Playing both ways...

jbwill2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to have the coaches to be able to 2 platoon. That is as big of a hurdle as getting the kids to do it. The one place to sub out if you can that seems to make the biggest difference is on the OL. If you can keep the OL fresh it makes a bigger difference.

You have to have the coaches to be able to 2 platoon. That is as big of a hurdle as getting the kids to do it. The one place to sub out if you can that seems to make the biggest difference is on the OL. If you can keep the OL fresh it makes a bigger difference.

I actually think OL is a place where you would want a kid to play the whole game, if possible. The continuity is hard to replicate when you bring in a new guy. With combo blocks, double teams, trap schemes and pass blocking techniques like slide protection and roll out and waggle schemes you want guys to stay together in practice and the games. My opinion, obviously, but as an o-line coach I always feel uncomfortable when I have a guy come out of the game.

The DL, however, is a place where you need the constant motor and unless you are running games (line stunts) you can get away with some switching out of guys and having a regular rotation.

I think you mean the opposite of what you wrote... "two-platooning" means having the players specialize on either offense or defense, doesn't it? The previous Highlands coach you are referring to did very little platooning, which caused some of the PR issues you mentioned in your post.

:thumb: Thanks for the catch... and yes, we are on the same page about the coach.

You must be sure to organize your practices so that that your 2 way players get an adequate amount of reps. For instance, if a kid is only playing 20 percent of defensive snaps in games, he does not need 80 percent of the reps in practice.....

Simply you must get your best 11 on the field. In an ideal situation I would never want OL/DL playing both ways b/c they have to/need to play full speed on every play. I would also perfer RB's and LB'ers to be 1-way players only b/c of the punishment to their bodies they take. But sometimes you have no choice and must do what is best for the team/individual player.

I think the first 3 or 4 games are times to develop depth while it is still hot after that you can settle in on playing the top players.

I think 1 of the many reasons Bell Co. has been very sucessful over the past few years is b/c Coach Hilton has a D-line coach and a O-line coach that work with that postion for the entire practice time. Just a few Lineman practice both ways. The means lots of individual time for kids especially younger kids.

Edited by Leonidas

I actually think OL is a place where you would want a kid to play the whole game, if possible. The continuity is hard to replicate when you bring in a new guy. With combo blocks, double teams, trap schemes and pass blocking techniques like slide protection and roll out and waggle schemes you want guys to stay together in practice and the games. My opinion, obviously, but as an o-line coach I always feel uncomfortable when I have a guy come out of the game.

The DL, however, is a place where you need the constant motor and unless you are running games (line stunts) you can get away with some switching out of guys and having a regular rotation.

Good point. The guys that have been in there have already sized one another up and should know what to expect play after play and know how to get their job done.

I was not very clear in my statement. What I was saying was that your OL should only play one way. So they are being subbed on defense as in they do not play defense. We do not play any of our OL both ways. The little guys can run all day and can be subbed at different points through out the game. OL on the otherhand should be one way players.

I would like for my son to have a break every now and then...however, in the real world of small school football, we just do not have the players to sub...we dressed 17 players in the post season and lost one senior starter in the second quarter of the first game...our kids stepped up and still won that game...only to lose handly to Frankfort the next week...so in this case, it is not possible to consider not playing both ways!

Edited by GC2010
spelling

I think it matters more what the other team is able to do. If both teams have numerous players going both ways then the fatigue factor would be equal. If one team is able to platoon then by the end of the game they will probably have the advantage.

I understand the point of the community showing more interest when you are playing more of the kids but, do they come out when your losing, but playing more kids?

Put your athletes on the field. Give your Athletes the ball. Run to your Athletes side. Coach for today, not tomorrow.

I understand the point of the community showing more interest when you are playing more of the kids but, do they come out when your losing, but playing more kids?

Put your athletes on the field. Give your Athletes the ball. Run to your Athletes side. Coach for today, not tomorrow.

I would think all coaches put their best athletes on the field... they worked hard for that honor. As far as community support... you are correct, they do not support a losing program! Heck, it's hard enough to get the community behind a winning program.