one as talented as Ballard, would have beaten at least eight times out of 10.

Especially when it's a team from Eastern Kentucky, right westsider?

I can remember a few Ashland teams after 1977 that could play with Elliott. I remember the 95-96 Ashland team was very good also.

Yes the 96 team was very good. They lost to Paintsville in the State Championship game.

Yes the 96 team was very good. They lost to Paintsville in the State Championship game.

The 96 team was good but not nearly as talented at the 77 team. The 96 team made a nice run at Rupp but was not a favorite going into the tournament and wasn't the favorite to win the 16th region.

I still say Faulkner could coach with Patterson.

The 96 team was good but not nearly as talented at the 77 team. The 96 team made a nice run at Rupp but was not a favorite going into the tournament and wasn't the favorite to win the 16th region.

I still say Faulkner could coach with Patterson.

Huh??

I watched Valley's first 2 games and Ashland all year long, Valley WAS NOT considerably quicker than Ashland until the dead legs hit on Saturday morning!!

Not at all, except for the fact that Ashland beat Paducah Tilghman in the first round.

Actually, I really liked that Paintsville team. I was a big fan of J.R. Vanhoose.

That was quite the upset wasn't it? Was Tilghman the favorite coming into the tournmant that year.

So why didn't Valley have "dead legs" on Saturday?

I'm assuming that they had much more depth than Ashland. I guess who each team played prior to that could have had a lot to do with it also. If Valley had a couple of easy games, and Ashland had two tough games. I don't know. Just speculating. Does anybody know who each team played the first two rounds?